Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Queen of suckers! You people are insane. You know what one of the major qualities of a leader is? Wisdom!

Storm all but admitted her mistake and rather putting her/mutant pride aside to stop a small issue from becoming a big one, she's gone full diva and turned down the experience of someone who knows what she's up against.

But hey it's a good thing mutants can't really die any more, because if anyone outside the mutant bubble finds out what they did, The galactic community would destroy them.

Pure incompetence!

This made me laugh out loud - Doom speak fits well here! In all seriousness, Doom barged into a meeting that he had not been invited to; demanded to speak to ‘…he who speaks for Sol…’ (not an exact quote but used here to emphasize his ASSumption that the person speaking for Sol was a man) and then proceeded to lie about an encounter with Storm where he entombed her in Chrome, all the while talking down to her and telling her that only he can save mutantdom from their childishness folly and that they would all owe him big time for it.

Yea. No.

You don’t barge into someone else’s house and tell them they don’t know shit and that they had best take heed from him as he can only save them at a price of his choosing. What an egotistical and maniacal assumption.

Both Doom and Storm are prone to histrionics, and I doubt that Doom would have respected Storm if she had NOT summoned the lightning strike to end his claptrap. I personally think that he was secretly hoping that she would do that to put him in his place.

(Edited: typos)
    Last edited by orionblue; 07-29-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    When someone threatens to hold an entire planet in their debt, you damn well better believe the Regent of said planet won't put up with it. As another poster said, it was a devil's deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I could see where you were coming from if the person offering advice was good at heart, despite being condescending (like Reed or Tony). HOWEVER it’s Doom, who does not offer advice and assistance for free.
    Cmon, we know Doom is a dick! That's not the problem here. Everyone they gave that metal to is being overrun, do you think Arrako/Mars could handle a mindless one invasion?

It's fine is this was all planned and they have a plan to solve the entire situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. You don't burn all your bridges, even if one of them is with Doom.

Because you can guarantee whatever the prices he was going to ask for, will now go up if you ever need to go back to him. That's why diplomacy is important.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    This made me laugh out loud - Doom speak fits well here! In all seriousness, Doom barged into a meeting that he had not been invited to; demanded to speak to ‘…he who speaks for Sol…’ (not an exact quote but used here to emphasize his ASSumption that the person speaking for Sol was a man) and then proceeded to lie about an encounter with Storm where he entombed her in Chrome, all the while talking down to her and telling her that only he can save mutantdom from their childishness folly and that they would all owe him big time for it.

Yea. No.

You don’t barge into someone else’s house and tell them they don’t know shit and that they had best take heed from him as he can only save them at a price of his choosing. What an egotistical and maniacal assumption.

Both Doom and Storm are prone to histrionics, and I doubt that Doom would have respected Storm if she had NOT summoned the lightning strike to end his claptrap. I personally think that he was secretly hoping that she would do that to put him in his place.

(Edited: typos)
    perfectly and beautifully said!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Right? The lightning bolt is the super hero equivalent of slamming a fist on the table or tossing a drink in the face of someone insulting you. Its FUN and FLASHY.
    It's a classic power move to underline that the hero isn't intimidated by the power of the person (usualy villian or antagonistic character) they are arguing with, because they have grand power aswell.

In the right moment they are also good to undermine a "shut up" where the hero does not feel like needing to even bother arguing with an enemy or antagonist, because the reader is supposed to know they are in the right away.

However it's also a move which i think writers need to handle with care, because it also runs a high risk of undermining the presentation of the hero as being in the right or at least being able to argue correctly without requiring to show their might. Especialy when the writers overuse making them do such moves, while also giving the heros weak arguments, essentialy making them look less capable.

To quote the Discworld book Feet of Clay, where a Golem is hit by a lightning after arguing that he doesn't see much evidence for gods: "I Don't Call That Much Of An Argument."

It's of course not the situation here, but i feel with Storm some writers need to be carefull about making her solve arguments with lightning strikes (or stabbing).

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare View Post
    Cmon, we know Doom is a dick! That's not the problem here. Everyone they gave that metal to is being overrun, do you think Arrako/Mars could handle a mindless one invasion?

It's fine is this was all planned and they have a plan to solve the entire situation, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. You don't burn all your bridges, even if one of them is with Doom.

Because you can guarantee whatever the prices he was going to ask for, will now go up if you ever need to go back to him. That's why diplomacy is important.

I actually disagree that this was diplomacy. This was Doom being Doom and telling Storm that she (mutantdom) was childish amd had effed up and only he can save the day, but that there would be a price for them all to pay.

Diplomacy would be where he had an actual discussion with Storm mano-a-womano/mutant and explained to Storm that he suspected/knew where Mysterium was taken and that he suspects that there would be repercussions and he would like to help as a quid pro quo situation or they could work something out together to the benefit everyone.

Storm also knows Doom and knows how he works - I doubt Ewing set this dinner up just to make Storm come crawling back to Doom to be saved at a later date…at least I hope Ewing is a better writer than that.

I actually disagree that this was diplomacy. This was Doom being Doom and telling Storm that she (mutantdom) was childish amd had effed up and only he can save the day, but that there would be a price for them all to pay.

Diplomacy would be where he had an actual discussion with Storm mano-a-womano/mutant and explained to Storm that he suspected/knew where Mysterium was taken and that he suspects that there would be repercussions and he would like to help as a quid pro quo situation or they could work something out together to the benefit everyone.

Storm also knows Doom and knows how he works - I doubt Ewing set this dinner up just to make Storm come crawling back to Doom to be saved at a later date…at least I hope Ewing is a better writer than that.
    The only way Storm goes back to him is things REALLY hit the fan in regards to this alloy they are giving to the rest of the galaxy. Which begs the question, if Ewing does take it to that level, just what is it he plans to unleash? When he made Galactus a healer instead of a devourer of worlds that had consequences that required cosmic level assistance...so what happens when he has the X-men dabbling in the White Hot Room? What is the consequence?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It's of course not the situation here, but i feel with Storm some writers need to be carefull about making her solve arguments with lightning strikes (or stabbing).
    There's an interesting parallel to how Emma and Monet have been addressing situations with big flashy power moves as well. Both have been criticized (rightly, IMO, although it's totally in-character for those two!) for being more focused on how something looks in the short-term over it's long-term effectiveness or consequences, and I'm amused in how it's less in-character for Ororo to make an unwise style-over-substance power move, and yet somehow more 'acceptable.'

I don't think Doom cares all that much about the mysterium because after Brand made her presentation in the previous issue, he barged in and said, "why should I care?"

He used his knowledge to flex on the newest power in the cosmos. And I agree and believe he knew a lightning bolt was coming and purposely asked for it.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

Nice! Do we know where this is from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I don't think Doom cares all that much about the mysterium because after Brand made her presentation in the previous issue, he barged in and said, "why should I care?"

He used his knowledge to flex on the newest power in the cosmos. And I agree and believe he knew a lightning bolt was coming and purposely asked for it.
    More of an “I know, and I want you to know that I know your secret”. Purposely showing up at the time of attack. As Storm asked, “why would we need help from you?”

Nice! Do we know where this is from?
    no I unfortunately don't. I saw it on twitter. if I find out will let u know.

I have no problem with Storm not accepting Doom's offer. My problem is how it's presented. Let's think of it this way. If Storm needs Doom's help for some reason down the line and Doom dismisses her the same way she did this issue are people gonna be okay with it? If the answer is yes then we have no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I have no problem with Storm not accepting Doom's offer. My problem is how it's presented. Let's think of it this way. If Storm needs Doom's help for some reason down the line and Doom dismisses her the same way she did this issue are people gonna be okay with it? If the answer is yes then we have no problem.
    Of course it will be okay. In fact, that is a possibility the story is setting up. We have to wait and see what happens.

The thing is, at least for me, a lot of the problem I have with the conversations with mutants "don't know what they're doing" or "are playing gods" or "are closing the door to humans" is that it removes the fact that whether they fail or not is not as important as to see if they story leads to somewhere engaging or not. They could fall. Of course they could fall this whole thing could blow up in their faces. But it also could go okay. We won't know until we reach the end of this era, whenever that is. I think given their history in the MU and their experiences mutants have earn the right to play this as close to the vest as they choose. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I think this is a false equivalency. storm has not treated doom the way he has throughout their history of knowing each other: