Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Did they? Thought there was still a lot of bad blood from that with Christopher Nolan and Denis Villeuneuve's crews.
    Why would Nolan be pissed at WB now? They gave him an exclusive theatrical release for Tenet. It's not WB's fault it did poorly at the box office because most theaters were still closed.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I agree, courts do consider industry standards. But what is industry standards? There have been many movies that were initially a theatrical release, but somehow became streaming or DVD release instead. The industry standards during a pandemic is a different standard than pre covid. The industry standards right now is theatrical release and/or streaming, so this industry standard is will not help her. There are countless theatrical movies that was signed pre-covid, but became same day or exclusively streaming, including Black Widow. If there wasn’t a pandemic and Disney did the same thing, I would definitely be on her side.
    Seems like the crux of the charges aren't that Disney altered the deal in and of itself, but that they failed to live up to the obligations they had when they made that decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Seems like the crux of the charges aren't that Disney altered the deal in and of itself, but that they failed to live up to the obligations they had when they made that decision.
    I think Disney will argue that they did lived up to their obligations because BW has a wide theatrical release, per contract. ScarJo is arguing that a wide theatrical release means exclusive theatrical release.
    She saying Disney was supposed to renegotiate if the release changes, per contract. Disney will argue there is no change and Disney Plus same day release is just an add on for fans that wasn’t going to the theaters anyway. Disney will say Disney Plus has nothing to do with the original contract, so there was no need to renegotiate with Johansson.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-30-2021 at 11:13 PM.

I think Disney will argue that they did lived up to their obligations because BW has a wide theatrical release, per contract. ScarJo is arguing that a wide theatrical release means exclusive theatrical release.
    She saying Disney was supposed to renegotiate if the release changes, per contract. Disney will argue there is no change and Disney Plus same day release is an add on for fans that wasn’t going to the theaters anyway and has nothing to do with the original contract, so there was no need to renegotiate with Johansson.
    That'll be up to the court to decide (assuming that neither party settles).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

She saying Disney was supposed to renegotiate if the release changes, per contract. Disney will argue there is no change and Disney Plus same day release is just an add on for fans that wasn’t going to the theaters anyway. Disney will say Disney Plus has nothing to do with the original contract, so there was no need to renegotiate with Johansson.
    You realize that if they just start pitching in "Add Ons..." to a contract that has already been signed...

- The "Add On..." represents a clear and obvious issue?

- Even if one was inclined to let an "Add On..." slide, it would mean that the other party(namely the lady suing...) would also get an "Add On..."?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That'll be up to the court to decide (assuming that neither party settles).
    I think they eventually settle, I’ll be surprised if it goes to court. But you never know with Disney.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea but you don't know that. This is covid. The movie hasn't even come out in China. You can't just say it could have earned close to a billion. There are place where theaters are barely open. Out poster from Australia has said that many times. I
    That is what her legal team has to prove. That the release strategy subsequently attributed to the films overall box office performance and that she is out of pocket. Saying they didn't abide by her contract is the gun and the lossed salary is the bullet.

Amazing Member

So Disney could have avoided this if they just renegotiated the contract? If this is on Chapek it makes him look a lot like Perlmutter. Too cheap and it costing the company in the end.
    Could this here be his "Pirates of the Carribbean"-moment?

Regarding Scarlett Johansson. I get even more respect for her than i had before.
    And regarding her working with Disney again It would depend on who she would work with and who is in charge after this and the other ones explode in Disneys CEOs face.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Why would Nolan be pissed at WB now? They gave him an exclusive theatrical release for Tenet. It's not WB's fault it did poorly at the box office because most theaters were still closed.
    Yes, Nolan's case is different. Also I think WB will make a dumb move to let him go. He has been one of their most consistent good performance directors both critically and financially.

Tenet was one of the first films back then that was still used to test the waters about if films should play in cinema. Tenet was a first high class colleterial damage that was all because of COVID, I would not say Black Widow really is since 2021 movies have started to make some big money again, compared to the summer of 2020 that was Tenet's window.

Was there even a vaccine when Tenet was released? NO. So yeah, the situation is not exactly the same, at least from a medical POV.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-31-2021 at 03:55 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I don’t think it was just for Tenet. I think it was more of solidarity thing when WB announced that all their upcoming movies were going to day and date streaming. He slammed WB for that decision.

I know that Netflix are now pursuing him aggressively but I’m not sure they’ll be able to get him considering just how much loyalty he had to theaters and that system.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkelzahn View Post
    So Disney could have avoided this if they just renegotiated the contract? If this is on Chapek it makes him look a lot like Perlmutter. Too cheap and it costing the company in the end.
    Could this here be his "Pirates of the Carribbean"-moment?

Regarding Scarlett Johansson. I get even more respect for her than i had before.
    And regarding her working with Disney again It would depend on who she would work with and who is in charge after this and the other ones explode in Disneys CEOs face.
    Exactly.

Disney should have simply renegotiated with ScarJo. This was going to be her last MCU, her swan song and she really didn’t deserve this.

Since Disney was so desperate to make their money back, they should have taken into account the people that actually made the movie too.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    You realize that if they just start pitching in "Add Ons..." to a contract that has already been signed...

- The "Add On..." represents a clear and obvious issue?

- Even if one was inclined to let an "Add On..." slide, it would mean that the other party(namely the lady suing...) would also get an "Add On..."?
    Exactly this.

If Disney mention any “add-ons” in court, then they’ve practically torpedoed their own case.

That means that all parties involved should benefit from said “add-ones” just like if it got a proper theatrical release.

Good old chapek never changes.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-31-2021 at 07:20 AM.

That's naive at best. If you seriously think that launching on à streaming service doesn't significantly alter the revenue from theatre release than your mad. At a cost of $30 to hire on Disney plus vs the cost of a family of 5 going to the cinema for $80 why wouldn't a family choose to save the $50. Added to which if the deal doesn't remunerate Johanson as well for streaming as I does for theatre its a massive case of lost income.

Personally I took my son, youngest daughter and 10 of my sons friends to the cinema to see it because that is how he wanted to celebrate his birthday. Had that not been the case I certainly would have played the $30 on Disney Plus on our projector instead of buying my 3 kids wife and I tickets (the way we've seen every other Marvel movie). Not to mentioned saved on pop corn (cheaper when cooked at home) and soft drinks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    That's naive at best. If you seriously think that launching on à streaming service doesn't significantly alter the revenue from theatre release than your mad. At a cost of $30 to hire on Disney plus vs the cost of a family of 5 going to the cinema for $80 why wouldn't a family choose to save the $50. Added to which if the deal doesn't remunerate Johanson as well for streaming as I does for theatre its a massive case of lost income.

Personally I took my son, youngest daughter and 10 of my sons friends to the cinema to see it because that is how he wanted to celebrate his birthday. Had that not been the case I certainly would have played the $30 on Disney Plus on our projector instead of buying my 3 kids wife and I tickets (the way we've seen every other Marvel movie). Not to mentioned saved on pop corn (cheaper when cooked at home) and soft drinks.

Your not wrong. On the other hand how many people who streamed wouldn't have gone to the theater at all? I know for me personally I wasn't going to the theater to see BW but I streamed it. And I may do the same with Jungle Cruise.