Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 628
  1. #76
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Disney doesn't mitigate its losses with the day and date release, this myth has to stop. They left money on the table with that move, other pandemic releases like F9 that have exclusive theatrical windows show that.
    Did they though? I was under the impression that Disney Plus was doing well...?

  2. #77
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think many of you guys are arguing that Black Widow shouldn't have been released on Disney plus. Sorry I disagree. Me and my wife would have never gone to the theater in this environment right now. We are happy it was on Disney plus. And I don't think we are alone. BW was never going to light up the box office in this environment. Would it have made more. Sure. But I can tell you this consumer wasn't going to the theater to watch it because of covid. And I don't think I am alone. So basically many of you wanted released just in the theater in the middle of covid. Yea. Not for me. I am happy that Disney gave me the option.
    While I'm just speaking for myself...

    What is in blue is a separate issue.

    The reality is that her lawyers are asserting that the company went around what was actually in the contract that they agreed to.

    If that winds up actually being the case, should she not have recourse?

  3. #78
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I think many of you guys are arguing that Black Widow shouldn't have been released on Disney plus. Sorry I disagree. Me and my wife would have never gone to the theater in this environment right now. We are happy it was on Disney plus. And I don't think we are alone. BW was never going to light up the box office in this environment. Would it have made more. Sure. But I can tell you this consumer wasn't going to the theater to watch it because of covid. And I don't think I am alone. So basically many of you wanted released just in the theater in the middle of covid. Yea. Not for me. I am happy that Disney gave me the option.
    There are some ways the movie was hurt by the Disney Plus release. It made it a lot easier to pirate.

    However, the lawsuit could have been avoided with a contract that took into account Disney plus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Trouble with that is if you watch johns video it's reported disney access was a big fail. Notice only one film disney gave numbers to and that film they never told the second weeks numbers?

    They are saying they did awful. Not just john but others have reported this also that the four films other then bw week one (week two dropped like a rock they are saying) did awful or did not make what disney wanted! Vudu did better then disney access by a mile!

    So if it was a big fail AND hurts theatre what good is it?
    If Disney made a bad decision, that doesn't alter the understanding of the contract. Their lawyers wouldn't be able to say that their plan to cheat a star didn't make as much money as anticipated.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    Same day streaming was announced a while ago so I doubt this is taking anyone by surprise. More likely, Disney doesn’t want to pay up and Scarlett’s lawyers were waiting for box office numbers to show real damages before presenting their case.
    Another reason for the timing of the suit would be that Johanson wouldn't want to be accused of hurting the initial box office by suing Disney.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 07-29-2021 at 07:51 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  4. #79
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'm just speaking for myself...

    What is in blue is a separate issue.

    The reality is that her lawyers are asserting that the company went around what was actually in the contract that they agreed to.

    If that winds up actually being the case, should she not have recourse?
    For me thats up to lawyers. I am just saying in my case as a consumer I am very happy Disney gave me the choice. I would not have gone to the theater.

  5. #80
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Maybe ScarJo agrees with Steven Dorff and she is trying to get out of her contract with Disney.

    Seem like she is biting the hand that feeds her.
    Last edited by luprki; 07-29-2021 at 09:07 PM.

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Is Natasha still alive in the comics? I have a strong feeling that she may be killed off pretty soon LOL. Grace Randolph did a great deep dive on this

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFqekHA-5Y
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-29-2021 at 09:17 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Maybe ScarJo agrees with Steven Dorff and she is trying to get out of her contract with Disney.

    Seem like she is biting the hand that feeds her.
    For 50 million dollar payout is worth several movies for her.

  8. #83
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    On the one hand, I can understand her complaint. Her contract specifically stated it would get a exclusive theatre release (obviously, that couldn't happen in this climate). If her contract stipulated she gets a fee and a percentage of box office revenue, then her overall salary has been impeded.

    On the other hand, Disney needed to get this film out there and, especially here in Australia where we are still in lockdown, a simultaneous release was the only way to get payday from it. Especially in countries like here and elsewhere that covid remains a issue.

    Is she still contracted for more films? Because this action is liable to sour the relationship with the mouse. Maybe she wanted that bigger payday so she could ride off into the sunset.

  9. #84
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    I wish I can read the actual contract. If the contract actually states the movie must be a theatrical release only, then she has a case.
    If the contract doesn’t state this, then she has no cases and it’s a frivolous lawsuit.
    But the ridiculous part of her lawsuit is that Disney released the movie in a weak market. She is not only suing because of streaming, she is actually suing because of the release date. This movie like every movie is a victim of covid, she needs to get off that high horse. We are all victim of covid
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of the Evil Mouse. Putting this on D+ was a good thing for people who are still not comfortable going back to theaters.

  10. #85
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I wish I can read the actual contract. If the contract actually states the movie must be a theatrical release only, then she has a case.
    If the contract doesnít state this, then she has no cases and itís a frivolous lawsuit.
    But the ridiculous part of her lawsuit is that Disney released the movie in a weak market. She is not only suing because of streaming, she is actually suing because of the release date. This movie like every movie is a victim of covid, she needs to get off that high horse. We are all victim of covid
    Donít get me wrong, Iím not a fan of the Evil Mouse. Putting this on D+ was a good thing for people who are still not comfortable going back to theaters.
    Which has got right around "Zero..." to do with what needs to be hashed out.

    If Disney did make a call that stepped outside of the lines of the contract, it is going to have to deeal with the consequences of doing so.

    This whole "We are all victims..." bit falls apart right around where someone had a contract.

    The entire point of a contract is to keep everyone honest and ensure that the folks involved are not victimized.

  11. #86
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,608

    Default

    (Except For "Classic Coke..." Recording Contracts. They Were Always Set Up To Victimize The Artists...)

  12. #87
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Did they though? I was under the impression that Disney Plus was doing well...?
    So is the suit about Disney Plus' subscription or Premier Access?
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-29-2021 at 10:50 PM.

  13. #88
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    The question is was there an Act of God or Emergency clause in the contract. It probably was because Disney has high price lawyers.
    An Act of God clause is when something that happens that total uncontrollable by both parties, such as earthquakes, hurricanes, meteors and global pandemics. An Emergency clause is usually an act of men, such as war, riots etc…
    From time to time there may have legitimate reasons to vary the contract. Disney more than likely has the flexibility to vary from the contract if a situation appears that not controlled by either party.

  14. #89
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    I understand both parties views. Maybe Disney should compensate ScarJo with a percentage of the 60M+ they made off Disney+? But the whole industry is suffering from COVID so it's hard for me to sympathize with her financial loss. Plus without the box office from China she probably would have fallen very short from her expected profit payout.

  15. #90
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I understand both parties views. Maybe Disney should compensate ScarJo with a percentage of the 60M+ they made off Disney+? But the whole industry is suffering from COVID so it's hard for me to sympathize with her financial loss. Plus without the box office from China she probably would have fallen very short from her expected profit payout.


    I actually don't understand it. Because after thinking about it there is no way anyone could project what this earns in Box office if released without streaming. They dropped her 20 million. Thats a lot of money. Personally I am thinking more and more like this is a garbage lawsuit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •