Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I will say this she is taking a huge gamble with her career here. Cause if she loses this its not going to look good regarding future work. ( If she cares). So if she wants to be a martyr for 30 million then thats up to her.
    ...wouldn't that lend credence to the idea that she's in the right rather than point one to think she has no case?

BANNED

I will say this she is taking a huge gamble with her career here. Cause if she loses this its not going to look good regarding future work. ( If she cares). So if she wants to be a martyr for 30 million then thats up to her.
    Disney must be really got under her skin for her to file this suit.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    ...or they're in the wrong?

Astonishing Member

No doubt. I mean I guess I can admire this but I can't admire this right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...wouldn't that lend credence to the idea that she's in the right rather than point one to think she has no case?
    No, not at all. Wait to hear the other side.

BANNED

And Disney will or they will not. But again, for the 19th time my point was never she didn't have a case. I honestly don't know. And I think its presumptuous to assume she does. My point was a contract dispute like this in this environment where a big star worth millions is arguing over a salary dispute in public with a huge corporation worth billions does no one any good at this time. People taking the word of Scarjos lawyers that Disney did not negotiate in good faith considering the circumstances are taking the side of a movie star whom they don't know anything about and her lawyers who are looking for a pay day as well.
    And I will ask again, why does the size of bank accounts matter when it comes to fairness? Justice always does good for society.

BANNED

...or they're in the wrong?
    I think both sides feel they’re right, it’s all about the interpretation of the contract.

No, not at all. Wait to hear the other side.
    That point of view makes little sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    And I will ask again, why does the size of bank accounts matter when it comes to fairness? Justice always does good for society.

Because it steroytypes what people already feel is an elitist industry into elites arguing over 30 million during a pandemic where tens of thousands of people worldwide are dying everyday. No one is saying that she doesnt have a case. And why is it Justice? Because she filed a lawsuit? You presume its a valid one. I don't know why. I had a lawsuit filed against me and she lost. It wasn't valid. Many presumed it was. To bad for them.

BANNED

That point of view makes little sense.
    How so? explain?

Extraordinary Member

I’d argue another aspect of this is that it’s not like Disney’s bank account is some small thing here either; Johansson may be an “elite” actress, but the CEOs, Producers, and primary stockholders are “elite” as well.

And as Johansson’s case is effectively going to be setting precedent for the non-elite workers, this is a bit like when people get upset at the handful of super-successful football players are at the forefront of fighting for *all* the football players.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Because it steroytypes what people already feel is an elitist industry into elites arguing over 30 million during a pandemic where tens of thousands of people worldwide are dying everyday. No one is saying that she doesnt have a case. And why is it Justice? Because she filed a lawsuit? You presume its a valid one. I don't know why. I had a lawsuit filed against me and she lost. It wasn't valid. Many presumed it was. To bad for them.
    It's justice no matter who wins. That's how justice usually (not always) works.

But let's suppose a hypothetical. Suppose Disney is found to have acted illegally in some fashion.

I will have considerably less than 1% when i die of what ScarJo will make from this one movie. Again, assuming Disney is found to have acted improperly and ScarJo wins, it assists in establishing legal precedent. That means that if my company behaves in a similar way, they can be held liable under that precedent. I don't have the money to file a suit to establish precedent, but ScarJo does. And I can benefit from the precedent her suit establishes because it won't cost me nearly as much to prove that the same violation of my contract.

Or let's suppose Disney wins, that means I save even more money, because I can be advised that courts have already found a case like mine is without merit and I won't bother,

We all win with this sort of clarifying lawsuit,

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’d argue another aspect of this is that it’s not like Disney’s bank account is some small thing here either; Johansson may be an “elite” actress, but the CEOs, Producers, and primary stockholders are “elite” as well.

And as Johansson’s case is effectively going to be setting precedent for the non-elite workers, this is a bit like when people get upset at the handful of super-successful football players are at the forefront of fighting for *all* the football players.

The presumption is she is a precedent setter on a valid case. That story still needs to be told. Lots of people have filed contract disputes and lost.

Astonishing Member

It's justice no matter who wins. That's how justice usually (not always) works.

But let's suppose a hypothetical. Suppose Disney is found to have acted illegally in some fashion.

I will have considerably less than 1% when i die of what ScarJo will make from this one movie. Again, assuming Disney is found to have acted improperly and ScarJo wins, it assists in establishing legal precedent. That means that if my company behaves in a similar way, they can be held liable under that precedent. I don't have the money to file a suit to establish precedent, but ScarJo does. And I can benefit from the precedent her suit establishes because it won't cost me nearly as much to prove that the same violation of my contract.

Or let's suppose Disney wins, that means I save even more money, because I can be advised that courts have already found a case like mine is without merit and I won't bother,

We all win with this sort of clarifying lawsuit,

All of this could be true. For me this is neither the time or place for these people to be doing this but we have gone around and around on this. Its a black mark on an industry that doesnt need any right now. Its her choice to go down this road at this time. If you think she is doing this for the welfare of everyone well, ok. There are other actresses in the sea. Filing a lawsuit doesn't make her anything special or right. Sometimes lawyers give bad advice.

BANNED

All of this could be true. For me this is neither the time or place for these people to be doing this but we have gone around and around on this. Its a black mark on an industry that doesnt need any right now. Its her choice to go down this road at this time. If you think she is doing this for the welfare of everyone well, ok. There are other actresses in the sea. Filing a lawsuit doesn't make her anything special or right. Sometimes lawyers give bad advice.
    I think she's doing this for her and no one else. I also think society in general benefits no matter how it turns out. Certainly more than if this wasn't happening at all.

I also think Peter Jackson should have sued over LotR residuals no matter who won
    Last edited by green_garnish; 08-01-2021 at 01:52 PM.