Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    its definitely an ethnic group. however, if lets say a Romani person was filling out a census form what race would they select? based upon what I've read of doom i would assume he would select white however maybe I've been wrong here. if not white would it be other, Asian, or mixed?
    If we go by the latest US Census Bureau categories for race they would be:

• White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. ...
    • Black or African American. ...
    • American Indian and Alaska Native. ...
    • Asian. ...
    • Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander. ...

I guess a Roma would be Asian since they include the subcontinent of India in that category.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

• White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. ...
    • Asian. ...

I guess a Roma would be Asian since they include the subcontinent of India in that category.
    thats what I was thinking but I was curious if canonically this was ever stated.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I was just thinking, since I am a big Queen fan, I bet most people here thinks the lead singer, the late great Freddie Mercury is white. His real name is Farrokh Bulsara and his parents were Parsi-Indian from Western India.
    I knew he was born in Zanzibar and spent some time in India but I didn't know his parents were Parsis. I'm not the biggest Queen fan though I like some of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I wonder if a lot of it has to do with racial issues in the US, and the ignorance of how other groups have been treated abroad.
    That is true. I do recall when they had his profile on the Biography channel, the British were not all that welcoming to the influx of refugees from the rebellion in the British Protectorate of Zanzibar. His parents and their children were considered British citizens when the family fled the country during the revolution of 1964 when the Sultan of Zanzibar was overthrown.

thats what I was thinking but I was curious if canonically this was ever stated.
    You mean that he is a Roma or that he is considered Asian? In Fantastic Four annual #2 his ethnicity is key part to the origin story.

I'm a Jack Kirby fan and I have been buying issues of the Jack Kirby Collector magazine and they have a lot of wonderful interviews with Kirby from back in the day. Jack Kirby was a private in WWII and he served in General Patton's regiment as an advance patrol for his outfit...

There they went, over the side, and then my buddies and me opened up the stockades. I thought I was going to see Prisoners of War, you know, some of our guys that got caught in some of the early fighting—but what I saw would pin you to the spot like it did me. Most of these people were Polish; Polish Jews who were working in some of the nearby factories. I don't remember if the place really had a name, it was a smaller camp—not like Auschwitz, but it was horrible just the same. Just horrible. There were mostly women and some men; they looked like they hadn't eaten for I don't know how long. They were scrawny. Their clothes were all tattered and dirty. The Germans didn't give a sh*t for anything. They just left the place; just like leaving a dog behind to starve. I was standing there for a long time just watching, thinking to myself, "What do I do?" Just thinking about it makes my stomach turn. All I could say was, "Oh, God."
    So I know this is a bit off subject but my theory has always been that Jack Kirby wrote a lot of Doom's origin. There's always been this Stan vs Jack controversy over who did what but considering Kirby served in Europe he probably saw a lot of the how the "undesirable" people were treated by the Germans. Even after the war it didn't really stop for some.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

You mean that he is a Roma or that he is considered Asian? In Fantastic Four annual #2 his ethnicity is key part to the origin story.

I'm a Jack Kirby fan and I have been buying issues of the Jack Kirby Collector magazine and they have a lot of wonderful interviews with Kirby from back in the day. Jack Kirby was a private in WWII and he served in General Patton's regiment as an advance patrol for his outfit...

So I know this is a bit off subject but my theory has always been that Jack Kirby wrote a lot of Doom's origin. There's always been this Stan vs Jack controversy over who did what but considering Kirby served in Europe he probably saw a lot of the how the "undesirable" people were treated by the Germans. Even after the war it didn't really stop for some.

I meant that he was considered Asian.

thanks for the info.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, THE REGENT OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

thanks for the info.
    One thing that greatly annoys me is that there isn't much focus on how Slavs, Romani people and homosexuals were treated by Nazis in media.

thanks for the info.
    I guess going by the government standards he would fall under Asian for race. It's such an unscientific category. There were a lot of nomadic people in the early days of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Will do. Thanks.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/storm...eteran-722814/

This thread has a lot of hand to hand skill showings that should be helpful. I think it would be a good fight. Doom has some decent showings and he is a cunning fighter. I just think Storm has the better report card between the two. Storm has consistently fought and beaten people who are not only well trained and seasoned fighters but were also physically superior to both her and an unarmored Doom (i.e. Callisto, Marrow, and Crimson Commando for example). And her strikes were strong enough to break T'Challa's ribs and jaw in World's Apart. I think she'd take him in a hand to hand fight but would lose if the fight involved powers.
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 08-04-2021 at 12:11 AM.

• Asian. ...

That system is rooted in outdated 18th century ideas, basically invented by white European men looking to prove that they were somehow genetically superior and more worthy. Of course, in reality, the genetic difference doesn’t really exist and there aren’t actually sub-races of Humanity - just Humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    That system is rooted in outdated 18th century ideas, basically invented by white European men looking to prove that they were somehow genetically superior and more worthy. Of course, in reality, the genetic difference doesn’t really exist and there aren’t actually sub-races of Humanity - just Humans.
    Oh I agree and It's surprising that the government still uses this kind of thing. I used to work with an organization that ran a lot of the Head Start sites and I would have to pull data to create reports for this kind of stats to send to the federal offices of the Head Start program. Their categories a bit different, consisting of White, Bi-racial / Multi-racial, Unspecified/Other, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black or African American, and Native Hawaiin/Pacific Islander. For ethnicity it's just Hispanic or Latino Origin and Non-Hispanic or Latino Origin

source: https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/about-...scal-year-2017

It makes me very sad to hear that the media ends up whitening the Romanis, and a lot of people end up ignoring it, I'll never accept what they did to Scarlert Witch in MCU, and I bet they will do it to Doom too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It makes me very sad to hear that the media ends up whitening the Romanis, and a lot of people end up ignoring it, I'll never accept what they did to Scarlert Witch in MCU, and I bet they will do it to Doom too.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they do and I will find it a missed opportunity. All the movie Dooms ignored it so far and I fear that will continue. I wish we could find out what was in Noah Hawley's script that Fox was considering before they sold the rest of the Marvel properties back to Disney / Marvel.

Fox actually had a Doom solo movie in the works before the sale but once it was decided they would settle with Marvel, the project never came to fruition. There was a recent write up about : Everthing We Know about the Canceled Doctor Doom Movie

This is part tells a bit about Noah Hawley's description of what he was working on.

Hawley has only offered a few details on what his Doctor Doom script entailed. Comments from the writer have revealed that it would have been a “political thriller” and “a kind of Cold War, geopolitical movie”. These comments indicate that Hawley’s plan was to lean into Doom’s role as the dictator of Latveria, which is the fictional country he rules in the comic books. This is an important element of his character that’s key to the level of authority and power that he has holds in the Marvel Universe. It looks like Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom would have been the first to adequately explore this aspect of his story.
    It doesn't say anything about him going into Doom's Romani background so we will never know how that would have turned out.