Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Default Bermuda: Ongoing discussion from IDW

This new book from IDW written by John Layman and Nick Bradshaw came out last week. The summary write up is as follows from IDW.

There’s a region in the Atlantic Ocean where planes disappear, ships are lost, and traveling souls go missing… never to be heard from again. And there’s an island within this place, mysterious and uncharted, untouched by time and civilization, where all who are lost end up—human or other! Bermuda lives here. She’s 16, scrappy, and living on this insane and wondrous jungle island—fighting at every turn to survive—is the only life she has ever known. She can handle the dinosaurs, the pirates, the crazed soldiers, dark magicians, and strange monsters. But the weird new kid who washes ashore just may be the biggest challenge Bermuda has ever faced—as he drags her along on a perilous rescue mission she wants no part of… and he’s likely to be the death of both of them!
    Bermuda01_CoverA.jpg

I find the story to instantly feel like it is instantly borrowing, heavily, from Turok or his derivative at Valiant, Savage. I'm going to read the first arc and see where it may deviate or lay hints as to where it might go to separate itself from Turok/Savage.
    The art is amazing. The story moved along at a solid pace and felt very straightforward...which means surely there is a nugget in there I missed they intend to mine later.

Anyone else read Bermuda?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Here is a link to the CBR article that appeared today if anyone is interested.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

It looks interesting, but like a lot of series I am not familiar with enough to preorder, I rarely see them on the shelves of my lcs, so I usually wait until an issue or collection shows up on Hoopla to check it out and then buy the trade to add to my library if I like it. I hadn't been aware of this one, but I ill keep an eye out to see if IDW adds the first trade to Hoopla when its released.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Finally got my copy! Going to read it this week- hoping hoping hoping!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fun read, good art. Really liked the bonus of all the covers in the back.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

While there isn't a lot of depth here, there's a LOT of flash and fun, a fast run through and a set up for the series to follow. Glad I got the first issue, and glad to be getting the next. The link provided above, by Capt. Craig, is a good summery and intro to this intro issue.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet