Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: X-MEN 2 Preview

If that's the case, that's a delightful deep dive and I applaud these efforts! <3

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The card game scene is cute, I need more character moments like this for the rest of the cast. Although I don't know that Rogue would be overly concerned about appearances or the presence of petty criminals, being a former one herself.

The set up of fighting a monster of the week sent from space reminds me of Power Rangers, that's not a compliment.

Man, I love the scene. I kinda hope we get these shenanigans with a random page or two dedicated to a Krakoan cameo crashing the treehouse every now and then. I like how the Paparazzi line works well as a nice joke but a reminder that Ben Ulrich is pretty much just waiting for even a slight slip up to crack the mutant story.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    GASP. Dare to dream, right? Each member getting a page of their morning routine and some thought bubbles? Oh blessed be, gimme them thought bubbles!
    Perhaps Jean is curious how her BFF Storm is doing up on Mars.
    Perhaps Scott is ruminating -- not on strategies for once, but on some creative outlet he's taken up. Or maybe hoping that Alex and/or Nathan are doing well.
    Laura may be wondering what Gabby is up to.
    Polaris thinking about the Wanda of it all, and hoping her X-Factor team are finding success in their investigation.
    Ev maybe talking to Angelo about the tree house and their recent Mechsuit success.
    Jean: pondering, in depth, how things have changed for the better and worse since the formation of Krakoa; reflecting on her marriage to Scott and romantic friendship with Logan; thinking about her role in the lives of Rachel and Nathan; considering being a mentor to Synch and Laura; psi-linking with Ororo to tell her she’s proud of and misses her; reflecting on why she’s chosen to wear her old costume, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The card game scene is cute, I need more character moments like this for the rest of the cast. Although I don't know that Rogue would be overly concerned about appearances or the presence of petty criminals, being a former one herself.
    I imagine that with the formation of the team, a discussion was had around the importance of OPTICS, especially in such a high profile, visible space.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Eh, I mean Ben's there and the FF are super popular in-univetse. That'd help counteract any bad optics

I imagine that with the formation of the team, a discussion was had around the importance of OPTICS, especially in such a high profile, visible space.
    Yeah, again, Ben Ulrich made it pretty clear he's chasing the story like a dog with a bone. Not to mention this has ALWAYS been the thing that drives the X-Men into going out as public heroes. The perception. Is what Xavier wanted when he gave them all individual costumes after they graduated. Even in Astonishing when Scott ordered them to go back to colorful costumes. Mutants, like many minorities, have to work double to be able to just exist in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Jean: pondering, in depth, how things have changed for the better and worse since the formation of Krakoa; reflecting on her marriage to Scott and romantic friendship with Logan; thinking about her role in the lives of Rachel and Nathan; considering being a mentor to Synch and Laura; psi-linking with Ororo to tell her she’s proud of and misses her; reflecting on why she’s chosen to wear her old costume, etc.
    Holy cats, I would loooooove this. I mean, I would probably scream out loud if I read that bit about her reflecting on her current personal life and family dynamics. I WISH WISH WISH.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Yeah, again, Ben Ulrich made it pretty clear he's chasing the story like a dog with a bone. Not to mention this has ALWAYS been the thing that drives the X-Men into going out as public heroes. The perception. Is what Xavier wanted when he gave them all individual costumes after they graduated. Even in Astonishing when Scott ordered them to go back to colorful costumes. Mutants, like many minorities, have to work double to be able to just exist in the world.
    100% this. Thank you for articulating all of this, xhx23x!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Eh, I mean Ben's there and the FF are super popular in-univetse. That'd help counteract any bad optics
    I'd argue that, in the current climate and all the controversy surround Krakoa at large, with Mars etc etc that Ben ALONE isn't going to dramatically tilt the narrative of "Mutants invite known criminals into their home for Poker"
    Last edited by Fokken; 07-30-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Sure, but in universe there's always been a bias with the other heroes vs the X-Men. People might excuse Ben being there as something else. Or ignore his presence completely in favour of the juicy click-bait: Krakoans Socializing with Known Bank Robber, Rhino!

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Sure, but in universe there's always been a bias with the other heroes vs the X-Men. People might excuse Ben being there as something else. Or ignore his presence completely in favour of the juicy click-bait: Krakoans Socializing with Known Bank Robber, Rhino!
    Right? I can easily see someone spinning the coverage of something like that as "Krakoan Representatives CORRUPT beloved Local Hero" [insert eye roll here]

Mighty Member

Except it's not Krakoans doing it. It's the X-Men, a team formed out of wanting to be more heroic and less "Krakoan" which are know for welcoming villains in and always putting mutants first. So I can understand Rogue's concern.

So a headline about Krakoan socializing with villains wouldn't get any buzz but the X-Men doing it? It does affect optics.

Right? I can easily see someone spinning the coverage of something like that as "Krakoan Representatives CORRUPT beloved Local Hero" [insert eye roll here]
    Oh yeah. I remember I took issue with that when I was younger, but seeing how social media and discourse of the last few years have "evolve", I honestly buy this type of behaviour more and more every day. On a side note, I kinda wish we could see some sort of Paparazzi headline, ala JJJ in the Spidey books, doing that type of coverage on mutants more often, just to get a feel on their current public status.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Except it's not Krakoans doing it. It's the X-Men, a team formed out of wanting to be more heroic and less "Krakoan" which are know for welcoming villains in and always putting mutants first.
    Rogue's state in the preview directly that they were Krakoan elected. They are using Krakoan tech for their main base and are bank by them. It's their nation. While the team will likely operate on their own, it's not like they abandon their ties to them. This is still part of that, just independant. And even if they weren't, publically they are still associated with them. especially after planet size.

Except it's not Krakoans doing it. It's the X-Men, a team formed out of wanting to be more heroic and less "Krakoan" which are know for welcoming villains in and always putting mutants first. So I can understand Rogue's concern.

So a headline about Krakoan socializing with villains wouldn't get any buzz but the X-Men doing it? It does affect optics.
    My point stands, that if the narrative crafted is negative, Ben Grimm isn't going to improve it.

Exactly. I agree.