Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I need more than an OMD resolution... by the end of this run, I need Peter to score a decisive win over Harry. The Kindred thing has gone on too long, time for some payback.
    I go back to the title of the final Spencer issue: “What Price victory?” That means something pyrrhic to me. It could be Peter being beaten physically and ( or) mentally that he can no longer continue as Spider-Man ( Which is why Ben has to pinch hit for Peter). It could be Aunt May dying? Or done other negative outcome along with some kind of ending for Kindred. I really do not understand why Spencer enjoys Peter losing so much? Is it his personal opinion? Is it what Marvel wants? Is it what he thinks the fans want? I would love to hear him explain what his reasoning is?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Hmm, considering Doctor Strange is now gambling with Mephisto for Spider-Man's soul and part of Kindred's plan now seems to be taking on Mephisto and taking over hell for himself . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Amazing Member

I thought most people believed one of the main reasons Spider-Man comics succeeded in the first place was that most of Peter's victories are pyrrhic ones, that he loses a lot and that despiste the outcome, he ends up getting back (some times it takes him longer than others), starting from his very first story. It's not that he cannot be a badass or enjoy some well deserved clean victories, but to be honest, I find this whole criticism a bit baffling. The most interesting Spider-Man was never pure scapism or pure male fantasy projection, I believe. And he's definitely not a sports team.
    Last edited by Shunt; 08-05-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I thought most people believed one of the main reasons Spider-Man comics succeeded in the first place was that most of Peter's victories are pyrrhic ones, that he loses a lot and that despiste the outcome, he ends up getting back (some times it takes him longer than others), starting from his very first story. It's not that he cannot be a badass or enjoy some well deserved clean victories, but to be honest, I find this whole criticism a bit baffling. The most interesting Spider-Man was never pure scapism or pure male fantasy projection, I believe. And he's definitely not a sports team.
    That's understandable. As much of a detour as Beyond is going to be, I am (somewhat) optimistic that it'll end with Peter getting back up and into the webs once again. That said, I think a lot of people here aren't coming from a place of pure escapism or power fantasy projection, but instead recognizing that Marvel has somewhat undervalued and underplayed the man in the Spider-Man in more recent years.

I thought it was entertaining. Love the Syndicate and the Superior Foes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's understandable. As much of a detour as Beyond is going to be, I am (somewhat) optimistic that it'll end with Peter getting back up and into the webs once again. That said, I think a lot of people here aren't coming from a place of pure escapism or power fantasy projection, but instead recognizing that Marvel has somewhat undervalued and underplayed the man in the Spider-Man in more recent years.
    You are exactly right. Peter has been constantly disrespected over the years. Comedy relief on the Avengers, “Charlie Brown” under Slott and of course “Pathetic Parker” and “ Damsel In Distress” under Spencer. Where is the Peter Parker who beat Juggernaut and Firelord? Where is the Peter who is one of the smartest people in the Marvel Universe? I have not seen that Peter in a long time. I understand Peter loses quite a bit ( that was established in Amazing Fantasy 15), but frankly the amount of losing ( and how it is done) is far too much. By the way the sports analogy is accurate. I do not expect the Yankees to win 162 games and sweep the playoffs and World Series, that is impossible. At the same time, I do not expect them to lose 162 games either. There needs to be a better balance in the comic.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 08-05-2021 at 05:25 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, considering Doctor Strange is now gambling with Mephisto for Spider-Man's soul and part of Kindred's plan now seems to be taking on Mephisto and taking over hell for himself . . .
    If that's Kindreds goal, he's in for a rude awakening. Mephisto will have some plan likely to deal with the upsurper. I could see whatever happens with Doctor Stranges 'gamble' not only to end OMD, but something that traps Kindred back in Hell via Mephisto machinations.

If that's Kindreds goal, he's in for a rude awakening. Mephisto will have some plan likely to deal with the upsurper. I could see whatever happens with Doctor Stranges 'gamble' not only to end OMD, but something that traps Kindred back in Hell via Mephisto machinations.
    That would be something to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    he a shounen character in his fights crap is this why i like his comeback victories
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Kindred's motives are getting convoluted.
    - I'm gonna kill Spider-Man!
    - Actually no, here - come back to life!
    - I'm gonna kill MJ to teach You a lesson!
    - Actually no, Mysterio bring me MJ, she's safe with me.
    - Ya know Peter, dying is easy, I could easily kill you, but you see there's that Sinister Battle Royale going on, so I need You to get stabbed, ok?
    - and now, you battle for one of you to become my right hand!

I mean... What's the point of all of this? Is Peter's soul so powerful, one can beat the crap out of Mephisto with it?

Or is Harry just being Harry?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    - Ya know Peter, dying is easy, I could easily kill you, but you see there's that Sinister Battle Royale going on, so I need You to get stabbed, ok?

I mean... What's the point of all of this? Is Peter's soul so powerful, one can beat the crap out of Mephisto with it?

I suppose there must be done something unexpected, shocking, physically or mentally destructive to Spider-Man to make him remember OMD. I think Kindred is trying to find some kind of "loophole" to break this magical curse of memory loss. Therefore his plans are changing and are constantly updated

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post

He wants to punish him for his Sins.Specifically OMD but he can't do that if he doesn't remember it.I feel there is something with how much he can break him that correlates with him remembering OMD.Maybe he doesn't know how exactly and is just gonna try everything.

I know it won't happen but I hope all the 3 groups attacking him die.Kindred's threat was badass af, he tells them they will die and doing the job only secures them their afterlife.I hope it comes true.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    He wants to punish him for his Sins.Specifically OMD but he can't do that if he doesn't remember it.I feel there is something with how much he can break him that correlates with him remembering OMD.Maybe he doesn't know how exactly and is just gonna try everything.

I know it won't happen but I hope all the 3 groups attacking him die.Kindred's threat was badass af, he tells them they will die and doing the job only secures them their afterlife.I hope it comes true.
    Why is Kindred doing this? Unless Kindred is being used as a Cautionary Tale by Spencer to get rid of OMD, you have to look at how jealous Harry is of Peter as his primary motivation. Think about it. Harry proposed to MJ and she turned him down flat, and Peter married her. Norman wanted Peter to be his successor. Why? Because he knows that unlike Peter, Harry does not have what it takes. He also knows Peter although growing up with no parents had Aunt May and Uncle Ben who are better parents then Norman could ever hope to be. Peter also did not do stupid stuff like drugs which Harry did. Basically Harry is a weak and pathetic person, and deep down he knows it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Why is Kindred doing this? Unless Kindred is being used as a Cautionary Tale by Spencer to get rid of OMD, you have to look at how jealous Harry is of Peter as his primary motivation. Think about it. Harry proposed to MJ and she turned him down flat, and Peter married her. Norman wanted Peter to be his successor. Why? Because he knows that unlike Peter, Harry does not have what it takes. He also knows Peter although growing up with no parents had Aunt May and Uncle Ben who are better parents then Norman could ever hope to be. Peter also did not do stupid stuff like drugs which Harry did. Basically Harry is a weak and pathetic person, and deep down he knows it.
    ps. I could see Harry saying to MJ You would not be having all these problems if you would have married me. And MJ saying I did not marry you because you were a loser then and you are still a loser.

Threatening a bunch of supervillains like that might not have been a great idea. I expect this to play a role in Kindred's eventual defeat.