Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I like Doom as he is depicted here. I did not like Unthinkable that much myself.
    I don't like him in the panels with Valeria's delivery.

I think too many writers spoil the brew.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Amazing Member

I just realized something. Doom didn't kill Johnny because he wanted to make him suffer for the rest of his life, but isn't he going to be dead of dehydration in a couple of days anyway?

I remember an issue I read years ago where Johnny had been injured and his flame was out of control. I remember Reed saying that any water he tried to drink would evaporate before it entered his body, and if he couldn't flame off, he'd be dead in a day.

I don't think Doom thought this through ... or Slott didn't.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    I just realized something. Doom didn't kill Johnny because he wanted to make him suffer for the rest of his life, but isn't he going to be dead of dehydration in a couple of days anyway?

I remember an issue I read years ago where Johnny had been injured and his flame was out of control. I remember Reed saying that any water he tried to drink would evaporate before it entered his body, and if he couldn't flame off, he'd be dead in a day.

Probably Slott. Comic book writers and their knowledge of science, etc is a bit sketchy. Where will Johnny live? He can't live with the family or he will burn the place down one would think. He'd have to have asbestos fabrics to even sit down or sleep. But maybe his flame is so hot even that might not work.

I'm hoping it's an Iceman situation where he's living flame, so he doesn't need sustenance like a normal human. I wonder what his highest temperature is now and whether he is more akin to a star than fire. If the former then he may be able to stay aflame in space.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

And thus may meet Frankie Raye again?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Amazing Member

Maybe if the FF can get enough cosmic ray absorbers together, they could fix this. Havok and Bishop come to mind, but I'm sure there are others
    out there that can't absorb cosmic energy.

There is one positive side to this. If noone can come close to Johnny without being incinerated, that pretty much makes him invincible to most of his enemies. Too bad Johnny's heat still isn't powerful enough to get through Doom's armor, or he could have just threatened to give Doom a big hug if he didn't get changed back.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post

Doom also wondered how Johnny can breathe if his flames consumes the oxygen before it reached him, during their battle in time in the Iron Age mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm hoping it's an Iceman situation where he's living flame, so he doesn't need sustenance like a normal human. I wonder what his highest temperature is now and whether he is more akin to a star than fire. If the former then he may be able to stay aflame in space.
    This is similar to what I postulated before. Slott knows Johnny's been unable to flame off at least twice, maybe three times before, so he'll do something else to Johnny to make it different. From his affirmative response to my tweet we will know more next issue. Johnny was able to reach the Planck Temperature briefly at the conclusion of Millar's Master of Doom arc when he absorbed the powers of all his summoned AU counterparts. He had to release all that heat before he would be overwhelmed and consumed by the sheer amount of power.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The message boards weren't around when Crystal cheated on Pietro with a real estate salesman or something. I only read it years later from buying from the back issue bins. It sure didn't make her look good but IIRC it may have been written by Steve Englehart who was one of the worst writers on the Fantastic Four IMO.
    Well, yes, and knowing about how conservative was society back those days I could imagine that it would have seen even as worse, also her cheting of Pietro had lot of consecuenses with her relationship totally broken and Pietro falling mad after it for some time. Some writters intended to get them thogeter again but never stick becuse she alredy has been labeled as a cheater and Pietro as prone to madness attacks. And still is remembered time to time.

While setting Jhonny on flames and make him unable to get intimate with other woman in a while seems to be in character about how petty can Doom be, he is not angry about Jhonny cheating his kind of wife, he is angry about Victorius "cheating" HIM with Jhonny. He is basically punishing Jhonny by proxi since his mistake was having a one night with his "bride to be" even when she wasn't her bride to be back then, but a just a pretty free woman in the opposite band. So making Jhonny FEEL like he were in fire (one of the worst kind of pains, able to kill people just by the shock of it) is disproportionate even by his royal standars.
    Let's remember that Victorius the one who actually "cheated" on him and humillate him by babling in public got away with a tame punishment while Jhonny is in a living hell just because Victorius couldn't confess discretly.

I hope Reed gets able to at least shut down his pain sensors soon.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Well, yes, and knowing about how conservative was society back those days I could imagine that it would have seen even as worse, also her cheting of Pietro had lot of consecuenses with her relationship totally broken and Pietro falling mad after it for some time. Some writters intended to get them thogeter again but never stick becuse she alredy has been labeled as a cheater and Pietro as prone to madness attacks. And still is remembered time to time.

While setting Jhonny on flames and make him unable to get intimate with other woman in a while seems to be in character about how petty can Doom be, he is not angry about Jhonny cheating his kind of wife, he is angry about Victorius "cheating" HIM with Jhonny. He is basically punishing Jhonny by proxi since his mistake was having a one night with his "bride to be" even when she wasn't her bride to be back then, but a just a pretty free woman in the opposite band. So making Jhonny FEEL like he were in fire (one of the worst kind of pains, able to kill people just by the shock of it) is disproportionate even by his royal standars.
    Let's remember that Victorius the one who actually "cheated" on him and humillate him by babling in public got away with a tame punishment while Jhonny is in a living hell just because Victorius couldn't confess discretly.

I hope Reed gets able to at least shut down his pain sensors soon.
    I thought Victorious got the lesser of the two punishments only because I think even though she wounded him deeply, Doom may have some feelings for her and was reluctant to cause her great injury or disfigurement. I still think it's more of a paternal feeling as he stated in writing in his journal in Cantwell's series. I am assuming that she only has to wear the Doom mask in his presence and there is nothing wrong with her face. Slott may fill in some more details in future issues I suppose.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-02-2021 at 09:45 PM.

I thought Victorious got the lesser of the two punishments only because I think even though she wounded him deeply, Doom may have some feelings for her and was reluctant to cause her great injury or disfigurement. I still think it's more of a paternal feelings as he stated in writing in his journal in Cantwell's series. I am assuming that she only has to wear the Doom mask in his presence and there is nothing wrong with her face. Slott may fill in some more details in future issues I suppose.
    I'm pretty sure that the mask is just a symbol, she pretty much said so. If Doom didn't hurt her (and yes I think that was full of love) she has no reason to hurt herself, she is loyal not a senseless Martyr. So I think that Doom was furious but since his feelings didn't let him take his anger on Victorius, he used poor Jhonny as whipping boy.

Of course I hope that after this mess Victorius get back her brain and Doom his parental feelings because just the thought of him marrying a girl young enought to be his Daughter even if was just a political movement is a bit repulsive.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Victorious didn't do anything wrong. She wasn't engaged or in a relationship with Doom when it happened and I think Doom is more embarrassed than anything, which hurts him more than most things. Doom has no right to be angry honestly, the only thing hurt is his ego, but for Doom that's the worst thing someone can do to him.
    Johnny doesn't deserve his "punishment". The only truly hurt party here is Sky and she already dealt with things by leaving.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Victorious didn't do anything wrong. She wasn't engaged or in a relationship with Doom when it happened and I think Doom is more embarrassed than anything, which hurts him more than most things. Doom has no right to be angry honestly, the only thing hurt is his ego, but for Doom that's the worst thing someone can do to him.
    Johnny doesn't deserve his "punishment". The only truly hurt party here is Sky and she already dealt with things by leaving.
    While I kept writting "cheating" on quotation marks and how she was free to pick partner, we have to admit that it Is Doom we are talking here, on his eyes Victorius sleep with the Latverian equivalent of Bin Laden the same night he proposed to him and she know it (that's why she hid Jhonny from Dooms view). While she didn't do anything wrong, she pretty much knew that she was going to hurt him deeply (something very OC for the almost madly loyalty she has show in previous issues). Still I belive that would he know it before the wedding, he would be able to disregard the incident .

Victorius mistake was yell about it on live streamming, in front of important guests, in the worse moment, is like is she were looking the most harmfull and humillating way to unveil the facts. Yes, technically just Doom pride was harmed, but Victorius being someone who knows so well Doom should know that hurting Doom pride is actually the WORST thing that she could do to him. As I said a poor characterization for someone who is supsed to care and know about Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    While I kept writting "cheating" on quotation marks and how she was free to pick partner, we have to admit that it Is Doom we are talking here, on his eyes Victorius sleep with the Latverian equivalent of Bin Laden the same night he proposed to him and she know it (that's why she hid Jhonny from Dooms view). While she didn't do anything wrong, she pretty much knew that she was going to hurt him deeply (something very OC for the almost madly loyalty she has show in previous issues). Still I belive that would he know it before the wedding, he would be able to disregard the incident .

Victorius mistake was yell about it on live streamming, in front of important guests, in the worse moment, is like is she were looking the most harmfull and humillating way to unveil the facts. Yes, technically just Doom pride was harmed, but Victorius being someone who knows so well Doom should know that hurting Doom pride is actually the WORST thing that she could do to him. As I said a poor characterization for someone who is supsed to care and know about Doom.
    I thought the part about her waiting until the wedding was being broadcast to make this big confession was one of the most nonsensical things Slott has written, but then I haven't read his entire FF run. Zora is not an idiot and I think Cantwell demonstrated this much better in his Doom series. She knows full well that Doom will go to extremes when exacting the price for betrayal. He assigned her to kill her own mother when it turned out she was part of the Symkarian conspiracy to blame the attack on the Antlion project on Doom.

The message boards weren't around when Crystal cheated on Pietro with a real estate salesman or something. I only read it years later from buying from the back issue bins. It sure didn't make her look good but IIRC it may have been written by Steve Englehart who was one of the worst writers on the Fantastic Four IMO.
    For God’s sake people! The man has a name! It’s Norm Webster.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

I thought the part about her waiting until the wedding was being broadcast to make this big confession was one of the most nonsensical things Slott has written, but then I haven't read his entire FF run. Zora is not an idiot and I think Cantwell demonstrated this much better in his Doom series. She knows full well that Doom will go to extremes when exacting the price for betrayal. He assigned her to kill her own mother when it turned out she was part of the Symkarian conspiracy to blame the attack on the Antlion project on Doom.
    If this was her plan, could be a good plot twist