Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Nik's Bored-At-Work Fightzone Episode 6 - [Witty Theme Title Here]

You know what time it is, I'm covering reception on their lunch break and want to kill some time.

Okay... see if I can suss out a theme as we go.

------------------------------------------------------

BATTLE 01) Sung Jin-woo (Solo Levelling) versus Team Devil Hunters (DMC V)

The Monarch of Shadows takes on the Devil Hunters.

- Dante
    - Nero
    - Vergil
    - Trish
    - Lady
    - V
    - Lucia (Yes, even her)

Location: Jackson, Wyoming as depicted in The Last Of Us: Part 2. Sung Jin-woo starts off in the centre of the town. The Devil Hunters can approach from any direction alone or in groups.

Caveats: All characters have their strongest loadouts from DMC V or whichever game the most recently appeared in [Lucia]. Sin Devil Trigger is on deck. V and Vergil are able to co-exist through plot fiat.

Jin-woo has all of his shadows and equipment as of the most recent chapter, albeit he's at full health. He knows that he will be invaded but he does not know who or what is coming, the Devil Hunters get standard knowledge. Jin-woo can fly on his dragon around the environs of the town but he cannot go more than 200 metres up or outside of the city limits.

BATTLE 02) Lin Xue Ya/Lin Setsu A and Shang Bu Huan/Sho Fu Kan (Thunderbolt Fantasy) versus Fingolfin and Feanor (LotR)

The patriarchs of the LotR Gank Squad take on the Sword Plundering Nemesis and the Enigmatic Gale from Dong Li.

Location: The Tokyo Olympic Village (without people or covid)

Caveats: Standard loadout for the gank squad but no fear aura for Fingolfin. Lin is suitably motivated to actually fight for once rather than just piss about. No Sorcerous Sword Index for Shang.

BATTLE 03) All For One (My Hero Academia) versus The Justice League (DCAU/Snyder Cut)

The master of evil and horder of quirks takes on the most recent film versions of the Justice League.

- Superman
    - Wonder Woman
    - Batman
    - Aquaman
    - Flash
    - Cyborg

Location: In a populated real-world version of London. The League is there to end the threat and save lives. AFO is there to cause trouble and destroy things.

Caveats: No time travel for Flash, Snyder cut feats on deck for everyone else. AFO has the same loadout of quirks we saw in his battle with All-Might.

Couldn't think of a theme and it's almost my lunchbreak, have it friends.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Okay, I'm worthless for #1 and #3.

Scenario #2, still haven't managed to see Thunderbolt Fantasy yet, so I'm going to require feats. Top two of the Gank Squad are here, I'm pretty okay with THEIR feats.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Okay, I'm worthless for #1 and #3.

Scenario #2, still haven't managed to see Thunderbolt Fantasy yet, so I'm going to require feats. Top two of the Gank Squad are here, I'm pretty okay with THEIR feats.
    You're putting me in the position of wanting to share feats but also not wanting to spoil plot points for Thunderbolt Fantasy haha. >_<

Okay, Shang and Lin, as with most people in Thunderbolt Fantasy, are effectively Wuxia characters. They have the usual combination of floaty jumps, enhanced speed and strength, chi tricks and prodigious swordskill between them as a baseline.

Within the setting, Shang is generally regarded as among the best martial artists alive. Lin generally opts to avoid combat, focusing on illusions and trickery first. Strictly speaking his actual combat capacity is a bit of a spoiler for the first season, but he is broadly equal to Shang (potentially even higher but they've never directly fought).

Shang is notable in his mastery of chi enhancement. He does stuff like "pick up a stick of the ground, infuse it with chi and wield it like a sword, punching through swords with it, cutting people into chunks etc." His exertions of his chi have felled trees, blasted reasonable sized craters in stoney ground and cut through rock pillars pretty easily when he's exerting himself.

Lin has got two major fights under his belt where he actually engages with combat properly. In most other combat scenarios he dodges, he throws illusions and barbed words.

At the climax of the first season he battles the big bad whose whole deal is "get magical sword, compliment my god tier demonic swordplay, take over the world," and Lin schools him quite easily, specifically to break his spirit rather than kill him. Of note is one moment where big bad hits Lin with a chi-empowered attack which he parries; the force of the hit blasts a 10 - 15 foot crater in the ground around them and Lin doesn't even break his monologue.

I'll see what clips I can dig up that aren't too spoiler to illustrate things haha.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 07-29-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Here's a pretty fun and largely plot neutral sequence of Shang taking out a bunch of mobs by himself. Good example of his skill, strength and chi channelling abilities.

So, what I have for Fingolfin and his barking-mad brother:

1. They're both kitted out in armor and weapons made in Valinor by some of the greatest Elvensmith's ever (in Fëanor's case, literally the greatest). Fingolfin's armor allowed him to survive having Morgoth shield-squoosh him several times. The armor and Fingolfin's natural toughness allowed him to withstand Morgoth stomping on his neck long enough to actually cripple Morgoth (more on that later), when the weight is being described as 'of a fallen mountain'. Probably some hyperbole there, but Morgoth was still *wiggles hand* pretty up there in power in Middle Earth, even at that time. Fëanor's armor and natural toughness allowed him to fight for a long, long time - alone - against a group of Balrogs surrounding him, WHILE in their fire, WHILE taking hits from them (they were surrounding him), while 'undismayed' (of course, part of that is him being loony). What eventually killed him - AFTER the fight was over - was a combination of the wounds and his own spirit basically burning its way out of his body.

2. Fingolfin's sword (Ringil) and prodigious strength allowed him to wound Morgoth - a god-being wearing his fully-encasing armor - seven times. Also, from a position of zero leverage (on his back, Morgoth stepping on his neck), Fingolfin managed quite well at chopping into Morgoth's armored foot hard enough to 'lame' Morgoth 'forevermore' (I mean, Morgoth was pretty lame to start with, this just made it official). Fëanor's unnamed sword would have at least been as good as Ringil (due to it being made by a superior smith - Fëanor himself), and served him well fighting against a bunch of Balrogs all at the same time. Basically, between the swords and their own strengths, they should be pretty up there for 'hacking through stuff' when in need.

3. Fingolfin has feats like leaping around like a sparrow to avoid Morgoth's attacks, which were blasting giant craters in the ground from which magma then oozed. This, while fully armored. Fëanor's physicality would have at least been in a similar bracket, what with Tolkien naming him the mightiest of the Noldor, him fighting against groups of Balrogs without instantly getting struck down, etc.

4. Skillwise, Fingolfin is basically considered the pinnacle of Noldorin warriors, and Fëanor can't really be much far behind him - 'mightiest of the Noldor', etc (taking into account his other abilities, like smith-work, creation of what people would consider magical stuff, etc).

5. Just as a side note regarding Fingolfin. In a fortress that's the size of three Mount Everests slapped together (Thangorodrim), there are front gates from whence have issued massive armies, groups of dragons, and the like - so they're huge - made of materials Morgoth himself set up to try to keep out things like 'Valar'. Just for a moment, let's try to picture how much larger and more durable these things are than normal castle gates.

Fingolfin, enraged, smites these gates with his hand to say 'knock knock Morgoth; I'm here for our unscheduled duel.' And waaaaaay down in the depths of Thangorodrim - because Morgoth is, at heart, a big coward - the Lord of Fetters, sitting on his throne, hears the booming of his own gates.

That's plenty strong.

But, given that we're dealing with chi-blasting Wuxia characters, of course, we might be into an area where the two Noldor are a tad over their heads. There could be a speed issue, or the like. I mean, if Fingolfin connects with a Gate-Booming, Morgoth-Crippling shot, that's nothing to laugh at, but he needs to HIT. And if these guys have crazy speed-feats - like, above CBPH at the least - then that's going to get tricky.

Then we're into 'Armor and toughness - can it hold out against the crazy damage potential of the Thunderbolt Fantasy characters long enough to get a hit in?'

Need more information. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Here's a pretty fun and largely plot neutral sequence of Shang taking out a bunch of mobs by himself. Good example of his skill, strength and chi channelling abilities.

Ooookay.

Having a much harder time calling this.

I think...maybe the Noldorin armor might be the key point for them, here, versus the ridiculous level of skill I'm seeing here (not saying the Noldor aren't skilled, just...some of that stuff was ridiculous, like the sword-sheathing at the end).
    Why are we here?

Ooookay.

Having a much harder time calling this.

I think...maybe the Noldorin armor might be the key point for them, here, versus the ridiculous level of skill I'm seeing here (not saying the Noldor aren't skilled, just...some of that stuff was ridiculous, like the sword-sheathing at the end).
    Based on what you've said, I think skill is the key factor here.

Lin and Shang are both very good defensively speaking.

In season 3 in the episode I just watched, there's a particularly amusing moment where the end-boss (an incredibly powerful wuxia monk fighter, albeit a little depowered since their last encounter) makes a spirited and fairly extended attempt to kill Lin and he just dodges everything with ease. They both also have feats of fighting effectively blind [there's a larger context but effectively blind] against master-level opponents.

If the Gank Squad boys can land a hit then I think that would be very bad for both Shang and Lin as neither have feats of eating hits on the level of the gate knocking described above but they are both extremely agile, highly strong defensively and will, given enough time, find weaknesses in their opponents armour I think. It's a real battle of attrition, dodge versus AC.

A Zest 4 KungFu Treachery Darth Drizzle's Avatar

Match 1 is a great fight.

The main Devil trio(Virgil, Dante, Nero) are pretty close to SJ Woo in terms of physical stats and the others have enough firepower and fighting ability to not be wrecked immediately.

Starting in the center he would send out scouts across the city at the start to get his surroundings in order. At which point they will spot the enemies and he would either send out a low level shadow tomt St their ability or see thatb they are all coming to him andn ust wait in the middle for them. He can't really sense power levels outside of Hunters in his Verse so I'm iffy on him being able to read the Demon crew so he most likely plays it safe and waits for them to get closer than send out a testing crew of Shadow soldiers to test them all out.

Once he notices that all but 3 can be dealt with by regular Shadows he prepares for Dante, Virgil, Nero by calling out his Orc army with the Mage leader and attacks them physically and with AOE magic spells to get more info on them. The trio would slice, Dodge, and blast their way through them in style but with some effort. As they get closer he then would send out his Kaiju sized Trolls(or whatever they were called) to test them more and they would take some effort to beat these between their high numbers and regeneration. They would probably want to end the fight quickly after noticing their regeneration and use their Devil Triggers to finish them off, and now SJ Woo has a grasp of what he is dealing with and gets ready for them.

When they get face to face he calls out his main party with Beeru, Igris, Kaisel, Tusk, Tank, Iron. Greed, and co who are all at Commander or General level which is nearly as strong as he is and the real battle ensues. While the Devil Crew in their Devil Trigger forms have good mobility and attack strength, the Shadow Crew has regeneration and AOEs going for them and the Battle would be devestating for the area around the town as it is quickly blown apart by the high intensity fighting and range of the battle. SJ Woo himself would use Kaisels flight ability to attack and move around between the 3 fighting areas(as I don't see the Devil Crew fighting together).

As Soon has taken on entire 90+ floor dungeons he has the stamina to fight a prolonged battle while normally the Devil Crew can if they are forced to stay in Devil Trigger form for too long it would wear them down faster so they would expend more energy to try and end the fight while Woo plays defense and attacks personally when he sees an opening created by a Shadow and attacks and retreats to safety with shadow movement to wear them down. After a long and destructive battle I see SJ Woo coming out the victor between his stanima, magic power, and his underused and undersold Game mechanic cheats he can bust out and change the fight completely at random.
    And with that the rest of the Domino's will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Drizzle View Post
    Match 1 is a great fight.
    Thank you, it's a fun one indeed!

When they get face to face he calls out his main party with Beeru, Igris, Kaisel, Tusk, Tank, Iron. Greed, and co who are all at Commander or General level which is nearly as strong as he is and the real battle ensues.
    I'd quibble with this point a little.

As the recent chapters against the other monarchs have shown, Jin-woo's main shadow servants are pretty significantly below him. Beru is the closest and he still was mostly useless in the recent battle. Additionally, with the group of his party, the difference between Beru and Igris and everyone else is also pretty steep. I would advise caution about ascribing them all similar capacities.

Like Beru would be a reasonably significant fight for a Devil Hunter but like... Tusk wouldn't.

While the Devil Crew in their Devil Trigger forms have good mobility and attack strength, the Shadow Crew has regeneration and AOEs going for them and the Battle would be devestating for the area around the town as it is quickly blown apart by the high intensity fighting and range of the battle. SJ Woo himself would use Kaisels flight ability to attack and move around between the 3 fighting areas(as I don't see the Devil Crew fighting together).

As Soon has taken on entire 90+ floor dungeons he has the stamina to fight a prolonged battle while normally the Devil Crew can if they are forced to stay in Devil Trigger form for too long it would wear them down faster so they would expend more energy to try and end the fight while Woo plays defense and attacks personally when he sees an opening created by a Shadow and attacks and retreats to safety with shadow movement to wear them down. After a long and destructive battle I see SJ Woo coming out the victor between his stanima, magic power, and his underused and undersold Game mechanic cheats he can bust out and change the fight completely at random.
    While Jin-woo can go for a long old time, he's not got infinite mana and regenerating his soldiers does cost mana to do that. Given how most of his mobs would just get mowed down, even by like Lady for example, he's going to be burning through mana awfully quickly, especially if his main force gets beaten. He actually has to be quite strategic in how he approaches them as a zerg rush approach would just cause him to torch a whole bunch of his resources early on.

Based on what you've said, I think skill is the key factor here.

Lin and Shang are both very good defensively speaking.

In season 3 in the episode I just watched, there's a particularly amusing moment where the end-boss (an incredibly powerful wuxia monk fighter, albeit a little depowered since their last encounter) makes a spirited and fairly extended attempt to kill Lin and he just dodges everything with ease. They both also have feats of fighting effectively blind [there's a larger context but effectively blind] against master-level opponents.

If the Gank Squad boys can land a hit then I think that would be very bad for both Shang and Lin as neither have feats of eating hits on the level of the gate knocking described above but they are both extremely agile, highly strong defensively and will, given enough time, find weaknesses in their opponents armour I think. It's a real battle of attrition, dodge versus AC.
    Skill definitely is a factor. And I'm not claiming that the Noldor bros are as skilled as these guys - 'all' we have for them is fighting in battle after battle, driving their enemies before them, and being basically the top-end Noldor of a race of immortal warrior-types.

...also Fingolfin dancing around in his armor, avoiding these big area blasts Morgoth is hammering around him.

Buuuut...from the sounds of it, the Thunderbolt dudes are a tad above this.

So we're kind of into 'greater skill versus durability', where one side needs to whittle down the other, while the whittled side needs to land a hit.

Hard one to call. O_o
    Why are we here?

Skill definitely is a factor. And I'm not claiming that the Noldor bros are as skilled as these guys - 'all' we have for them is fighting in battle after battle, driving their enemies before them, and being basically the top-end Noldor of a race of immortal warrior-types.

...also Fingolfin dancing around in his armor, avoiding these big area blasts Morgoth is hammering around him.

Buuuut...from the sounds of it, the Thunderbolt dudes are a tad above this.

So we're kind of into 'greater skill versus durability', where one side needs to whittle down the other, while the whittled side needs to land a hit.

Hard one to call. O_o
    I look forward to you watching the series in due time ^_^

A Zest 4 KungFu Treachery Darth Drizzle's Avatar

Thank you, it's a fun one indeed!

I'd quibble with this point a little.

As the recent chapters against the other monarchs have shown, Jin-woo's main shadow servants are pretty significantly below him. Beru is the closest and he still was mostly useless in the recent battle. Additionally, with the group of his party, the difference between Beru and Igris and everyone else is also pretty steep. I would advise caution about ascribing them all similar capacities.

Like Beru would be a reasonably significant fight for a Devil Hunter but like... Tusk wouldn't.

While Jin-woo can go for a long old time, he's not got infinite mana and regenerating his soldiers does cost mana to do that. Given how most of his mobs would just get mowed down, even by like Lady for example, he's going to be burning through mana awfully quickly, especially if his main force gets beaten. He actually has to be quite strategic in how he approaches them as a zerg rush approach would just cause him to torch a whole bunch of his resources early on.
    The ones below him like the High Orks and Tusk were sent out as the first wave here as they are underneath him significantly but can gauge enemy strength quite well, and as noted they get beat fairly easily and not force the Devil Crew to bust out anything other than their starting weapons. But that gives SJ Woo a baseline to go off of and they wouldn't cost Woo any real cost to Mana a she doesn't need to regenerate them as they are a test. Then the Giants would make them show more strength and force Woo to realize only thing strongest soldiers could help him. Remember just calling them out isn't that draining, it's the constant regeneration that does, so if doesn't do that he saves Mana.

The Soldiers were recently trapped by a Monarch level power but it ends with most of the named Soldiers (Igris. Greed, Beeru, Iron) starting to break out showing that they are getting stronger and are already higher than most summons. Also their power levels of General and Commander put them above the others and generally says that they are all near each other in terms of power(Commander is above General power wise but anything General and above is a threat here considering numbers).

I'm not saying he does what he did against Thomas and the Monarchs and just call out everything and bum rush rush the opponent, here he sends out a scouting party first, then a testing party(High Orcs), then a actual force to gauge strength (Giants, Tank), then when the real fight starts he calls out his main crew and since he didn't bother with regeneration besides maybe the Giants to push the Devil's a little he wouldn't be at a loss of Mana to start the main fight.
    And with that the rest of the Domino's will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.