Page 56 of 598 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156556 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    B) Green Arrow and Batman and other nonpowered heroes have been holding their own alongside Superman and other Justice League members for decades in the comics. Yes, it requires a certain suspension of disbelief to accept a man with a bow and arrow is relevant in a world with superhumans, but considering all of this requires significant suspension of disbelief to begin with, its all about the execution.
    Yes but look at how much PIS or just sheer absurdity they constantly have to introduce in order for non powered folks like Green Arrow to hold their own alongside superheroes. This kind of PIS and absurdity gets magnified on TV and the movies. Look at how irrelevant Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow were during the Avengers movie. When you keep things street level for these types of heroes, like was done in Captain America Winter Soldier where both Cap and Widow really got to shine, they work but put them up with powers and they become pointless.

Arrow will have to start to rely more and more on McGuffins (a super tech device that negates powers like the shot that negated Deathstrokes superstrength / healing last season), PIS (having the villain do something stupid), or just outright Deus Ex Machina's.

Ahhh! Here was I all down, and not sure, about Arrow, and then THIS news comes along, and these mysterious plans for the Science Divisions intrigue me.

Am excited, and glad he can put, to my knowledge, a third comic book adap to his name, and a second superhero at that. Good for him.

And, from Superman to Atom - sure, that can come across as a bit of a step down, and I won't say it's a step up, or down, but I do hope he does good by the role and the show.

And that people can be happier with his Atom than John Kassir in the failed 1997 TV pilot.

But, long as the work is enjoyed, worked hard on, and some good degree of quality, the medium shouldn't impact on it, even if availability does at times.

Who knows, fingers crossed, could be future appearances, stuff in The Flash, perhaps, or a spin off of his own...

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I'm not sure why people think playing Superman is some guarantee to A-list roles or leading man roles.

Routh was a jobbing TV actor before Superman Returns and he has mostly been a jobbing TV actor post-Superman returns. There are a lot better and more successful actors than Brandon Routh who have gone from leading men or women in films to supporting roles on television. I don't thinking there is any shame for Routh taking this role.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Yes but look at how much PIS or just sheer absurdity they constantly have to introduce in order for non powered folks like Green Arrow to hold their own alongside superheroes. This kind of PIS and absurdity gets magnified on TV and the movies. Look at how irrelevant Captain America, Hawkeye, and Black Widow were during the Avengers movie. When you keep things street level for these types of heroes, like was done in Captain America Winter Soldier where both Cap and Widow really got to shine, they work but put them up with powers and they become pointless.

Arrow will have to start to rely more and more on McGuffins (a super tech device that negates powers like the shot that negated Deathstrokes superstrength / healing last season), PIS (having the villain do something stupid), or just outright Deus Ex Machina's.
    So basically, as I just said, its all about the execution.

Honestly, if you weren't happy with the resolution to Deathstroke, you're probably better off checking out now. Myself, I don't consider the shot that negated Deathstroke's strength and healing any different than the Mirakuru that empowered him in the first place. If you accept the drug gave him powers, its completely logical that another drug can counter their effects. And I don't consider it PIS or a Deus Ex Machina because it didn't come out of nowhere, the entire goal of multiple episodes leading up to the finale was coming up with a drug that countered the Mirakuru's effects and figuring out a way to administer it. Even at the end, it wasn't as simple as just shooting Deathstroke, given his skills, they had to trick him with that subterfuge with Felicity. If more of that is what we can expect, moving forward, then I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Whilst I'd agree that appearing on Arrow isn't the highpoint of anyone's career (well, maybe Amell's), a job's a job, ain't it?

Besides, having a decent, charismatic actor on the show is always a welcome bonus, particularly with the likely absence of Bennett for a while. Barrowman and Ramsey can only do so much between them to compensate for Amell and Hayne's non-performances.
    I just meant the whole from Superman to Atom, that can't be ideal. He was great in Table for Three. Probably his best film thus far.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

I wonder if they're pushing Atom so they can get a size-changer in before Marvel.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I wonder if they're pushing Atom so they can get a size-changer in before Marvel.
    I really doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I kinda thought the same thing. They should ask Write to come direct the episode.

BANNED

I really dont think its that sort of minutae running things, oh man gotta get a size changer in there, lets beat Marvel at something

Ray Palmer can be a really interesting character and Routh can hold his own in a role like that IMO

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Routh is a fantastic actor that was sadley saddled with a bad script. His work in Scott Pilgrim was fantastic. I also loved his role as the gay boyfriend in that one sitcom two seasons ago. Partners? I was really hoping to see him as Bizarro in an up coming superman movie. I wonder if he will be interacting with jean lauring?
    He was pretty good on Chuck too

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    He was pretty good on Chuck too
    He was good when he was playing a psycho. The Agent Shaw role frustrating. Btw this isn't some two episode guest spot like Gustin had this is fourteen episodes which is over half the season.

I hope Arrow doesn't become too bogged down with guest stars. Becomes annoying when a show becomes all about introducing characters for a shared universe.

Incredible Member

I wonder what the odds are that Routh will not really be playing the Atom at all but just a non-meta Ray Palmer. The article did say "Ray Palmer/The Atom" but it could be just an assumption. Other characters including Felicity have been created just to use names from the comics without making them their actual comic selves so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If he is the Atom though, and if the show continues to include other meta powers, I don't think it necessarily begins to make Oliver look silly standing next to them as long as he is up to the challenge and continues to improve his game. The point of Green Arrow is that he is the greatest archer on the planet, bar none, with such skill with a bow and arrow that he seems superhuman, and already in Season 1 Amell was doing things like pinning people to the wall by their lapells while doing a backflip. More of that, while continuing to add more and better Batman-like gadgets to his arsenal, should keep things interesting. I loved that the final move that beat Deathstroke was with a trick arrow in classic comic book style.

Ultimate Member

I seriously doubt that:

Palmer’s plans for Queen Consolidated’s Applied Sciences Division will be shrouded in mystery

That part of the article just screams "he's the Atom" to me. Besides, they've already done Black Canary and they're currently doing Flash. I don't see how The Atom is somehow less likely that them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

That's sounds really boring. If they do the same thing over and over, it gets old after awhile. Part of the fun of team-ups is:

1. Seeing these characters deal with different situations/threats than they normally do.
    2. Seeing all of these radically different characters with wildly different backgrounds, skill-sets, ideologies, etc all interacting/playing off of each other.

That's part of the fun of superhero comics. What you're suggesting reeks of a lack of creativity/imagination. Oh and the Deathstroke thing wasn't a MacGuffin nor was it a PIS. It was something that was introduced and built up over multiple episodes and it's purpose was made perfectly clear from the beginning. It didn't just come out of nowhere.