Default Will a "Harleen Quinzel" thriller movie work?

I mean, Harley Quinn's origin story was quite similar in all the media, and it always amazes me because it has so much potential.

But most of the time it wasn't expanded. I wonder it could be used as the source material to make a drama thriller movie just like the 2019 Joker, whether it could be standalone or a spinoff of the Joker movie. Show the character's life and the whole process of her transformation, it would be quite amazing to observe.

The 2019 Joker movie featured Arthur as a sympathetic character in some degrees and used him to reflect Gotham's problem. I think it could work if Harleen fall in love with such a figure.

And Margot Robbie as a very good actress, certainly has the ability to deliver a great performance.

Extraordinary Member

Doubtful. Most ppl don't know who Harleen Quinzel is and will most likely be confused. Ppl were willing to take an expanded view of the Joker because the character has been out so long. 30yrs or so of movies more in cartoons,tv. And honestly that movie would have been trash if it wasn't for Phoenix.

A thriller movie won't suit the character. She is meant to serve as a comic relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    A thriller movie won't suit the character. She is meant to serve as a comic relief.
    Her origin was actually quite twisted.

I don't think her character should be limited as a comic relief

It could work. The recent Black Label Harleen mini-series shows that it could work. My god but that was a great update on her already classic origin. Personally it's the #1 book of the past few years or so I most want to see adapted.

After the success of "Joker", I could see it working.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It could work. The recent Black Label Harleen mini-series shows that it could work. My god but that was a great update on her already classic origin. Personally it's the #1 book of the past few years or so I most want to see adapted.
    Finished it.

I think it did touch Gotham well, but Harleen's own personality was not fully expanded, she was more like an "ordinary person with some flaws" who got twisted by the entire city. But her own demon wasn't shown well enough. Same for the Joker, it's a bit whitewashing even though he was manipulating her.

Also Batman's no kill code was always garbage. It somehow hurts the plot a bit. I actually agree with Two-Face and those ppl's idea. You shouldn't be merciful to those villains.

I never understand why did these writers try so hard to justify the no kill code and keep sending villains to a place where they could keep getting out. Even demonize those who disagree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Finished it.

I think it did touch Gotham well, but Harleen's own personality was not fully expanded, she was more like an "ordinary person with some flaws" who got twisted by the entire city. But her own demon wasn't shown well enough. Same for the Joker, it's a bit whitewashing even though he was manipulating her.

Also Batman's no kill code was always garbage. It somehow hurts the plot a bit. I actually agree with Two-Face and those ppl's idea. You shouldn't be merciful to those villains.

I never understand why did these writers try so hard to justify the no kill code and keep sending villains to a place where they could keep getting out. Even demonize those who disagree with it.
    I'm not going to get into the Batman no kill code thing, but as for Harleen's personality, I think not showing her demons is kind of the point - sure she made some mistakes in her past (sleeping with her professor) and had her faults, but she was largely demon free. That's Gotham, that's Joker, that's what they do, normal people get twisted up into monsters. Or something like that. But then that's more philosophizing than I like to do with my comics - it was just a really well done Harley Quinn origin.

I'm not going to get into the Batman no kill code thing, but as for Harleen's personality, I think not showing her demons is kind of the point - sure she made some mistakes in her past (sleeping with her professor) and had her faults, but she was largely demon free. That's Gotham, that's Joker, that's what they do, normal people get twisted up into monsters. Or something like that. But then that's more philosophizing than I like to do with my comics - it was just a really well done Harley Quinn origin.

It was good read but I don't think would fit well as a live action movie's plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    It was good read but I don't think would fit well as a live action movie's plot.
    Of course not, I think few comic stories would (there's not really a completely faithful to one comic story in the movies). But elements of it could be used.
    Personally though I'd rather it be adapted into one of those animated movies, I love those.

Of course not, I think few comic stories would (there's not really a completely faithful to one comic story in the movies). But elements of it could be used.
    Personally though I'd rather it be adapted into one of those animated movies, I love those.
    Yeah, some elements could be adapted.

But I still want to see a well done live action movie for Harleen, she indeed got such potential rather than just as Harley Quinn.

Astonishing Member

A movie like this could cost maybe 50M? Even less. Wouldn't need much to make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    A movie like this could cost maybe 50M? Even less. Wouldn't need much to make a profit.
    Yeah it just needs good script and acting.

I don't dislike Harley's character, she's fun. But her past is more interesting to me so the idea came to me.