Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 144

Thread: X-MEN 2 Preview

  1. #61
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Rogue's state in the preview directly that they were Krakoan elected. They are using Krakoan tech for their main base and are bank by them. It's their nation. While the team will likely operate on their own, it's not like they abandon their ties to them. This is still part of that, just independant. And even if they weren't, publically they are still associated with them. especially after planet size.
    Yes, but the main point of the whole X-Men team is to be heroes for everyone and they are doing that by separating themselves morally from the council of douches. Krakoa may be bankrolling them but the public perception is that the X-Men are heroes for everyone.

    Why would the public care about Rhino a bank robber when Krakoans are known to hang out with Apocalypse and Selene?

    The main public seems to distrust Krakoa, but has welcomed the X-Men with open arms, because X-Men aren't seen as putting Krakoans always first even if they're criminals.

    My point stands, that if the narrative crafted is negative, Ben Grimm isn't going to improve it.
    Agreed. Never disagreed on this. I'm saying that the narrative could only be crafted as negative because the X-Men are seen as heroes first and Krakoan second. There would be no negative narrative to follow if it's just Krakoans though. Hanging out w Rhino isn't gonna cause any buzz cause Krakoans are welcoming of way worse criminals and Krakoans are generally distrusted but the X-Men in this age are trusted and aren't known for associating with criminals even if they are low level.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-30-2021 at 08:51 AM.

  2. #62
    Mugga, please. xhx23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yes, but the main point of the whole X-Men team is to be heroes for everyone and they are doing that by separating themselves morally from the council of douches. Krakoa may be bankrolling them but the public perception is that the X-Men are heroes for everyone.

    Why would the public care about Rhino a bank robber when Krakoans are known to hang out with Apocalypse and Selene?

    The main public seems to distrust Krakoa, but has welcomed the X-Men with open arms, because X-Men aren't seen as putting Krakoans always first even if they're criminals.
    I understand what you mean, but you're missing my point. This is not about the people who love the X-Men or are welcoming to them, this is about the people who already hate mutants as a group and seek to take them down. Like in the real world, people's distrust of one thing can extent to others. Yes, the public can accept the concept of the X-Men more rather than Krakoa's, so that's why optics are super important in this case. I'm not arguing against your point. I'm simply stating that there's no real distinction in the eyes of the people who seek to tear them down.

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Why would the public care about Rhino a bank robber when Krakoans are known to hang out with Apocalypse and Selene?
    Right?? Rhinos a better person than most of the Quiet Council. Mutants are the last people to judge anyone's company. They're literally in the process of covering up a murder, (including the X-Men)

  4. #64
    Ultimate Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Right?? Rhinos a better person than most of the Quiet Council. Mutants are the last people to judge anyone's company. They're literally in the process of covering up a murder, (including the X-Men)
    The debate is about the PUBLIC perception of who the mutants are keeping company with...hahaha...not the other way around.

  5. #65
    Incredible Member Captain Nash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Looking pretty good, but gosh I wish Gambit would get moved to this team.

  6. #66
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    75

    Default

    LMAO…not the morality talk.

    “Heroes” destroy entire cities, kill thousands of people in one battle, hoard resources (Hello, Tony Stark), promote xenophobia/sexism/racism Etc etc. We can also get into the whole “who’s interests do their heroics REALLY serve” discussion if you girls insist…

    Or we can realize the concept of a “hero” only holds any meaning in context. Rhino robbing a few banks is literally….nothing?

    And Rhino is probably a hero to some in the public. And if not yet, then when a WRITER decides he is. Yalll PLEASE.

  7. #67
    Extraordinary Member Purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,864

    Default

    Gambit is playing poker with a villain, grey character and hero. It feets his characterization perfectly.

    It seems his A+X story where he was playing poker with Thing is not forgotten.

  8. #68
    Incredible Member Stormultt Divine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    799

    Default

    Not Rhino and Blackcat lol

  9. #69
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I understand what you mean, but you're missing my point. This is not about the people who love the X-Men or are welcoming to them, this is about the people who already hate mutants as a group and seek to take them down. Like in the real world, people's distrust of one thing can extent to others. Yes, the public can accept the concept of the X-Men more rather than Krakoa's, so that's why optics are super important in this case. I'm not arguing against your point. I'm simply stating that there's no real distinction in the eyes of the people who seek to tear them down.
    What? We're talking about public perception not about ORCHIS. Of course, enemies like ORCHIS make no distinction between any mutants, but the public DOES. They distrust Krakoans but they trust the X-Men.

    So a headline about Krakoans hanging out with villains would get zero buzz but a headline about the X-Men (who are seen as heroes first and Krakoans second) hanging out with villains actually would create buzz.

  10. #70
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    7,487

    Default

    Ha! Love that fun little prev and along with the earlier pages...I can't wait!!!
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Planet Arakko, FOREVER!!!

  11. #71
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    10,090

    Default

    Ben Grimm is not a cop who cares about Black Cat and Rhino's larceny.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    What’s up with that coffee mug anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love that little detail. It highlights Lorna's nonchalance in the face of adversity and overall badassery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Oh, so she is on the brink of her next personality crisis breakdown?
    Jokes aside, I would hope nobody at Marvel takes that path. There's a history with Marvel of having Lorna "look tough" or "talk big" and then immediately following it up with her being humiliated in some manner - usually by having her get beat down by some other random character they have more respect for. It's essentially a fetish of presenting a cool tough woman and seeing her broken. Which, arguably has its roots in sexism, suggesting women are fragile creatures no matter how much they pretend otherwise.

    This is, of course, different from Lorna having mental and emotional issues and dealing with trauma. Any cool, tough character can have such things to deal with. Just look at Magneto and Wolverine. The key is in proper, respectful portrayal in the midst of such matters. It's one thing to have a character react strongly to trauma, it's another entirely to ignore past character development (emphasis on development, which is different from simple past use) and lean into old bad tropes.
    I can also be reached on Twitter and WordPress. Avatar by kahlart.

    Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

    Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

  13. #73
    Fantastic Member thjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Love this preview! Gambit is used perfectly here and I love that Black Cat and the Thing were playing with him. Ben's "all three of yer fancy-pants names" line is so funny and so Ben Grimm. Oh, and Rogue looks great on this page. I can't wait til this overcomes out.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love that little detail. It highlights Lorna's nonchalance in the face of adversity and overall badassery.
    Which is a good take on the character. So far its felt to me like a fine modernization of her original queen of mutants persona into more of an urban mutant princess.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-30-2021 at 12:05 PM.

  15. #75
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    12,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    LMAO…not the morality talk.

    “Heroes” destroy entire cities, kill thousands of people in one battle, hoard resources (Hello, Tony Stark), promote xenophobia/sexism/racism Etc etc. We can also get into the whole “who’s interests do their heroics REALLY serve” discussion if you girls insist…

    Or we can realize the concept of a “hero” only holds any meaning in context. Rhino robbing a few banks is literally….nothing?

    And Rhino is probably a hero to some in the public. And if not yet, then when a WRITER decides he is. Yalll PLEASE.
    Pretty much, sadly. I mean, nobody really has room to be casting stones after all the morally dubious, if not even flat-out heinous, crap most of the "heroes" have gotten up to over the years and then forgiven, excused, let slide, or even covered up. The only reason people are freaking out about the X-Men and Krakoa is that Krakoa is basically mutants refusing to play victim and beg for respect and acceptance from a society that remains intrinsically inimical to their existence, declaring that they'll live and thrive on their own terms and not the terms set by their oppressors. Thus, those people go on about mutants' "moral decay" while ignoring all the times humanity tried to wipe mutants out of existence and nonmutant heroes said or did nothing to stop them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •