Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bob Quinn in Way of X was an artist I was excited about. The art was beatiful, expressive and one point that really stuck out for me: the hair. He did draw great hair. A marker of pretty much all artists that i like who draw good characters is that they are great at drawing hair. Even if their styles might vary.

The hair here is very generic. I might even say it feels rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    Ok I'm really liking the art. Cable looks Great.

Maybe I'm seeing it through rose colored glasses because I'm SO Pumped he's back. But I think the art really fits him.
    Yeah, I’m in the same boat I think. The art looks good to me, but probably just because I’m so excited about this book. If I think about it being drawn by Cassara or Schiti or someone like that, though… well, yeah, it comes up short. My dream would be to have it drawn by Jerome Opena. Could you imagine?

But, hey, I’ll take what I can get here and be thankful for it.

Incredible Member

The art is awful, is this a mini or a one shot?

Just a one-shot. To re-establish OG Cable in the Reign of X era and insert him into The Last Annihilation event being written by Ewing. I’m assuming that after this he continues appearing in SWORD, as that’s where Kid Cable was appearing outside of his solo, but we’ll see.

I will say, for a one-shot bringing a name X-character back, I would’ve gone and grabbed someone big as the artist. Not sure why they didn’t honestly. Since it’s only one issue, go all out! Think about if they’d put Olivier Coipel, Dave Finch, Steve McNiven or Jerome Opena on this bad boy! Gangbusters.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. I’m thankful to be getting this comic. Just not sure why Marvel doesn’t go all out on one-shots with big name artists who are too slow to draw a monthly series. It’s pretty much the perfect vehicle for them IMO.

I wonder how much it would cost to approach an artist like that and have them redraw an entire issue, and then pay a colorist to color it? In essence, get my own custom version of this book made with an A-list artist. Is that something you can even have done? If so, I wonder what it would cost. Hmm…

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I really like the art. I don't know much about Cable so can someone tell me why he carries a gun? Isn't he a powerful telepath/telekinetic already? Is it to compensate for the TO virus if he still has that?
    It’s to compensate fore SOME THiNG, but it ain’t the TO virus
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

The art leaves a lot to be desired. Which is unfortunate because without a good artist who has stylistic abilities rather than general run of the mill abilities....I don't see it lasting too long. They need to bring in experimental artist on their off shoots to give it a flavor. Rather than put a milk toast artist on something no one is going to care about unless the story telling and the artwork are synchronized and ready to get the job done.

Love Ewing, but this is probably gonna be a pass for me. I’m not huge on Bob Quinn’s Way of X art in the first place, and I can tell he’s intentionally channeling the 90s here... which is not my jam. Plus, old man cable is a hard sell for me.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    The art leaves a lot to be desired. Which is unfortunate because without a good artist who has stylistic abilities rather than general run of the mill abilities....I don't see it lasting too long. They need to bring in experimental artist on their off shoots to give it a flavor. Rather than put a milk toast artist on something no one is going to care about unless the story telling and the artwork are synchronized and ready to get the job done.
    It’s a one-shot, so won’t last at all. Having said that, I agree that when you’ve got a one-shot why not give it one of these incredible-yet-slow artists who can’t do monthlies? Seems like the perfect vehicle for them, rather than throwing them on the first 1.5 issues of whatever new high-profile series Marvel is launching with A-lister characters that’s going to sell regardless. Instead take artists like that (Coipel, McNiven, Opena, etc.) and put them on a one-shot like this to drive more interest and sales. Just a thought. Again, I’m stoked to have OG back regardless and will definitely buy this issue both digitally and physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    It’s a one-shot, so won’t last at all. Having said that, I agree that when you’ve got a one-shot why not give it one of these incredible-yet-slow artists who can’t do monthlies? Seems like the perfect vehicle for them, rather than throwing them on the first 1.5 issues of whatever new high-profile series Marvel is launching with A-lister characters that’s going to sell regardless. Instead take artists like that (Coipel, McNiven, Opena, etc.) and put them on a one-shot like this to drive more interest and sales. Just a thought. Again, I’m stoked to have OG back regardless and will definitely buy this issue both digitally and physically.
    its this out today. I got the guardians annual but didn't see this.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

No. Not until August 25th unfortunately.

The preview art was an advance look AIPT exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    No. Not until August 25th unfortunately.

The preview art was an advance look AIPT exclusive.
    Thanks for the response. Appreciate it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I think this book fails instantly in the Krakoan era because why would cable be resurrected 1. old when he can be in his prime. 2. with the to virus?

Who says he’s not in his prime? While the kids call him “old man”, they did the same back when he first debuted and he was said to be around 40. To a teenager, anyone over about 30 seems like an old man. So it’s possible his body is in its prime. Cable’s hair went gray/white at a pretty young age. It was only brown (with a white steak) until about his 20s.

As for why he retained the T-O virus, see Cable #12. It’s explained.