Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 619
  1. #61
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,814

    Default

    Disney Strikes Back:
    Just posted that. They blamed it on the virus again, tried to make her the bad guy and said it's ok to break contract because we payer her some money that is not part of her contract anyways.


    It made disney look even worse!

  2. #62
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    10,681

    Default

    This is interesting. If the theatrical release underperformed, causing her to lose out on money, that could be directly blamed on on Covid. But this issue is with Disney's way of mitigating their losses because of Covid.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-29-2021 at 04:48 PM.

  3. #63
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Disney Strikes Back:

    The Walt Disney Co. has fired back at Scarlet Johansson’s lawsuit over the release of Black Widow, in a biting statement in which it said that the litigation showed a “callous disregard” to the Covid-19 pandemic and even revealed that she has so far received $20 million from the project.

    A Disney spokesperson said, “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”
    This is so much BS, that is a statement that would be thrown out of court. You can't say you don't owe someone money on a contract you broke because you think someone else will pay them more later. The are digging a whole for themselves.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  4. #64
    Incredible Member chicago_bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This is interesting. If the theatrical release underperformed, causing her to lose out on money, that could be directly blamed on on Covid. But this over how Disney's way of mitigating their losses because of Covid.
    Disney doesn't mitigate its losses with the day and date release, this myth has to stop. They left money on the table with that move, other pandemic releases like F9 that have exclusive theatrical windows show that.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

  5. #65
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Everybody in some way is screwed this pandemic. ScarJo stand in line and take it like everyone else, you are not special.
    In local news (to me) the city of Chicago has had to enforce contracts that domestic workers and caregivers had with their agencies, as workers and caregivers often have to negotiate their own contracts. The agencies were trying to renege on their contracts using the pandemic as an excuse and violating their benefits to things like sick leave and fair hours, considering that many of these workers work odd hours and more than one job. The agencies' argument is that the pandemic curbed availability and accessibility of work. The workers argued that the pandemic actually increased their workload, that they weren't consulted on how to work through this, and that the agencies were profiting off the increased workload without honoring the proper contracts and compensation rates for the workers. Chicago ordered the agencies to show their receipts -- and they sided with the workers, resulting in enforcement of proportionate benefits, an expanded definition of what could count as sick leave, and a higher hourly wage in that industry.

    I'm drawing a lot of parallels between that particular case and this case between Disney and ScarJo because, sure, she's not special -- it's happening to folks making $45k, too. Whether an individual makes $45k or $45mil, companies are still dependent on labor and talent.

    So even from a moral standpoint your argument fails, but really, we should be keeping to the legal argument.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-29-2021 at 04:52 PM.

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,814

    Default

    This is interesting. If the theatrical release underperformed, causing her to lose out on money, that could be directly blamed on on Covid. But this over how Disney's way of mitigating their losses because of Covid.
    Johns video talks about full parties of 50 or more watching black widow. All 50 tickets lost. One guy talks in one of the episodes he goes to all mcu films three times but only went once due to plus. Ticket lost.

    It kills repeat viewing and adds bootlegs like crazy!
    A nice high grade bootleg with china subs from disney plus is all over china who has not got widow yet.

    Imax says disney lost millions over this. Yes this hurt the box office not just here but overseas. Some counties theatres even banned widow over the disney plus stunt.

  7. #67
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    10,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Johns video talks about full parties of 50 or more watching black widow. All 50 tickets lost. One guy talks in one of the episodes he goes to all mcu films three times but only went once due to plus. Ticket lost.

    It kills repeat viewing and adds bootlegs like crazy!
    A nice high grade bootleg with china subs from disney plus is all over china who has not got widow yet.

    Imax says disney lost millions over this. Yes this hurt the box office not just here but overseas. Some counties theatres even banned widow over the disney plus stunt.
    The point isn't about whether or not same day releases are actually successful, but that same day releases is Disney's response to Covid. And not necessarily a direct cause of Covid. Like underperforming ticket sales could argued to be.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-29-2021 at 06:59 PM.

  8. #68
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Disney Strikes Back:

    The Walt Disney Co. has fired back at Scarlet Johansson’s lawsuit over the release of Black Widow, in a biting statement in which it said that the litigation showed a “callous disregard” to the Covid-19 pandemic and even revealed that she has so far received $20 million from the project.

    A Disney spokesperson said, “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”
    While this is going to be for a court to sort?

    The fact that they are repeatedly attempting to frame the woman as heartless says a lot.

  9. #69
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    We donít know what the contract states, but I seriously doubt there is a promise for a theater only release. Especially when to contract was signed years before the pandemic. I donít think Disney broke in the contract, she is getting the negotiating percentage from the box office, she is mad because Disney+ took away some of the money.
    People have lost more than her because of this pandemic, she need shut up and stop complaining.
    The money she's asking for wasn't going for those unfortunate people who lost more. It's going to rich people at Disney.

    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Are you actually saying she should know her place?

    The way most contracts are structured, to the best of my knowledge, is that it is expected that a film that is meant to go to theaters (not direct-to-dvd movie) for a certain period of time. After that time has expired, the film will then be put out on streaming and dvd/blu ray.

    From what I've read, Scarlet's contract gave her a cut of the theatrical profits. That was negotiated in good faith, with the understanding that the film would be in theaters for a certain period of time. But by putting the movie out on streaming at the same time they put it in theaters, it cut what the box office could have been and impacted the profits she should have received.

    The Pandemic, while it was the catalyst for putting the movie out on streaming same day, is irrelevant. Warner Brothers faced this exact same situation, and renegotiated the contracts for several talents to take the streaming revenue into account. It appears that Disney didn't do that, and then bragged about the money they got from streaming.

    Scarlet is right to be pissed off about that. Disney should have renegotiated her contract to take streaming into account, or worked with her to come to an amicable solution before the film was released. And I have no doubt that's what they would have done if the star of the movie had been Robert Downey Jr. Instead they thought they could lowball her by not renegotiating. Now we'll see if the courts agree with Scarlet, or if they see Disney's move as scummy, but legal.
    There would likely be a different scenario with a star who wasn't in their last MCU movie.

    Benedict Cumberbatch knows that he could be replaced if Disney gets pissed at him.

    Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Disney doesn't mitigate its losses with the day and date release, this myth has to stop. They left money on the table with that move, other pandemic releases like F9 that have exclusive theatrical windows show that.
    There are some major advantages to day and date release.

    It increases the numbers of Disney Plus subscribers, which helps Disney's stock price.

    There's a potential problem in Hollywood that stockholders value the steady income of streaming more than the uncertainty of box office, even if box office ultimately makes more money.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  10. #70
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,814

    Default

    There are some major advantages to day and date release.

    It increases the numbers of Disney Plus subscribers, which helps Disney's stock price.
    Trouble with that is if you watch johns video it's reported disney access was a big fail. Notice only one film disney gave numbers to and that film they never told the second weeks numbers?

    They are saying they did awful. Not just john but others have reported this also that the four films other then bw week one (week two dropped like a rock they are saying) did awful or did not make what disney wanted! Vudu did better then disney access by a mile!

    So if it was a big fail AND hurts theatre what good is it?

  11. #71
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    I think many of you guys are arguing that Black Widow shouldn't have been released on Disney plus. Sorry I disagree. Me and my wife would have never gone to the theater in this environment right now. We are happy it was on Disney plus. And I don't think we are alone. BW was never going to light up the box office in this environment. Would it have made more. Sure. But I can tell you this consumer wasn't going to the theater to watch it because of covid. And I don't think I am alone. So basically many of you wanted released just in the theater in the middle of covid. Yea. Not for me. I am happy that Disney gave me the option.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-29-2021 at 07:01 PM.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,814

    Default

    I think many of you guys are arguing that Black Widow shouldn't have been released on Disney plus. Sorry I disagree. Me and my wife would have never gone to the theater in this environment right now. We are happy it was on Disney plus. And I don't think we are alone.
    Have both shots so i have no trouble going to the movies. I see more people at wal-mart or olive garden then the movies anyways.

  13. #73
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Have both shots so i have no trouble going to the movies. I see more people at wal-mart or olive garden then the movies anyways.

    Thats cool. And I have both shots as well. I still wasn't going to the theater in this environment. And if anyone is looking at any movie this year, thats sort of what a lot of people are thinking. Not going to the movies. I am telling you as a consumer and I am not taking sides on Disney or ScarJo. That I am glad the company gave me the option. Thats me personally, and my wife.


    Normally I would be going to see Jungle Cruise in the theater. You won't find me there. Now I don't know if I am going to pay for it on Disney plus. But I aint going to the theater.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-29-2021 at 07:23 PM.

  14. #74
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,582

    Default

    I don't really care if she lost a few Million boo hoo she still made crazy money on the MCU and BW lol

  15. #75
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Thats cool. And I have both shots as well. I still wasn't going to the theater in this environment. And if anyone is looking at any movie this year, thats sort of what a lot of people are thinking. Not going to the movies. I am telling you as a consumer and I am not taking sides on Disney or ScarJo. That I am glad the company gave me the option. Thats me personally, and my wife.


    Normally I would be going to see Jungle Cruise in the theater. You won't find me there. Now I don't know if I am going to pay for it on Disney plus. But I aint going to the theater.
    I'm with you there. I'm a Disney fan and glad that we have the option as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •