Page 83 of 598 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183583 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 8959

Thread: Arrow

What I don't understand is how Laurel was able to hold her own against multiple assailants in previous episodes but now she gets her butt kicked against one while wielding a weapon.

I remember someone here on this forum last season wished that there would be some real-life backlash between Katie Cassidy and the other actors so she would get fired/dismissed from the show. All because a fictional character played by that actress isn't sitting well within the narrative for that specific person.

People are nuts.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    If Oliver hadn't taken out the bullets, do you think he would've blocked the shot, or tried to disarm her, maybe something like that? Not sure if it would've worked, but just wondering your thoughts.

Yes, you are right there. It's not always what is done, it's what would have been done, had this factor allowed it.
    Do I think that he would have tried to stop her, probably. The fact that he removed the bullets at all showed that he didn't fully trust her. It reminds me somewhat of Spider-Man 3. Peter Parker essentially murdered two people in that movie (Sandman and Harry) and the only reason why he didn't actually become a murderer is because they both managed to survive. Basically, he got REALLY lucky, because he fully intended to kill them. Laurel is the same way, she deliberately pulled that trigger fully intended to kill Komodo, and just got lucky that Oliver had had some foresight. But the outcome doesn't change the intent, and in both case the intent was to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Something I forgot to mention about this week's episode was the appearance of "Gerry Conway." Rather than a loving nod to him, I almost thought this was a slap at the comics creator and TV producer--as he appears as Felicity's flunky.
    THE Gerry Conway? Writer of The Night Gwen Stacy Died?

Flunky? What exactly was he doing for Felicity?

And, I hope I'm not alone, seem not to be, in being excited, or intrigued, by the stuff Ray's looking at, like missiles and stuff, at the end.

I've only come across the OMAC Project in this Infinite Crisis thing, Brave New World, with Atom, Martian Manhunter, Creeper, OMAC etc.

But, glad to see people here are picking up something I wouldn't have and theorizing about it.

I'm just jazzed to see Ted Grant slipped in, and in a mentor role no less. Hellya
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Am I the only one here who likes Laurel. I like the crises and struggles she has been going through since the beginning of Season 2 and the fact that she is pretty nuts at the moment. That's character development and a natural consequence of the interpersonal drama which is the meat and potatoes of this show.

I have never read any source material and I don't care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by normanosborn View Post
    Am I the only one here who likes Laurel. I like the crises and struggles she has been going through since the beginning of Season 2 and the fact that she is pretty nuts at the moment. That's character development and a natural consequence of the interpersonal drama which is the meat and potatoes of this show.

I have never read any source material and I don't care about that.
    Good for you, norman. And, I take it that's the panel where Norman first reveals, pre-any Brand New Day alterations, his secret identity to Peter Parker, in clothes, Spider-Man costume. Good choice.

Few Goblin stories more iconic, or important, though there are some that stand alongside it.

Yeah, ASM 39.

I take it the issue is that Laurel's character arc is heavily different in this show then? How much of a difference is there?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    THE Gerry Conway? Writer of The Night Gwen Stacy Died?

Flunky? What exactly was he doing for Felicity?

And, I hope I'm not alone, seem not to be, in being excited, or intrigued, by the stuff Ray's looking at, like missiles and stuff, at the end.

I've only come across the OMAC Project in this Infinite Crisis thing, Brave New World, with Atom, Martian Manhunter, Creeper, OMAC etc.

But, glad to see people here are picking up something I wouldn't have and theorizing about it.
    It's about 13 minutes in, when Felicity gets her new office. "Gerry Conway" is her assistant and he's sent out to get her a latte.

Of course, the real Gerry Conway didn't play the fictitious Gerry Conway--but I'm sure the name was intentional. To DC readers, Gerry Conway should be better known for co-creating Firestorm, writing many Justice League stories, writing a sequence of stories about Ray Palmer (mostly in SUPER-TEAM FAMILY), co-creating Killer Croc and other characters in his long Batman run, and writing many Green Arrow and Black Canary stories (in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS). To TV viewers, he should be known as a screen writer/producer for many television shows including: DIAGNOSIS MURDER, HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.

Conway was also a writer on KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH. And Kamandi was the grandson of Buddy Blank--aka OMAC. I know a lot of people think of OMAC in relation to the modern day DC books--but to me OMAC is Buddy Blank and all the ideas that Jack Kirby created for that book.

Retired

Black Canary's history is very confusing and it's hard to tell which version of Black Canary influences the TV show. I know at one point Ted Grant was retconned into training Dinah to be Black Canary--I can't remember if that was the original Black Canary or her daughter. Of course, now most of that continuity wouldn't work in today's DC books--so it was probably retconned out again.

Didn't Dinah also go in the Lazarus Pit for a youth treatment? I think that happened in BIRDS OF PREY. If so, then that would set a precedent for the Lazarus Pit vis a vis Black Canary.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It's about 13 minutes in, when Felicity gets her new office. "Gerry Conway" is her assistant and he's sent out to get her a latte.

Of course, the real Gerry Conway didn't play the fictitious Gerry Conway--but I'm sure the name was intentional. To DC readers, Gerry Conway should be better known for co-creating Firestorm, writing many Justice League stories, writing a sequence of stories about Ray Palmer (mostly in SUPER-TEAM FAMILY), co-creating Killer Croc and other characters in his long Batman run, and writing many Green Arrow and Black Canary stories (in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS). To TV viewers, he should be known as a screen writer/producer for many television shows including: DIAGNOSIS MURDER, HERCULES: THE LEGENDARY JOURNEYS and LAW & ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.

Conway was also a writer on KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH. And Kamandi was the grandson of Buddy Blank--aka OMAC. I know a lot of people think of OMAC in relation to the modern day DC books--but to me OMAC is Buddy Blank and all the ideas that Jack Kirby created for that book.
    Gerry was a fine and important DC writer, no doubt, but I have to admit reading him first when Gwen Stacy's clone by Professor Miles Warren first showed up on Peter Parker's doorstep almost 40 years ago.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

I picked up a few of those comics back in the day, so I'm sure I encountered Conway first in one of those Marvel comics (actually I encountered him first as a fictitious character visiting Rutland, Vermont, I think). I didn't buy that many SPIDER-MAN comics, but I kick myself because the issues I have turn out to be the issues before or after these significant events--I don't have the first Punisher appearance but I have the second and I don't have the Gwen Stacy death comic but I think I have the issue before it. And because I didn't read and re-read my Marvels like I did my DCs, those comics tend to be in better condition because I never went back to them. So it's my bad luck that I don't have those key issues that would be worth a fair bit now.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

First episode in like EVER that I have simpathy for Laurel. She looks more pretty also. Shame Mark Shaw didn't rock the Privateer mustache and was such puny agent. He shouldn't have been taken down so easily by Diggle. With all due respect for Diggle who is just so smooth all the time
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.

As much as my heart was warmed at the thought of Diggle naming his daughter Sara...why didn't she have a name before? It's also going to be heartwarming to see Nyssa so shaken up about Sara's death. I'm guessing she's not the murderer. And heartbreaking when Lance eventually finds out.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Nice. I squeed like a little girl and clapped my hands like a dolphin at sea world when they revealed thea's name change
    I enjoyed that too. I'm wondering if she's now Mia Merlyn and if she ever turns good and joins Ollie's crusade...but wants to stay distanced from the Queen name...would she call herself Mia Dearden? That is one of her middle names, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Only gripe is that I wish they would've gone a little older with Ted Grant.
    I was thinking that too, but he could be the son of a previous Ted Grant or something who is a legendary boxer. They also name dropped Tommy Bronson, Ted's son from the comics, and I kind of doubt that's his son here too.

Of course, the real Gerry Conway didn't play the fictitious Gerry Conway--but I'm sure the name was intentional. To DC readers, Gerry Conway should be better known for co-creating Firestorm, writing many Justice League stories, writing a sequence of stories about Ray Palmer (mostly in SUPER-TEAM FAMILY), co-creating Killer Croc and other characters in his long Batman run, and writing many Green Arrow and Black Canary stories (in WORLD'S FINEST COMICS).
    Yes, and in writing Firestorm, he created the character Felicity Smoak.

Retired

I was surprised that Ted Grant was so young and Mark Shaw was so old. You would think it would be the other way around.

Of course, there was a time when Ted Grant was young. For most of the 1940s, he was young--that was the same decade when Oliver Queen and Dinah Drake were young. So there's no reason why he has to be old in this universe.

There never was a Justice Society--so far as we know--on the TV show. I was kind of hoping that it would turn out that Robert and Moira Queen, Quentin and Dinah Lance, Malcolm and What's her name Merlyn were all menbers of a secret crime-fighting club in their younger days--but I guess that ain't gonna happen.