Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Flash Franchise: The Most damaged Franchise in the 2010's

In the 90's, Flash franchise have grown over the decades from building the roles of Jay Garrick and Max Mercury. The introduction of Bart Allen and finally established the creation of speed force. But the 2010's, DC has undo all the history and legacy of Flash by giving everything for Barry Allen ever since the Flashpoint. Then at DC Rebirth, DC has bought back Wally to the mainstream DC universe. However, he was sidelined as a result of the editor mandate. Now, here we are. Wally West has been established back as the main Flash. Despite have a strong and good reviews of his latest run, the sales prove otherwise which was worrisome because we don't want another Flash book get cancelled due to poor sales.

Because of this, it just show a huge scar of the Flash franchise. What do you think you can fix those broken.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Not just the Flash franchise unfortunately.
    You could argue that The Titans were screwed just as hard, if not harder.
    Not to mention the Legion of Superheroes and Justice Society!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    In the 90's, Flash franchise have grown over the decades from building the roles of Jay Garrick and Max Mercury. The introduction of Bart Allen and finally established the creation of speed force. But the 2010's, DC has undo all the history and legacy of Flash by giving everything for Barry Allen ever since the Flashpoint. Then at DC Rebirth, DC has bought back Wally to the mainstream DC universe. However, he was sidelined as a result of the editor mandate. Now, here we are. Wally West has been established back as the main Flash. Despite have a strong and good reviews of his latest run, the sales prove otherwise which was worrisome because we don't want another Flash book get cancelled due to poor sales.

Because of this, it just show a huge scar of the Flash franchise. What do you think you can fix those broken.
    You don't think the Green Lantern franchise was hit worse than the Flash?

I like Barry as Flash, so my real complaint was the last part of "The Button" cross-over with Batman where they made it seem like Jay would finally return, but that only lasted for a few panels.

Astonishing Member

GL is nowhere close to The Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    GL is nowhere close to The Flash.
    Thing is, I don't see the Flash franchise as "damaged" unless you were a fervent Wally fan.

"Fractured" is probably a more useful term, especially as time goes on and any newer Flash-followers have no problems accepting Barry as "The Flash".

Astonishing Member

Yeah Barry was the sales and top draw of the last decade.

Astonishing Member

In the comics, maybe.

But the Flash franchise as such thrived in the 2010's, thanks to the TV show, as well as Flash's debut on the big-screen.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Yeah Barry was the sales and top draw of the last decade.
    He was the only Flash character being published for half of the 2010's so yeah...he would have to be the top draw. He was gone for 22 years prior to that...so Barry is far from the be all end all of Flash comics.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thing is, I don't see the Flash franchise as "damaged" unless you were a fervent Wally fan.

"Fractured" is probably a more useful term, especially as time goes on and any newer Flash-followers have no problems accepting Barry as "The Flash".
    I don't think that's entirely true. Prior to the New 52 we could read about Wally, Bart, Jay, Max, Jesse and many other characters. We lost more than Wally.

Amazing Member

Post-Infinite Crisis 2000's felt more tumultuous to me. Passing the mantle back and forth. Aging, killing, retiring, un-retiring, resurrecting. I don't think any of the writers lasted more than a year.

I've gotta be REEEAAALLLY careful here, as I am a rabid Wally West fan, but a fan of the Flash, period.
    The Flash franchise wasn't 'fractured'.
    It was atom bombed.
    From the moment DC decided to bring Barry back the franchise has been a cluster***k.
    Firstly, they cancelled the Wally West book.
    Then they weren't ready to bring Barry back yet, so they decided to age up Impulse, gave the book to De Meo and Bilson and called it The Flash.
    When that quickly became a dumpster fire, they had the Rogues BEAT BART ALLEN TO DEATH.
    DC now completely bereft of ideas on what to do, approached Mark Waid and asked him to bring back Wally.
    Against his better judgement, he agreed, with the results pretty average to say the least.
    Then when Barry FINALLY comes back, we're told not to worry - a Flash Family title will be coming to highlight all our speedsters.
    NOPE! DC then decide Highlander was a great movie and decided 'THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE'.
    The Flash title is relaunched and there is very little mention of Wally. Let alone Jay, Joan, Max, Bart (yes he's back - long story), Jesse, Iris, Jai etc.
    All the work that went into creating an interesting and complex supporting cast over the previous 20 YEARS was thrown away.
    Then the book was relaunched again. This time - Barry reads even less like the Barry readers know and is a complete novice. His mum is dead. His father in jail and he mopes around for the next 5 years.
    Oh, Wally doesn't exist, his power sets & much of his lore is grafted onto Barry showing that DC had NO intention of ever bringing Wally West back.
    No wait!! Wally was just hiding for the past decade, HONEST! Here, he's back. But he's not the Flash. He's Kid Flash. Never mind he's by this point a 25 year old man with a family.
    Actually, no Wally is a murderer.
    No he's not. He's Kid Flash Manhattan.

This sound just fractured to anyone??? DC absolutely screwed the Flash and the readers of the book prior to Flash Rebirth.

Is there any franchise that doesn't feel screwed up at this point? Even the best sellers like Superman and Batman feels screwed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You don't think the Green Lantern franchise was hit worse than the Flash?
    (
    In what terms are we talking? If we're talking purely in fall from stature (compared to the build-up to 2011 when it seemed like Green Lantern was a serious contender to be DC's next major franchise), perhaps, but I don't think the actual franchise itself became merely as much of a mess as the Flash did.

Incredible Member

Narrator: “Everything was definitely not going to be great”

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Narrator: “Everything was definitely not going to be great”

All the stuff they chose to throw away.
    Barry doesn't know his gransdon.
    We haven't seen him interact with Jay AT ALL.
    How would Barry & Max get along?
    There was SO much to explore with his return to the DCU and DC chose to ignore it all and go the Barry is the one & only route.