Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    You keep acting like you know all the details of this contract. You don't. Taking sides on this is stupid. Let it play out in court.
    You are 100% correct. I have to admit I was stupid for taking sides without knowing the details of the contract. I’m now officially neutral with this case. I shouldn’t have taken sides, without knowing the details of the contract. Having said that, it still bothers me that she filed this lawsuit in a pandemic where others lost a lot more than she did. Even if she is legally right, it could have waited to a later date.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    You are 100% correct. I have to admit I was stupid for taking sides without knowing the details of the contract. I’m now officially neutral with this case. I shouldn’t have taken sides, without knowing the details of the contract. Having said that, it still bothers me that she filed this lawsuit in a pandemic where others lost a lot more than she did. Even if she is legally right, it could have waited to a later date.
    My issue the entire time was that the suit could be valid but this is not the time or place for this. Also people assuming just because someone files a lawsuit they have a case. Because they watch her on the tv. And they hate corporations.

BANNED

My issue the entire time was that the suit could be valid but this is not the time or place for this. Also people assuming just because someone files a lawsuit they have a case. Because they watch her on the tv. And they hate corporations.
    Seems like the time is when a contract is broken, or plausibly might have been broken. The place is in the courts. Are you asserting that contracts shouldn't be honored because COVID?

Also, filing suit against Disney is a pretty expensive option if you don't believe you have a case.

BANNED

After reading her filings, it seems to me that the biggest issue will be “wide theatrical release” and “exclusive theatrical release”.
    Her lawyers are saying they are the same thing. I always thought wide release means more than 2000 theaters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Seems like the time is when a contract is broken, or plausibly might have been broken. The place is in the courts. Are you asserting that contracts shouldn't be honored because COVID?

Also, filing suit against Disney is a pretty expensive option if you don't believe you have a case.

No I am not asserting any such thing. I am asserting that this could have waited. And this wasn't the time or place for it. There is a huge pandemic happening. Companies are trying to adjust how they are dealing with this and with their employees. If Disney is wrong then they are wrong. People seem more concerned about Scarjo than they do meat packing workers. She has a net worth of 165 million dollars. She makes more in a day than most people make all year. She got paid 20 million for this movie ( at least). She also tied her money to the box office. That was her choice. Because she wanted more money and gambled.

Astonishing Member

After reading her filings, it seems to me that the biggest issue will be “wide theatrical release” and “exclusive theatrical release”.
    Her lawyers are saying they are the same thing. I always thought wide release means more than 2000 theaters.

Right. But hey this couldn't have waited till next year. It had to be done three weeks into the release of a movie during a worldwide pandemic apparently.

Ultimate Member

Disney did what was best for their business (and consumers) because of the pandemic but in the process cut-out ScarJo without any prior discussion and/or contract renegotiation. Considering she was supposed to receive a percentage of the movie's gross, Disney should have renegotiated compensation before the movie's release.

WB were in a similar situation with WW84 but worked out something before the movie was released to streaming and cinemas at the same time. Disney should have done something similar with ScarJo to avoid all this.

BANNED

No I am not asserting any such thing. I am asserting that this could have waited. And this wasn't the time or place for it. There is a huge pandemic happening. Companies are trying to adjust how they are dealing with this and with their employees. If Disney is wrong then they are wrong. People seem more concerned about Scarjo than they do meat packing workers. She has a net worth of 165 million dollars. She makes more in a day than most people make all year. She got paid 20 million for this movie ( at least). She also tied her money to the box office. That was her choice. Because she wanted more money and gambled.
    If you wait, you diminish your chances of winning, as the court will wonder why you didn't file action as soon as you felt something was wrong,

And seriously, where does this thing come from that we should take the grievances of millionaires less seriously than the grievances of meat packing workers?
    Last edited by green_garnish; 08-01-2021 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

I think Disney is between a rock and a hard place. They had to go to D+ because people are still uncomfortable going to theaters, by doing this they may have screwed people with backend deals. The problem now if they renegotiate with ScarJo, they would have to renegotiate with everyone who has a backend deal.

Astonishing Member

I think Disney is between a rock and a hard place. They had to go to D+ because people are still uncomfortable going to theaters, by doing this they may have screwed people with backend deals. The problem now if they renegotiate with ScarJo, they would have to renegotiate with everyone who has a backend deal.

I wonder how many people have backend deals. Personally I would be getting my money up front. But thats just me. I know that is 20/20 hindsight but nothing is set in stone in life and no one knows what is around the corner.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    If you wait, you diminish your chances of winning, as the court will wonder why you didn't file action as soon as you felt something was wrong,

And seriously, where does this thing come from that we should take the grievances of millionaires less seriously than the grievances of meat packing workers?

Well I don't think you diminish your chance of winning. The facts are the facts whether its now or later. The court shouldn't take into account time in something like this. Even more so during a pandemic.

BANNED

Even if that was so, they should have spoken to Scar Jo first and told her of their plans and re-negotiated something. I think there was a major break down of communication here. I don't know if this is because the movie was 2 years delayed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Even if that was so, they should have spoken to Scar Jo first and told her of their plans and re-negotiated something. I think there was a major break down of communication here. I don't know if this is because the movie was 2 years delayed.
    We don’t know if they did speak to her or not. We only heard one side of the story.

BANNED

Well I don't think you diminish your chance of winning. The facts are the facts whether its now or later. The court shouldn't take into account time in something like this. Even more so during a pandemic.
    The fact is that it matters tremendously, despite what you think. If the court (or defense) can argue why you didn't think something was wrong two years ago, when the thing actually happened, then your case is dramatically weaker. It should be different, but that's why rape cases are so tough to prosecute years after they occurred, despite the victim's trauma at the time and being understandably unwilling to file charges at the time of the incident.

Astonishing Member

We don’t know if they did speak to her or not. We only heard one side of the story.

Correct. Its like listening to a republican congress person tell a totally different story on negotiations than a democratic one. People don't want emotions or PR to get into this. Ha. Thats exactly what is going on, with these press releases from both sides.