Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Suicide Squad: Get Joker! #1 Preview

Suicide Squad: Get Joker! #1 Preview
    Writer: Brian Azzarello
    Artist: Alex Maleev

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The title reminds me of Wolverine: Get Mystique, only a whole lot less sexy

Well, I'm liking what I'm seeing here so far.

Well, not an inaccurate depiction of Jason's history. Alfred is "mom" .

So did Jason get himself arrested? Like, I have a hard time seeing normal police officers taking him out unless he planned for it. I'm kind of getting the vibes of the DoTF ending where he ends up in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, not an inaccurate depiction of Jason's history. Alfred is "mom" .

So did Jason get himself arrested? Like, I have a hard time seeing normal police officers taking him out unless he planned for it. I'm kind of getting the vibes of the DoTF ending where he ends up in prison.
    I think that he left himself be taken. He was surrounded in that underground station. Alternatives were run away fighting the police, which isn't very good, or shoot them, which is even worse. I mean: they're policemen, doing their work. Not criminals or corrupted ones. Even if those cops aren't good people (which is something I think he implies).

And then he just waits in jail to walk away after recovering, I guess. But that's when Waller enters scene.

I guess.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I just read it.

As expected from the preview, this is a version where Jason is completely cut off from the Batfamily, whether he and Bruce could never talk things out or it is Jason's own choice is not clear. The Three Jokers' costume is given to him by Waller since Jason's pick for a costume is the Rebirth one, I'm sure that Azzarello is making an observation about the fact the costume is just a Robin suit but is too early to tell. Putting aside the thing with Bruce, Azzarello really gets Jason, no more BS about wondering what is wrong or if there is a line to be crossed, Jason is fully convinced he's doing the right and he will do whatever is needed to ensure innocent are protected. He's also skilled, smart, and proactive, he questions Waller at every point and asserts his authority with the rest of the squad. Again, a welcome change from the way Jason has been handled since RHATO ended.

Really looking forward to the next issues.

Ultimate Member

I'm disappointed.

Joker's his usual, all knowing, chaos God self.

Also and this is a pointless nitpick, but why do writers keep bringing back Plastique to the Squad? Yes, she was on the cover of the first issue but she betrayed them the second issue! Why is there no love for Mindboggler? :P

Wasn't planning to pick it up, but decided what the hell and I actually liked it. I liked the twist at the end and whole Wild Dog thing was overblown.

Would have been better if Harley wasn't in this, but I get they have to include her for marketing as she is the face of the Suicide Squad.

This book does feel like something DC is going to do a lot more of, or they have already started it I guess. They take fairly well known story ideas (Suicide Squad/Joker/Jason Todd) and then repackage it as a Black Label book, put a well known creative team on it, and then tell a story that feels half in and half out of the main continuity. Three Jokers was like this too. This just feels like something DC is going to do a lot more of going forward, especially with Batman properties. I'm really interested to see how well this sells because it feels like something DC can do over and over with interchanging different Batman characters and I feel like they will all sell pretty well.
    Last edited by Badou; 08-03-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Three Jokers sucked tho

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Three Jokers sucked tho
    I meant you take these well known ideas and put a slight twist on them and repackage them as Black Label books. So here is Jason being part of the Suicide Squad going after the Joker. Three things even casual fans are aware of I think and they put them together. This was done fairly well I though, but it feels like such a reusable formula for the Black Label books to use and it also doesn't feel that far removed from the main line DCU stuff unlike something like a White Knight series or that Taylor zombie series where they obviously operate in their own universe.

Interesting. I will read it

Quoting myself from our Jason thread:
    I liked the writing and the art a lot. Even when the writing was sometimes hard to follow because of disconnected dialogue with Wild Dog, Yonder and, sometimes, Pebbles; but I also blame the not very good lettering work. Not the finest placement for ballons and tails too many times for my liking. But as I said, I liked Jason's voice a lot. He felt right, how other interacted with him and I also liked how he behaved. He felt a lot like a bystander, and outsider witnessing who gets involved with Waller and the squad by chance, to be honest. Harley, too; she was dumb, and a smart*ss; but likeable. And I liked that there seems to be a lot more running behind the apparent story. I think this is going to be one of the good ones foe Azzarello. A bit too slow paced, but still, a good read.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-03-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Thought that this was a perfectly solid addition to the "Black Label..." line.

Certainly has the potential to get interesting.

Didn't really see the sideline player coming.

This surprisingly wasn’t crap and I enjoyed it. Lmao at Toyman showing up and Azz continuing to hint at him being a pedo (something he also hinted at in Luthor). Overall though I’m pleasantly surprised at how well everyone was characterized, after Damned and BoP I didn’t think Azz had it in him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/