Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: X-MEN 2 Preview

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Rogue's state in the preview directly that they were Krakoan elected. They are using Krakoan tech for their main base and are bank by them. It's their nation. While the team will likely operate on their own, it's not like they abandon their ties to them. This is still part of that, just independant. And even if they weren't, publically they are still associated with them. especially after planet size.
    Yes, but the main point of the whole X-Men team is to be heroes for everyone and they are doing that by separating themselves morally from the council of douches. Krakoa may be bankrolling them but the public perception is that the X-Men are heroes for everyone.

Why would the public care about Rhino a bank robber when Krakoans are known to hang out with Apocalypse and Selene?

The main public seems to distrust Krakoa, but has welcomed the X-Men with open arms, because X-Men aren't seen as putting Krakoans always first even if they're criminals.

My point stands, that if the narrative crafted is negative, Ben Grimm isn't going to improve it.
    Agreed. Never disagreed on this. I'm saying that the narrative could only be crafted as negative because the X-Men are seen as heroes first and Krakoan second. There would be no negative narrative to follow if it's just Krakoans though. Hanging out w Rhino isn't gonna cause any buzz cause Krakoans are welcoming of way worse criminals and Krakoans are generally distrusted but the X-Men in this age are trusted and aren't known for associating with criminals even if they are low level.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 07-30-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Yes, but the main point of the whole X-Men team is to be heroes for everyone and they are doing that by separating themselves morally from the council of douches. Krakoa may be bankrolling them but the public perception is that the X-Men are heroes for everyone.

Why would the public care about Rhino a bank robber when Krakoans are known to hang out with Apocalypse and Selene?

The main public seems to distrust Krakoa, but has welcomed the X-Men with open arms, because X-Men aren't seen as putting Krakoans always first even if they're criminals.
    I understand what you mean, but you're missing my point. This is not about the people who love the X-Men or are welcoming to them, this is about the people who already hate mutants as a group and seek to take them down. Like in the real world, people's distrust of one thing can extent to others. Yes, the public can accept the concept of the X-Men more rather than Krakoa's, so that's why optics are super important in this case. I'm not arguing against your point. I'm simply stating that there's no real distinction in the eyes of the people who seek to tear them down.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Right?? Rhinos a better person than most of the Quiet Council. Mutants are the last people to judge anyone's company. They're literally in the process of covering up a murder, (including the X-Men)

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Right?? Rhinos a better person than most of the Quiet Council. Mutants are the last people to judge anyone's company. They're literally in the process of covering up a murder, (including the X-Men)
    The debate is about the PUBLIC perception of who the mutants are keeping company with...hahaha...not the other way around.

Looking pretty good, but gosh I wish Gambit would get moved to this team.

BANNED

LMAO…not the morality talk.

“Heroes” destroy entire cities, kill thousands of people in one battle, hoard resources (Hello, Tony Stark), promote xenophobia/sexism/racism Etc etc. We can also get into the whole “who’s interests do their heroics REALLY serve” discussion if you girls insist…

Or we can realize the concept of a “hero” only holds any meaning in context. Rhino robbing a few banks is literally….nothing?

And Rhino is probably a hero to some in the public. And if not yet, then when a WRITER decides he is. Yalll PLEASE.

Gambit is playing poker with a villain, grey character and hero. It feets his characterization perfectly.

It seems his A+X story where he was playing poker with Thing is not forgotten.

Not Rhino and Blackcat lol

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I understand what you mean, but you're missing my point. This is not about the people who love the X-Men or are welcoming to them, this is about the people who already hate mutants as a group and seek to take them down. Like in the real world, people's distrust of one thing can extent to others. Yes, the public can accept the concept of the X-Men more rather than Krakoa's, so that's why optics are super important in this case. I'm not arguing against your point. I'm simply stating that there's no real distinction in the eyes of the people who seek to tear them down.
    What? We're talking about public perception not about ORCHIS. Of course, enemies like ORCHIS make no distinction between any mutants, but the public DOES. They distrust Krakoans but they trust the X-Men.

So a headline about Krakoans hanging out with villains would get zero buzz but a headline about the X-Men (who are seen as heroes first and Krakoans second) hanging out with villains actually would create buzz.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Ha! Love that fun little prev and along with the earlier pages...I can't wait!!!
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Ben Grimm is not a cop who cares about Black Cat and Rhino's larceny.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    What’s up with that coffee mug anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love that little detail. It highlights Lorna's nonchalance in the face of adversity and overall badassery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Oh, so she is on the brink of her next personality crisis breakdown?
    Jokes aside, I would hope nobody at Marvel takes that path. There's a history with Marvel of having Lorna "look tough" or "talk big" and then immediately following it up with her being humiliated in some manner - usually by having her get beat down by some other random character they have more respect for. It's essentially a fetish of presenting a cool tough woman and seeing her broken. Which, arguably has its roots in sexism, suggesting women are fragile creatures no matter how much they pretend otherwise.

This is, of course, different from Lorna having mental and emotional issues and dealing with trauma. Any cool, tough character can have such things to deal with. Just look at Magneto and Wolverine. The key is in proper, respectful portrayal in the midst of such matters. It's one thing to have a character react strongly to trauma, it's another entirely to ignore past character development (emphasis on development, which is different from simple past use) and lean into old bad tropes.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Love this preview! Gambit is used perfectly here and I love that Black Cat and the Thing were playing with him. Ben's "all three of yer fancy-pants names" line is so funny and so Ben Grimm. Oh, and Rogue looks great on this page. I can't wait til this overcomes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I love that little detail. It highlights Lorna's nonchalance in the face of adversity and overall badassery.
    Which is a good take on the character. So far its felt to me like a fine modernization of her original queen of mutants persona into more of an urban mutant princess.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-30-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PANDEMONIUM View Post
    LMAO…not the morality talk.

“Heroes” destroy entire cities, kill thousands of people in one battle, hoard resources (Hello, Tony Stark), promote xenophobia/sexism/racism Etc etc. We can also get into the whole “who’s interests do their heroics REALLY serve” discussion if you girls insist…

Or we can realize the concept of a “hero” only holds any meaning in context. Rhino robbing a few banks is literally….nothing?

And Rhino is probably a hero to some in the public. And if not yet, then when a WRITER decides he is. Yalll PLEASE.
    Pretty much, sadly. I mean, nobody really has room to be casting stones after all the morally dubious, if not even flat-out heinous, crap most of the "heroes" have gotten up to over the years and then forgiven, excused, let slide, or even covered up. The only reason people are freaking out about the X-Men and Krakoa is that Krakoa is basically mutants refusing to play victim and beg for respect and acceptance from a society that remains intrinsically inimical to their existence, declaring that they'll live and thrive on their own terms and not the terms set by their oppressors. Thus, those people go on about mutants' "moral decay" while ignoring all the times humanity tried to wipe mutants out of existence and nonmutant heroes said or did nothing to stop them.
    The spider is always on the hunt.