Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Dont care if she is right or wrong I an just waiting for the normal this is not about money but about the principle while asking for tens of millions that celebs do in a lawsuit
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    We don’t know what the contract states, but I seriously doubt there is a promise for a theater only release. Especially when to contract was signed years before the pandemic. I don’t think Disney broke in the contract, she is getting the negotiating percentage from the box office, she is mad because Disney+ took away some of the money.
    People have lost more than her because of this pandemic, she need shut up and stop complaining.
    The article states what was in the contract and the reason for the lawsuit. You should really actually read up on topics before discussing them and coming to ridiculous conclusions.

BANNED

I feel Disney is going to have a good case to win here , the COVID pandemic very much in legal cases can fall under an act of God clause. which is to describe an event outside of human control or activity. Disney is not the cause of COVID that led to Black Widow's streaming. although I am sure Disney may pay her some little compensation not to hurt their image, but 50 million is just way too high for that, especially when they are not the primary cause of the problem.

We don’t know what the contract states, but I seriously doubt there is a promise for a theater only release. Especially when to contract was signed years before the pandemic. I don’t think Disney broke in the contract, she is getting the negotiating percentage from the box office, she is mad because Disney+ took away some of the money.
    People have lost more than her because of this pandemic, she need shut up and stop complaining.
    Are you actually saying she should know her place?

The way most contracts are structured, to the best of my knowledge, is that it is expected that a film that is meant to go to theaters (not direct-to-dvd movie) for a certain period of time. After that time has expired, the film will then be put out on streaming and dvd/blu ray.

From what I've read, Scarlet's contract gave her a cut of the theatrical profits. That was negotiated in good faith, with the understanding that the film would be in theaters for a certain period of time. But by putting the movie out on streaming at the same time they put it in theaters, it cut what the box office could have been and impacted the profits she should have received.

The Pandemic, while it was the catalyst for putting the movie out on streaming same day, is irrelevant. Warner Brothers faced this exact same situation, and renegotiated the contracts for several talents to take the streaming revenue into account. It appears that Disney didn't do that, and then bragged about the money they got from streaming.

Scarlet is right to be pissed off about that. Disney should have renegotiated her contract to take streaming into account, or worked with her to come to an amicable solution before the film was released. And I have no doubt that's what they would have done if the star of the movie had been Robert Downey Jr. Instead they thought they could lowball her by not renegotiating. Now we'll see if the courts agree with Scarlet, or if they see Disney's move as scummy, but legal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This is coming off as you just not reading the article, what's reported directly contradicts literally everything you just said.
    Oh, I read the article. Her lawyers are trying to make the argument that Disney meant only a theatrical release. This argument is going nowhere. She is getting compensated per contract and Disney has the right to release they products as they see fit. I think she will lose this case if it goes to court.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Are you actually saying she should know her place?
    No, that’s not what I’m saying.
    I’m saying, besides the lose of life, many have lose their job and business and the business that are surviving has lose money, including Disney. What makes her special? She making millions off her movie and it’s not enough for her, despite many others who has lose more. She should be ashamed of herself for bringing this suit. Other Hollywood talents also has been screw by streaming, but they took the lose because they understand we are living through a pandemic.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-29-2021 at 02:49 PM.

No, that’s not what I’m saying.
    I’m saying, besides the lose of life, many have lose their job and business and the business that are surviving has lose money, including Disney. What makes her special? She making millions off her movie and it’s not enough for her, despite many others who has lose more.
    Completely irrelevant to the legal situation.
    This is called an argument of false equivalence, just because other people had bad outcomes from COVID does not invalidate her greivence one bit.
    By your standards. because so many people died from COVID (the worst outcome) no one should complain about any other problem from the pandemic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Scarlet is right to be pissed off about that. Disney should have renegotiated her contract to take streaming into account, or worked with her to come to an amicable solution before the film was released. And I have no doubt that's what they would have done if the star of the movie had been Robert Downey Jr. Instead they thought they could lowball her by not renegotiating. Now we'll see if the courts agree with Scarlet, or if they see Disney's move as scummy, but legal.
    Thought the same thing. Sarcastically speaking it's a fitting end to the treatment she got over more than ten years. Have one of the biggest actresses in the world under contract, wait ten years to give her a solo movie and when you finally give her a standalone feature screw her over. Geez, what a look for a studio that is bragging about gender equality all the time...
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

An interesting aspect fo this is how much others will be watching this for precedent in future contract negotiations or for fallout with other films.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Completely irrelevant to the legal situation.
    This is called an argument of false equivalence, just because other people had bad outcomes from COVID does not invalidate her greivence one bit.
    By your standards. because so many people died from COVID (the worst outcome) no one should complain about any other problem from the pandemic.
    Yeah, I was coming from a moral view, not a legal view.

Contracts aren't these rigid, unimpeachable pieces of paper that people think they and even she didn't have a case, is this really how the story of Black Widow is going to end? Not with her solo movie, but the actress suing the company over her stolen labour? I hate how WB treated Ray Fischer, especially because I liked his performance, and I think his treatments is a black mark on WB and DC film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

She took the "get less pay for more theatre profits" and looks like it was in her contract for it to get a theatre run.

Note will smith has the same in his contract for his next movie also coming to hbo max (in fact the tennis family it's based on only oked the movie if it's got a full theatre run! Ouch!) and if will wants to can sue the pants off wb as well!

With this, the reports the two bobs at war with each other and reports of a nasty battle over disney access right now going on at disney plus reports disney access was a complete bust (there is a reason disney never told week 2 black widow numbers) and variety saying it heard disney is killing disney access for the rest of the year after jungle cruise (not confirmed) and imax ceo saying disney lost millions over access to all the theatre chains ticked at disney to pixar ticked off over luca this has not been a good start for chapek!

John talks about this mess here.

Part 2.

The woman is addressing this in court.

That is "Legal..." by it's very nature.

I try not to make moral judgements about people being screwed by large corporations, no matter who they are.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!