Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Writing Challenge: How Do You Fix 'Injustice' Wonder Woman?

So how about this:
    Netherrealm Studios is making a new Injustice game, and you've been assigned the head writer of the story. And they, hoping to capitalize on Wonder Woman's current popularity, say they want the story to focus more on her and do better by her than the previous games have.

What do you do? What story do you come up with? How do you even begin to salvage her?

Me...
    The easiest solution is to reveal some sort of corrupting influence, if not full blown mind control. Some might see that as a cop-out, but personally I think Diana's depiction in these games is so far off the map, the only explanation has to be some external force turning her into the monster we see.

Circe would be an ideal choice for the one responsible. I'm not sure what her overall plan would be, but the immediate personal goal would be obvious. If Diana's actions were her doing or due to her influence, she ruined Wonder Woman. She destroyed Diana's reputation, her integrity, her relationship to her fellow Amazons, and turned her into a total mockery of everything she stood for and believed.
    And, since they've established Diana was the devil on Superman's shoulder who encouraged him to become a fascist, by corrupting her, Circe successfully destroyed the Justice League and the people's faith in them.

If it was Circe all along...she won.

But the big question is how she could pull off such a deception when Wonder Woman has the Lasso of Truth? Wouldn't that be the exact sort of thing the Lasso would protect her against?

Here's my idea: it's not the real Lasso. Circe managed to steal it in secret at some point and replaced it with another magic lasso that she created. One she forged using the power/soul of the Duke of Deception, designed to warp Diana's mind and desires.
    I'd even go so far as to suggest the bad lasso screws with her memories. Steve wasn't a Nazi and never betrayed her; the Lasso of Deception made her believe that so she'd be more susceptible to corruption.
    Also just another screw you from Circe to Diana--tainting the memories of the man she once loved.

Whatever brief flashes of the real Wonder Woman we saw throughout these games was the real her resisting the evil lasso. When she got gassed by Scarecrow in Injustice 2 and almost admitted to herself she's partially responsible for what Clark's become, the fear gas was ironically helping her fight it.

Anyway, with the League in shambles, Superman a tyrant, and Wonder Woman a hated pariah, Circe can move forward with the next phase of her plans. I don't know what, I haven't thought that far ahead...but world domination surely.

For the game's ending (the good ending, since there's usually multiple endings for story mode), Diana has regained the real Lasso of Truth, defeated Circe, and maybe even struck a crippling blow to Superman's regime. She gives up her title as Wonder Woman--knowing that Circe's influence does not absolve her of what she's done--but vows to devote her life to cleaning up the mess she helped bring about.

That's what I got. Probably doesn't address everything, and yes, before anyone says it, I know if/when they make a new Injustice game, they won't bother redeeming Wonder Woman in any way. Certainly none that wouldn't involve Batman being the hero, I'm sure.

This is strictly hypothetical. So how about you? How would you try to fix Injustice Wonder Woman if you had the chance?

I did a write up a few years ago of my own Injustice "fix" where my own proposal was Diana leads her own independent faction based out of Themyscira (Olympian magic means not even Superman can get through it's protections). She leads her own resistance against Superman but doesn't align with Batman because of his open alliance with unrepentant mass murderers like Harley Quinn and his general "my way or the highway, plebs" authoritarian attitude.

She's also the one responsible for bringing in the heroes of the "good universe" to help.

Granted this is more of a re-write of the entire franchise but the current iteration is, like you say, unsalvageable because of the combined efforts of NRS and Tom Taylor.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-29-2021 at 08:24 PM.

The Circe Idea isn't half bad, I actually like it if that were the case. Maybe Circe gets to Diana at the same time as Superman kills Joker? Two pinnacles of heroism destroyed by villains trying to tarnish their legacies.

Ironically, I think Diana would be in agreeance with Clark killing Joker after what he did. Its supporting his fascist regime where the game losses me and putting the lusting succubus trope on top of it puts Injustice Diana as the #1 worst version of the character for me. If Diana was like "listen, I understand what you did, and I don't judge you for it. I have had to make that decision before. So, I know what taking a life can do to you, and you've never been prepared to do so.... This path your taking is cruel and wrong... and I can't sit by and support you for it... you will not have my voice at your side". Of course that would require a nuanced and general understanding of Diana's morality and judgement, which Injustice doesn't have time for. Batman needs to fight Superman after all. And knowing how Injustice is usually written, Clark would Kill Diana right then and there, probably in one punch.

As for if I had to start from where Injustice 2 ended (assuming its the Batman ending), I'd probably have it to where Diana was never Diana but Grail in disguise. Using Apokolips technology to change her appearance to match that of her "sister", Grail was ordered by Darkseid to manipulate Clark into becoming a slave to Darkseid's will. A reference to the Superman animated series. The real Diana is trapped in the lowest pits of Apokolips being tortured by Desaad and trying to find away to use her body as a vessel for Genocide.....
    Last edited by Perseus; 07-29-2021 at 08:49 PM.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Her sword is the anti-life equation
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uI9m8jSk6h0

Oh a better one, that keeps in “continuity” with the previous games and comics

Opening cinematic is Diana waking up in bed with Steve saying she had the weirdest dream and then gets a distress call from the JL saying they’ve received a transmission from Alexander Luther on Earth-3.
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-29-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Yeah that circe idea sounds good

I like the Circe idea.

hmmmm

As badly as I want to come up with a good story that could re-tool the Injustice mess...I'd probably just do the "Rucka" and nuke it.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

I think that Injustice is mostly a terrible idea that can't be fixed. Any improvements amount to polishing a turd.

The most broken part about IJ is that Superman's turned into Hitler, WW turned into the devil, and Batman... stays pretty much the same principled and heroic guy. And for some reason, Harley's an accepted hero despite being complicit in the nuclear holocaust of Metropolis. So let's break two characters, distort another, and keep the cash cow the same. How is that good unless you only care about Batman? Under this formula, two characters are morally compromised and one can't be. IMO, that's too much for S and W fans to concede.

I feel as though if WW fans were to buy into Injustice, at the very least you have to break all three of S, W, and B. Either that, or make all of them be equally correct and equally wrong on some conflicting issue, with either two or three factions emerging. Another thing about IJ that kills me is that it goes back and forth saying Superman's been broken because of these horrible events (so Batman's clearly right and Superman is wrong), but then trying to insinuate that Superman has a point where Batman is wrong (which nobody reading really believes... Superman's argument boils down to in order to prevent one extra crime or tragedy he gets to stifle humanity's liberty on his discretion, or something extreme like that).

I like the above Circe example on how to break Wonder Woman. I'd probably even do something more extreme and point out that this WW never had as wholesome of an upbringing, like someone such as Red Son Superman. In fact, I'd say S, B, and W in IJ should all be non-trivial variants of their common counterparts. But under no circumstance do I accept that an otherwise "normal" Superman and Wonder Woman would become such monsters while Batman gets to remain uncompromised and there's no accountability for Harley Quinn.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Give her to Marvel. That should fix things

When in doubt, blame it on Circe.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I like the Circe idea.

hmmmm

As badly as I want to come up with a good story that could re-tool the Injustice mess...I'd probably just do the "Rucka" and nuke it.

I don't think even a nuke is cleaning that one up lol

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Just kill her. It shouldn't be difficult. She is weak as hell in injustice.

I mean, do you want it to be a story where she is corrupted into becoming a villain or do you want it to be one where she was evil all along?

For Option #1: The US or someone within the government like Wade Eiling nukes Themsycira on the basis of them being a security risk, Diana is enraged and attacks the White House but is convinced by the League not to take it out on the populance. Diana leaves to spread her message of the Amazons elsewhere on the globe and starts training both men and women on the ways of the Amazons. At first it seems like she is just preserving the Amazons way, only we later learn that she is still plotting against Man's World and is also being subtly influenced by Ares into following his way.

For Option #2: I can't think of anything better than just going with the myths where Ares is Hippolyta's father, the Amazons are all his daughters and Ares was the one who brought the clay to life with his power and sent Diana in as his agent, posing as a hero but in reality is trying to undermine the superhero community and the globe from within.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, do you want it to be a story where she is corrupted into becoming a villain or do you want it to be one where she was evil all along?

For Option #1: The US or someone within the government like Wade Eiling nukes Themsycira on the basis of them being a security risk, Diana is enraged and attacks the White House but is convinced by the League not to take it out on the populance. Diana leaves to spread her message of the Amazons elsewhere on the globe and starts training both men and women on the ways of the Amazons. At first it seems like she is just preserving the Amazons way, only we later learn that she is still plotting against Man's World and is also being subtly influenced by Ares into following his way.

For Option #2: I can't think of anything better than just going with the myths where Ares is Hippolyta's father, the Amazons are all his daughters and Ares was the one who brought the clay to life with his power and sent Diana in as his agent, posing as a hero but in reality is trying to undermine the superhero community and the globe from within.
    Option 2 sounds like a really fun elseworld tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Option 2 sounds like a really fun elseworld tbh.
    The Lasso of Truth is actually the Lasso of Bloodlust and Conflict and that's how she pushes Superman into becoming an evil dictator.

Honestly, I think this is what Earth 3 WW should have been.