Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default ScarJo Files Suit Against Disney

She has legit issues with same day digital release.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/scarlett-johansson-sues-disney-over-black-widow-release-will-more-suits-follow/ar-AAMIAlh

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I can certainly understand why she'd be pissed. And I *can't* understand why Disney thought they'd get away with it. Did they think Scarlett would just shrug off $50 million?

Astonishing Member

For me personally the only thing Disney should have done is redo her contract to give her a piece of the streaming. I am not sure what else they could have done.

When WB did the day 1 streaming streaming service thing, they paid out additional money to creative teams to compensate for lost revenue, apparently Disney didn't do this. Also Disney coming out and saying the first week of PA money may have damned them too, because that was money ScarJo didn't get.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, this seems like a pretty big unforced error on their part.

BANNED

I think Johansson is being a little selfish. She should understand this is unusual circumstances. Disney knew a lot of people is still uncomfortable going back the theaters, so they when to a same day release. Disney wasn’t operating in bad faith, nor was they trying to ripoff Johansson.
    Disney wasn’t in a position to just redo her contract, because then they would have to redo everyone’s contract.
    She needs to understand that she is not the only one who has been financially screwed by the pandemic.

Astonishing Member

In the end its millionaires arguing with billionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I think Johansson is being a little selfish. She should understand this is unusual circumstances. Disney knew a lot of people is still uncomfortable going back the theaters, so they when to a same day release. Disney wasn’t operating in bad faith, nor was they trying to ripoff Johansson.
    Disney wasn’t in a position to just redo her contract, because then they would have to redo everyone’s contract.
    She needs to understand that she is not the only one who has been financially screwed by the pandemic.
    Except when WB decided to the same thing with HBO Max they saw that it did infringe on prior agreements and renegotiated with all the affected talent.

Astonishing Member

Having your pay be based on the box office gross isn't normally in everyone's contract. Its usually reserved for A listers and directors/producers. Assuming she didn't just spring this on them with no notice and they tried to bring this up with Disney before it went public I have to agree with unforced error comments.

They should just call her in and settle unless she's just asking for a ton

Fantastic Member

She has a right to enforce the terms of her contract. AFAIK, getting a cut of the box office isn’t a common stipulation and it is usually the big stars who can negotiate that. If Disney wanted to stream the movie, they should’ve been on top of this the way the WB was.

That's not at all how contracts work nor should they. That's just a ridiculous response. They directly went back on their promise for a theatres only release. And they didn't give away the proceeds the made to charity, they profited from it. This wasn't some altruistic play on Disney's part and it's laughable to even try to frame it that way.

Fantastic Member

Same day streaming was announced a while ago so I doubt this is taking anyone by surprise. More likely, Disney doesn’t want to pay up and Scarlett’s lawyers were waiting for box office numbers to show real damages before presenting their case.

Well yeah, all the other Premier Access creative talent were also screwed out of money and those involved in Mulan, Cruella, etc should maybe think about forming a class action suit. I said this about Marvel, but it applies to Disney broadly too; they botched their pandemic rollout. They delayed already completed projects for over a year hoping to out wait the pandemic and now we are learning they screwed over their creative staff.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-29-2021 at 02:14 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That's not at all how contracts work nor should they. That's just a ridiculous response. They directly went back on their promise for a theatres only release. And they didn't give away the proceeds the made to charity, they profited from it. This wasn't some altruistic play on Disney's part and it's laughable to even try to frame it that way.
    We don’t know what the contract states, but I seriously doubt there is a promise for a theater only release. Especially when to contract was signed years before the pandemic. I don’t think Disney broke in the contract, she is getting the negotiating percentage from the box office, she is mad because Disney+ took away some of the money.
    People have lost more than her because of this pandemic, she need shut up and stop complaining.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-29-2021 at 02:11 PM.

We don’t know what the contract states, but I seriously doubt there is a promise for a theater only release. Especially when to contract was signed years before the pandemic. I don’t think Disney broke in the contract, she is getting the negotiating percentage from the box office, she is mad because Disney+ took away some of the money.
    People have lost more than her because of this pandemic, she need shut up and stop complaining.
    This is coming off as you just not reading the article, what's reported directly contradicts literally everything you just said.