Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Late in the series characters that actually worked

There are many examples of a tv series adding new characters in later seasons in an attempt to spark excitement or ratings. This experiment usually fails (Cousin Oliver comes to mind).

But are there examples of this actually working? Maybe it didn't raise ratings but the new character worked very well.

BJ, Col. Potter, and later on, Winchester for MASH from season 4 onward.

Toph for Avatar the Last Airbender.

Vegeta and, while only in 2 arcs, Future Trunks for DBZ/DB Super.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    BJ, Col. Potter, and later on, Winchester for MASH from season 4 onward.

Toph for Avatar the Last Airbender.

Vegeta and, while only in 2 arcs, Future Trunks for DBZ/DB Super.
    M*A*S*H also came first to my mind, until I recalled that the replacements came pretty early in the series.

Mighty Member

Dobby- Peep Show
    The new cast in Twin Peaks season 3
    I'll add a plus to Vegeta and Toph too.

Frank in It's always sunny. The show feels complete with him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    M*A*S*H also came first to my mind, until I recalled that the replacements came pretty early in the series.
    Season 4 for Potter and BJ, season 6, if I remember right, for Winchester (over halfway through the series then).

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Mac on Agents of SHIELD.
    Lorne on Angel.
    Woody on Cheers.
    Trubel on Grimm.
    Cara on Legend of the Seeker.
    Chekhov on Star Trek.
    Seven of Nine on Star Trek: Voyager

Rudy Wade from Misfits.
    Hal Yorke from Being Human UK.
    Castiel from Supernatural
    Vincent Griffith from the Originals
    Robbie Reyes- Agents of Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Season 4 for Potter and BJ, season 6, if I remember right, for Winchester (over halfway through the series then).
    This is correct. They did a season with Potter Bj and Burns. Then Burns went nuts and Potter got Winchester as a replacement.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Agree with other users that a lot of the MASH characters introduced later in the show's run were some of the best (Col. Potter being my favorite).

Also liked Ezri Dax in the last season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; she made as decent an impression as a last season character could, it really explored the multiple lives angle of the Trill, and I did personally relate to her soul-searching at the time.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Agree with other users that a lot of the MASH characters introduced later in the show's run were some of the best (Col. Potter being my favorite).

Also liked Ezri Dax in the last season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; she made as decent an impression as a last season character could, it really explored the multiple lives angle of the Trill, and I did personally relate to her soul-searching at the time.
    to be honest I like Ezri better then the first one. Dont know how to spell her name and damn it I am not going to google! She had a lot going for her and had some good story lines. I enjoyed her story with her family. I also enjoyed the episode she has to counsel Garak O enjoyed her in the books also.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Grays Anatomy has done a great job of continually bringing in new talent and having them work. Maybe it's a medical drama thing because thinking about it ER was the same way

Married With Children-Jefferson Darcy
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Married With Children-Jefferson Darcy
    That is a good one. His friendship with Al and the **** the two of them got into was so much better then Steve.

This is a hot take but I liked him better then Seven

Extraordinary Member

Cindy Walton on The Waltons.

By season 7, John Boy had left for New York, Grandpa Zeb had died, Grandma Esther was off and on dealing with a stroke, and Olivia was only showing up for half a season.

One night, middle child Ben shows up with a pretty young bride. The show was bad about introducing new characters you thought would stick around only to never see them again.

But Cindy fit right in with the family and stayed for the rest of the series (and several reunion movies). Actress Leslie Winston was not only beautiful, but she quickly surpassed the Walton children in her acting ability.

Cindy and Ben moved into the renovated shed next to the house, had children, and stayed happily together.

Liam Kincaid, Earth: Final Conflict

Mileage varies depending on who you ask, but, I liked the show better when he was added as the new protagonist at the start of season 2.

Also: Beastmaster. Dartanus was added in the third and final season, played by the original Beastmaster, Marc Singer. I guess it was to make it more in line with the original movie, but IMO it worked. He was basically Dar's mentor and guide.