Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default FF #34 / Bride of Doom, Final Chapter: The Sacred vow of Victor von Doom

At last we're done with this story. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought it might but it's still not something that many will remember in a year or so.

I think this final installment would have played out better if Slott had not infected Zora/Victorious with a some plot induced stupidity in the previous issue by having a brief liaison with Johnny just before her wedding. Her second act of stupidity was to announce the fact right in the middle of her wedding as it was being broadcast to the Latverian people and the world.

Never let it be said that Doom is media savvy because this time Slott has him put the whole broadcast on a 2 minute delay.
    Slott also trots out a Doom weapon of mass destruction called the Armagedron because you can't pass up an opportunity to include a weapon of mass destruction when you are visiting Latveria.. One would think Doom would come up with a name that wasn't so corny. But this is comics. As all Hell breaks loose around them and Namor finds the time to hit on Sue and once again she rejects him. A note Future FF writers. No....Just No

Johnny's fate has pretty much been spoiled already so there's not much to discuss here. But the chances of this being reversed at some point are pretty good. Maybe in time for next summer's "epic " from Slott. If he hasn't chances are good the next writer will take care of it. But Victorious's future is not as hopeful. Struck by PIS syndrome she has fallen from grace and will be nothing more than an obedient lackey to Doom. Doom covers his tracks when he make a live appearance to the masses and proclaims that the wedding was just a "necessary pretense" devised by Zora. I guess he still has some regard for her to concoct that. It actually allows both of them to save face. Speaking of which, Zora's now has to cover her face with a Doom mask. Is this the titled "Sacred Vow" ? I guess to Victor's POV, she has shamed herself and must not show her face anymore. So now she is trapped just as he is.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-28-2021 at 08:43 PM. Reason: error in story title

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    At last we're done with this story. It didn't turn out as bad as I thought it might but it's still not something that many will remember in a year or so.

I think this final installment would have played out better if Slott had not infected Zora/Victorious with a some plot induced stupidity in the previous issue by having a brief liaison with Johnny just before her wedding. Her second act of stupidity was to announce the fact right in the middle of her wedding as it was being broadcast to the Latverian people and the world.

Never let it be said that Doom is media savvy because this time Slott has him put the whole broadcast on a 2 minute delay.
    Slott also trots out a Doom weapon of mass destruction called the Armagedron because you can't pass up an opportunity to include a weapon of mass destruction when you are visiting Latveria.. One would think Doom would come up with a name that wasn't so corny. But this is comics. As all Hell breaks loose Namor around them finds the time to hit on Sue and once again she rejects him. A note Future FF writers. No....Just No

Johnny's fate has pretty much been spoiled already so there's not much to discuss here. But the chances of this being reversed at some point are pretty good. Maybe in time for next summer's "epic " from Slott. If he hasn't chances are good the next writer will take care of it. But Victorious is future is not as hopeful. Struck by PIS syndrome she has fallen from grace and will be nothing more than an obedient lackey to Doom. Doom covers his tracks when he make a live appearance to the masses and proclaims that the wedding was just a "necessary pretense" devised by Zora. I guess he still has some regard for her to concoct that. It actually allows both of them to save face. Speaking of which, Zora's now has to cover her face with a Doom mask. Is this the titled "Sacred Vow" ? I guess to Victor's POV, she has shamed herself and must not show her face anymore. So now she is trapped just as he is.

The plot with Johnny has already been done before. "Changed forever!" Yeah, right.

Spectacular Member

Everything happened pretty much as i way expecting, i thought we get a Sky appearance but i guess that comes later. In general the plot of the issue was really just a big fight scene with quips, literally no B-Plot. Honestly this arc feels like one issue stretched to three

Also the Zora stuff surprised me, i hoped we would see some rebellion but we got three times she choose Doom and she literally became a female version of him at the end. She even called herself the "Bride of Doom", bit on the nose.

Looking at my Sky theory, the soulmate band is once again highly visibly on Johnny and it's literally front and center the last time we see human Johnny, once again a bit on the nose.

If we go by the fact that she could feel his pleasure, she surely must also feel his pain right now? Is Johnny's story going forward gonna be that he has to cure himself in order to save her life?

The future solicits mention the fallout of the arc over and over again, so it will be at least the B-Plot for some months going forward, it's unlikely that it will it be a permanent change for Johnny but as some "risk-reward" evolution of his power it could be interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Iron Maiden, you have a Patreon Account or something? I can’t stand the fact that someone like you wastes time and money for a comic like this, without getting paid.

Slott's Sue is terrible, he writes her like a cliche from the 90s. Who thinks her saying "Ugh, Men" is good in 2021?

All the women in this run are written badly. Being shallow characters who's only personality and existence are about men.

Sky's entire motivation and existence as a character is about Johnny
    Victorious' is the same with her motivation and existence being about Doom
    Alicia is an extension of Ben
    Sue's story is really about Johnny and outside of that she's an extension of Reed

Just horrible all around.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Slott just said yes to my tweet about Johnny not just being aflame permanently. So he's hinting that other changes to Johnny will become apparent in the next issue.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The plot with Johnny has already been done before. "Changed forever!" Yeah, right.
    Yeah, I vaguely remember this happening to him in the past. Didn't Reed make some kind of suit for him to wear that kept him from flaming on?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Iron Maiden, you have a Patreon Account or something? I can’t stand the fact that someone like you wastes time and money for a comic like this, without getting paid.
    No I don't. I'm not even sure what they are.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

No I don't. I'm not even sure what they are.
    It's like you solicit followers to donate to your account for your projects. Lots of YouTubers have Patreon. I support one.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Yeah, I vaguely remember this happening to him in the past. Didn't Reed make some kind of suit for him to wear that kept him from flaming on?
    Actually it was Doom that cured Johnny and also did a twofer by delivering Sue's second child at the same time. Somehow by draining Johnny's excess energy that kept in the flame mode, he was able to safely deliver Valeria and drain off the Negative Zone energy (she was conceived in the Negative Zone) that was part of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Slott's Sue is terrible, he writes her like a cliche from the 90s. Who thinks her saying "Ugh, Men" is good in 2021?

All the women in this run are written badly. Being shallow characters who's only personality and existence are about men.

Sue's story is really about Johnny and outside of that she's an extension of Reed

I have to say that knowing women of many ages over the ages, most women can view themselves as extensions of the male or not having their own agency.
    I think it is society in general, but we in this America have Puritan/Calvanistic type origins, but sex - appeal is used with everything. So we have some sort of cognitive dissonance, about women, or women themselves, don't as a majority, grant themselves this agency. Just my opinion, but it explains why I don't view comic book marriages like Sue and Reed's as some sort of sancrosant tooooo sacred, blah blah blah.

Society creates 'norms' that we mostly fall into place with. We accept the paradigm, that is mostly "judeo-christian".
    that's why it has taken so long for most women, Sue, others, to not be damsels in distress.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Depends on the context.

I'll grant you Sky and Sue here. I still hold out hope there's some nefarious reason to Sky and Johnny having those soulmate bands. And Sue, there's not much except an occasional line to Franklin.

Alicia I see your point, but at least she has stuff going on. She has her clay and she has history with Nicky, two reasonably important subplots. And it's tough to put Alicia in an interesting situation that doesn't revolve around Ben or her kids.

Victorious is all about Doom, but that is what she's all about. She may have varying degrees of independence in how she performs, but it's all in support of Doom. Unlike the other three women mentioned, I think Zora 's story is this. Hopefully she will start to reshow growth and possibly break away from Doom somewhat, but even in Cantwell's Doom series, she was basically Doom's subordinate. But comparing Slott to Cantwell on handling Zora is like comparing elementary school book reports with college theses.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Jeez…given your summary of plot (readily readable and fun by the way) my first reaction was “Jeez, how bad was IM expecting it to be??”.

My second reaction was to be thankful I’m not reading the run.

It all makes me nostalgic for the Lee/ Kirby run…back then radical and permanent changes were possible. If Jack had decided it was a good idea then Doc Doom might simply have got married, experienced happiness, and shown some character growth.

Things like that don’t stick now..it’s like watching Groundhog Day……if Groundhog Day had been boring and the hero didn’t win the woman at end of film and move on to a new life.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 07-28-2021 at 10:37 PM.

Don't get me wrong, I'm only in favor of Doom being the villain in F4 stories, that's okay, it should be, but if in the Herald of Doom it was John Byrne's Doom, then in Bride of Doom it's Doom Kirby / Lee and it's monstrous character regression.
    I expected that at some point he would laugh hahaha and start shaking his hands in the air.
    Likewise, Slott writes everyone. This is Kirby / Lee. Nothing has changed since then.

I don't understand Zora, yes, she is loyal to Doom, but she sleeps with Johnny - so she is not so loyal. But she completely obeys Doom, which means she is loyal. But she saves Johnny, so she's not so loyal. What's wrong with you girl.

This whole story breaks the characters in the way the plot needs. Very bad.