Default Wolverine #14: Fox Hunt

clean.jpg

Issue starts off with Logan in Madripoor, he's on board the now destroyed Marauder doing some detective work. There was clearly a fight and someone was shot, but they apparently bleed an acidic blood (ALIENS!), there is also a few Russian items along with a few dead Russians lying around. We also find out Christian didn't actually die, but came pretty close to it. Logan goes to interrogate the harbormaster and around that same time Emma Frost shows up and reads the harbormasters mind for the info they need, she conscripts Logan in the the HTC and assigns him to track down the people that did this because they are her next victims. Logan makes a comment that he thinks Frost may be in on this to himself but does what Emma asks him to do. He talks to one of the surviving Russians from the attack and finds out that they were there to steal the logic diamonds and that the other party was an Arraki pirate syndicate called boneclutch and the leader is Sevyr Blackmore. Logan finds Blackmore and has an duel with him if Logan wins Blackmore gives up some intel and some good whiskey, if Blackmore wins....ain't happening. The duel happens and Blackmore decides he likes Logan, he explains that the Arraki will need to continue to plunder and murder on Earth just as they did on Arrako, Logan says he doesn't care who they plunder and kill as long as it's not Krakoa and the mutants. We get the end and the part we all know is coming, Solem is behind all of the trouble and he screwed of Blackmore!

I really enjoyed this issue, Kubert's art was off the charts, especially the cover, when we do the vote for best cover of the year this issue is getting my vote for sure. Percy also did a great job moving the plot along and his dialogue was spot on for Logan and Emma. We got a lot of info in this issue both traditionally and through the use of data pages. One thing that did surprise me was Logan not caring about the Arraki's plundering Earth, I know it's not outside of his character to be that way but both Hickman and Percy have consistently used Logan as someone who has always kept the idea that humans and mutants aren't really different, they both have good and bad operators. I think what Percy was going for was more Logan being assured that the mutants are safe and strong now as opposed to having to hide and be persecuted, but it was enough of a statement to grab my attention. I also have a feeling we night see the Pale Girl again soon because if I'm remembering correctly she was working for the Russians, plus we know Bannister is coming back into play. Obviously the logic diamonds are to be used with the Cerebro sword that Mikhail has, so it seems like X-Force and Wolverine will continue to be fairly linked.

I'm hoping that Percy keeps up this pace because his last few issues have been great and we are finally moving along in the stories he's laid out so far. I know we had XoS and then the Gala and both of those sidetracked a lot of titles not just Percy's, but in general I feel like we are finally getting some answers to long standing questions.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

You're not telling Solem is behind robbing the Shi'ar diamonds and (almost) killing Christian, are you?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    You're not telling Solem is behind robbing the Shi'ar diamonds and (almost) killing Christian, are you?
    No I think that one is Mikhail. Solem might be stirring the pot though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Yeah I think Solem was doing his own op and it happened to clash with Mikhail's lol

I agree that this issue was much better from a plot and pacing standpoint, and Kubert definitely brought his A-game! Really looking forward to the next issue and seeing where this goes. Solem has a cool visual and personality, and I’m hoping he sticks around as a new addition to Logan’s rogues gallery.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    What if it's Pale girl?(assuming she is an Arraki working with Solem and the Russians but not allied to Mikhail) , maybe a long shot but this issue got me thinking what if unlike other free arraki, she is still somewhere incarcerated either in Arrako or on Amenth and has such vast psionic/telepathic reach that she is always in this 'astral' form because she is not yet free, and to make it even more fun maybe Solem wants to break her free because she is an old flame of his

I'm really enjoying this title. I think it may be my favorite X- Title at this moment. At first I wasn't crazy at all about the vampire thing but even that was done well. There seems to be some good stuff building here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    What if it's Pale girl?(assuming she is an Arraki working with Solem and the Russians but not allied to Mikhail) , maybe a long shot but this issue got me thinking what if unlike other free arraki, she is still somewhere incarcerated either in Arrako or on Amenth and has such vast psionic/telepathic reach that she is always in this 'astral' form because she is not yet free, and to make it even more fun maybe Solem wants to break her free because she is an old flame of his
    That could be interesting. It would help explain why we've never seen her before.

This issue was flat out great. It feels like percy has been refreshed. Very interested in what solem has planned as the issue he was in of wolverine imo was one of the best issues. Kubert art in this issue was also some of the best in years imo. Some artist just belong at marvel like bagley and romita jr
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

My fave page from the issue.
    wolverinefavpanel.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I also loved this issue, the best of the week for me, and we had SWORD, so that's big. Kubert did impressive art, so detailed in the background and the character work is always great.

I didn't care much for the last arc with vampires, but now I'm excited again. Percy is slowing building many plots in Wolverine and X-Force, and when things start to crash, it becomes very interesting. I imagine it is very awkward to read only one of the books though.

This mystery of what happened in the Marauder is more interesting than I've could anticipate. And I liked that there are Arraki mutants on Earth, because they want to dominate the softies here. That seems like something they would do. Blackmore is very 90's, but in a fun way.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    My fave page from the issue.
    wolverinefavpanel.jpg
    Yes! I was impressed. Great visuals.