Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I will say this she is taking a huge gamble with her career here. Cause if she loses this its not going to look good regarding future work. ( If she cares). So if she wants to be a martyr for 30 million then thats up to her.
    She won't have any trouble to find work regardless how this turns out. She has her own production company and there are other distributors than Disney.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I think she's doing this for her and no one else. I also think society in general benefits no matter how it turns out. Certainly more than if this wasn't happening at all.

I also think Peter Jackson should have sued over LotR residuals no matter who won

Sorry I am not in the league that all lawsuits are good for society as a whole. Trump filed 70 of them to overturn the elections and all it did was help cause an insurrection. But heck a large part of the country thought those were all great. The only precedent that set was that you can file useless lawsuits and inspire civil insurrection.

BANNED

Sorry I am not in the league that all lawsuits are good for society as a whole. Trump filed 70 of them to overturn the elections and all it did was help cause an insurrection. But heck a large part of the country thought those were all great. The only precedent that set was that you can file useless lawsuits and inspire civil insurrection.
    I agree with everything in this post, but I don't think ScarJo's suit is in the same frivolous category,

Astonishing Member

And this wasn't the time or place for it. There is a huge pandemic happening. Companies are trying to adjust how they are dealing with this and with their employees. If Disney is wrong then they are wrong. People seem more concerned about Scarjo than they do meat packing workers. She has a net worth of 165 million dollars. She makes more in a day than most people make all year. She got paid 20 million for this movie ( at least). She also tied her money to the box office. That was her choice. Because she wanted more money and gambled.
    I do believe Disney went back on their deal and Scarjo got ripped off. But I'm very concerned about everyone struggling financially in this pandemic. I'm not worried about her at all to be honest and it's quite telling how some people seem concerned multimillionaires are ripped off than the average middle class worker. Lots of people involved in the movie industry got hit hard and won't be able to bounce back.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You're conflating issues again.
    This has nothing to do about consumer choices, but contract obligations.

If Disney had felt that it was better to release both theatrically and day and date the correct way to do that would have been to go to the table and make a settlement before hand with those contractually involved...but because they did not they are being sued.
    This. Pretty much sums it up.

Contracts are contracts. Lawyers go over them with a fine tooth comb and each party agrees to them (after their representatives thrash out the details before they are drawn up). You sign those, you are obligated to abide by them. If you don't, you invite litigation.

Personally, I can see both sides of this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I do believe Disney went back on their deal and Scarjo got ripped off. But I'm very concerned about everyone struggling financially in this pandemic. I'm not worried about her at all to be honest and it's quite telling how some people seem concerned multimillionaires are ripped off than the average middle class worker. Lots of people involved in the movie industry got hit hard and won't be able to bounce back.

Yup. Heck there are Disney workers making 15 or 20 dollars and hour being laid off, coming back to work being laid off again. Wearing masks, not wearing masks, trying to feed their families. That was my whole point. This wasn't the time or place to be suing for 30 million when you just made 20 million( at least). And lawyers filing these lawsuits acting like their client is so aggrieved and put upon. I can't relate. I mean ScarJo has a clause in her contract to make god knows how much. Most of the people who worked on the movie got paid by the hour they didn't have clauses in their contract tied to the movie. Or maybe they did. That would be interesting but I doubt it because then you would have a class action lawsuit.

Astonishing Member

The difference is Trump filed lawsuits that had no merit and served no purpose but to shift attention from the election to himself and sow seeds of doubt in the Democratic process (which is why most were tossed out).

ScarJo, on the other hand, has valid cause to file one if she feels Disney did not fulfill the terms of the contract they both signed. Disney has to prove that they did. She has to prove they didn't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    This. Pretty much sums it up.

Contracts are contracts. Lawyers go over them with a fine tooth comb and each party agrees to them (after their representatives thrash out the details before they are drawn up). You sign those, you are obligated to abide by them. If you don't, you invite litigation.

Personally, I can see both sides of this.

Yup contracts are contracts. And again just cause someone files a contract dispute doesnt make them right. I was a cop. Our union filed some suits and won, and we filed some suits and lost. And ya know we always thought we were right. The courts decided otherwise however.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think she's doing this for her and no one else. I also think society in general benefits no matter how it turns out. Certainly more than if this wasn't happening at all.

I also think Peter Jackson should have sued over LotR residuals no matter who won
    Didn't Jackson win? Or least get a settlement from New Line/WB? It's been a while so I could be wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The difference is Trump filed lawsuits that had no merit and served no purpose but to shift attention from the election to himself and sow seeds of doubt in the Democratic process (which is why most were tossed out).

ScarJo, on the other hand, has valid cause to file one if she feels Disney did not fulfill the terms of the contract they both signed. Disney has to prove that they did. She has to prove they didn't.

Oh I know there was a difference. That was just a reply about how all lawsuits have some purpose or are about justice. Trumps ( and others) were about intimidation and attempt to bully the system. And many people in different areas do the same thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Didn't Jackson win? Or least get a settlement from New Line/WB? It's been a while so I could be wrong.
    For the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter who won. It matters that the dispute was made within the legal system and was resolved within that system, which everyone has the right to do. I have little patience for the point of view that rich people should just roll over to richer corporations because pandemic.

BANNED

Oh I know there was a difference. That was just a reply about how all lawsuits have some purpose or are about justice.
    What post was that? I missed it in all the back and forth

For the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter who won. It matters that the dispute was made within the legal system and was resolved within that system, which everyone has the right to do. I have little patience for the point of view that rich people should just roll over to richer corporations because pandemic.
    Ah, I get where you're coming from now and I definitely agree.

Astonishing Member

What post was that? I missed it in all the back and forth
    You stated its justice no matter who wins on a lawsuit. And then you said we all win when these lawsuits are rectified. No we don't. Maybe you meant this particular one as if the precedent applies to you. But I don't win anything if Disney wins this lawsuit. Or Scarjo. Its going to be justice for one or the other. People who file lawsuits can have good motives behind them or bad ones. This society is filled with people filing nonsense lawsuits who hurt society all the time. People getting bumped in cars, screaming they have broken backs. All types of personal lawsuits that cause stress to people for no reason other than they hate the person. You don't need probable cause to file a contract dispute. All you need is a lawyer who thinks he can get some money. My whole point of this is Scarjos lawyers decided to go ahead with this at this time. In a period where people are laid off, sick, with thousands in medical bills. Trying to survive. Family members dying. But she didn't get the movie released like she wanted to and she only got 20 million dollars that we know of. To me its like family members arguing with each other after the funeral of a loved one. Emotions are high. Both parties should have been smarter.

Studies show that "nonsense" lawsuits are almost entirely mythical...but hey don't let that stop you.