Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default The Boys TV series on DVD

Hi folks I'm wondering since there Two Seasons of The Boys TV series in the can so to speak, is ever coming to DVD?.

Why is Amazon Prime TV not releasing this series on DVD?.

LW

While this would just be "I'm Guessing..."?

I get the feeling for that they believe there won't be enough of a market until they can try to sell the entire series once they have wrapped things up.

Maybe not even then.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While this would just be "I'm Guessing..."?

I get the feeling for that they believe there won't be enough of a market until they can try to sell the entire series once they have wrapped things up.

Maybe not even then.

Yeah, there's not much of a market for DVDs/blurays due to the popularity of streaming. It's kind of a crapshoot as to whether TV shows will be released on home media or not. I was surprised HBO never released Euphoria as a blu-ray set, the first season seemed pretty popular.

As for The Boys, I'm pretty sure I've seen blu-ray sets for other countries (May not play on US blu-ray players), but they could be bootlegs for all I know.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

We've probably just about seen the end of physical media releases for shows released originally on streaming. The companies want you to subscribe and pay them every month rather than buy a DVD and pay them once. They can also control the content, going back in and censoring it each time something comes to be seen as "problematic" for whatever reason.

A new tactic seems to be releasing the first season, or the first couple of seasons on physical media as "outreach" to non-subscribers, who will then have to subscribe if they want to see the rest of it. Only the first 3 seasons of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power have been released, for example, and I've seen no indication that the final two seasons are going to be released. The Boys might be the same deal.

Yes, this is a boon for the bootleg industry, but the corporations apparently think it's worth it.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

They want you to sign up for Prime so you can watch it

Spectacular Member

But some of us can't afford streaming TV services but the other series which is completed Man in High Castle has yet to come to DVD as a Boxed Set, I've got the complete comic series including minis.

I still hope that one dya it will come to DVD if it's still around,

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    But some of us can't afford streaming TV services but the other series which is completed Man in High Castle has yet to come to DVD as a Boxed Set, I've got the complete comic series including minis.

I still hope that one dya it will come to DVD if it's still around,

LW

Each blu-ray season set is the same price as 2-3 months of a streaming service.

Reality is, if the companies thought they'd make a lot of revenue releasing these shows on home media, they would. They don't see it as cost-effective against possible streaming subscriptions, so we get random possibilities of home media release. I remember Netflix releasing blu-ray sets of seasons 1 & 2 for Stranger Things, but never bothered doing such with season 3. They might be waiting to release it shortly before season 4 airs, to help build hype, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-30-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Each blu-ray season set is the same price as 2-3 months of a streaming service.

Reality is, if the companies thought they'd make a lot of revenue releasing these shows on home media, they would. They don't see it as cost-effective against possible streaming subscriptions, so we get random possibilities of home medial release. I remember Netflix releasing blu-ray sets of seasons 1 & 2 for Stranger Things, but never bothered doing such with season 3. They might be waiting to release it shortly before season 4 airs, to help build hype, but I doubt it.
    That's about how I tend to see it.

While I sort of feel for folks whom streaming is not really a realistic option, I just don't see Amazon dropping any coin on what most likely would not eve amount to a "Break Even..." proposition.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I've seen what I believe is season 1 on Amazon. Probably a UK region disc. Boy, do I love that homelander performance.
    Sadly I was only able to buy daredevil season 1 and 2 and didn't care to add extras. Danggitt

There is a trend of less and less TV shows being released on DVD/ Blu-Ray, unfortunately. I don't think that will change. I used to collect DVDs/ Blu-Ray (I have over 2000 movies and boxsets) and I've basically given up, I just subscribe to the main streaming services now.
    Last edited by hyped78; 09-30-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I've seen what I believe is season 1 on Amazon. Probably a UK region disc. Boy, do I love that homelander performance.
    Sadly I was only able to buy daredevil season 1 and 2 and didn't care to add extras. Danggitt
    I can't see any on Amazon UK - unless it was a bootleg copy that got taken down

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I can't see any on Amazon UK - unless it was a bootleg copy that got taken down
    Huh... just yesterday there was a region-free Boys season 1 DVD on Amazon. It's gone now. So I guess you must be right.

Spectacular Member

Well someone had stated that this might be an start of era were TV series and Movie will no longer be released on DVD or Blue-Ray, but as stated before I can't afford streaming TV services.

LW

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Well someone had stated that this might be an start of era were TV series and Movie will no longer be released on DVD or Blue-Ray, but as stated before I can't afford streaming TV services.

LW

Why can't you afford them? Is it not being able to afford home internet and you don't want to watch this stuff on your phone? (Which is understandable, I prefer a big screen. Watching on my phone's a last resort).

You can easily pay $10-$15 for Prime for one month, watch both seasons of The Boys (Which would've cost you $30-$60 in total as home media season sets), then cancel before your first month is done. Do the same thing for HBO Max, Disney+, etc......Wash, rinse, repeat. They don't force annual subscriptions on you, just take turns with each service as new series come up.

Spectacular Member

Well how much does cost normally these streaming TV stations cost?, internet is very costly were I am there isn't affordable versions out were I am.

LW