Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
So is the suit about Disney Plus' subscription or Premier Access?
Basically ScarJo has lodged a petition to sue Disney for not abiding by her contract and for loss of income that occurred from releasing Black Widow to both theatres and Disney+.

From what I have heard from entertainment reports on this, her contract had it that the film would be released to theatres exclusively. I think this is because she took a flat fee and a possible percentage of box office takings (Back end).

Now, while it did get a theatrical release, it was simultaneously released on Disney+. The latter of which hurt the theatrical run due to people choosing to watch it via streaming. Which Disney gets the money from lock/stock. So, she doesn't see any of that money because it technically isn't "theatrical"

But I see both sides. Disney can't sit on the film forever and some international markets are hampered by lockdowns due to COVID still (Australia is one such market). Plus most people are still cautious to go to cinemas (Even in America). But she had a contract.

I think this lawsuit will set a precedent if it goes to court (I doubt it. This is most likely a stunt to get Disney to settle out of court). Now every actor will sign a contract and will have to stipulate a cut of streaming profits if their film bypasses theatres exclusively and gets simultaneously release via streaming platforms.