Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

So, the really interesting bit...

Assuming Jason is correct about their being an inside man(which the delivery seemed to establish...), who is the inside man?

The teams recent history would seemingly take the heat off of a couple of them, but it's a little hard to tell.

It’s going to be Wild Dog, he’s the Alt right stand in.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Based on Joker and the solicit for issue 3, I'm going to say Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s going to be Wild Dog, he’s the Alt right stand in.
    It would make sense with Russians paying Joker and lots of people associating Alt-Right with Russians.

Incredible Member

Really pretty pictures ruined by writer who thinks he's funny.

Azzarello should keep his politics out of books like this
    This art and concept will get incredibly dated and lose its timeless appeal by hinging on January 6 jokes and Russia influencing America
    Not that I have an issue with how he writes Harley either as this is his 4th or 5th Black Label book that he's done with her in it but can you please pick a line and stick to it.

Jason as the rookie POV character on the Suicide Squad is hilarious the book seems to waffle on whether he is aware of what's going on or is completely green.

Liked it a lot , my only thing was I really expected Jason to have more of a drive to take out Joker. I get that this version of Jason has more or less made peace with who he is, but he should have more of a reaction to getting a government sanctioned opportunity to put Joker in the ground. And he really should’ve prepped the squad more considering he knows how dangerous J is.

As for the spy, it’s gotta be Larry.

Incredible Member

If Azz can reduce some of his "humor", I do like Jason's characterization and how this issue ended and the future potential for a good story here.

Hopefully Azz won't go down the completely predictable route of making Wild Dog an "alt-right" Russian spy. That would be eye-rollingly bad.

Astonishing Member

I read it and it was...okay. A decently enjoyable read to whet one's appetite before the movie (though this has almost nothing in common with Gunn's film!) There are a few interesting ideas and moments here, but as a whole its kinda just...there.

Jason Todd in prison is a concept which I think merits a story-arc of its own somewhere. I like the idea of Jason letting himself get arrested to go to prison for a mission. Frankly, I'd prefer that to the idea here that he was actually captured by ordinary cops, violently interrogated, and actually stood trial, was convicted, and sent to jail. Its actually a bit far-fetched that Jason would even stick around for all that! Then again, its a bit ambiguous as to whether Jason is actually in control of the situation or if he truly is/was in Waller's control...who knows, maybe this is all ''part of the plan''.

The flashbacks and Jason's narration of his backstory were great though...very meta in parts!

I have mixed feelings about the idea of ''the Russians'' paying the Joker to cause chaos. I mean, it is an idea so simple (and fairly realistic) as to be genius! But it seems like a ham-fisted way to ram contemporary politics and conspiracy theories into the story.

The other great example of that of course is making Wild Dog an insurrectionist, which the creators of the character have strongly objected to (and that's putting it mildly!). Ultimately, it seems like a silly attempt to be controversial for...what, exactly? Some stupid pre-mission banter on the chopper? And if, for whatever reason, they had to have an insurrectionist on the mission, why'd they have to turn a character who, while obscure, is very much a hero, into one?

Is it just me or is the Suicide Squad going to a bar/club and getting into a shootout getting really old and formulaic now?

The ending was...interesting...and explains why this needed to be a Black Label book I guess. I felt it was almost a mashup of The Killing Joke and Death in the Family...if you know what I mean. And despite the story being above-average at best, it leaves me wanting to pick up the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I read it and it was...okay. A decently enjoyable read to whet one's appetite before the movie (though this has almost nothing in common with Gunn's film!) There are a few interesting ideas and moments here, but as a whole its kinda just...there.

Jason Todd in prison is a concept which I think merits a story-arc of its own somewhere. I like the idea of Jason letting himself get arrested to go to prison for a mission. Frankly, I'd prefer that to the idea here that he was actually captured by ordinary cops, violently interrogated, and actually stood trial, was convicted, and sent to jail. Its actually a bit far-fetched that Jason would even stick around for all that! Then again, its a bit ambiguous as to whether Jason is actually in control of the situation or if he truly is/was in Waller's control...who knows, maybe this is all ''part of the plan''.

The flashbacks and Jason's narration of his backstory were great though...very meta in parts!

I have mixed feelings about the idea of ''the Russians'' paying the Joker to cause chaos. I mean, it is an idea so simple (and fairly realistic) as to be genius! But it seems like a ham-fisted way to ram contemporary politics and conspiracy theories into the story.

The other great example of that of course is making Wild Dog an insurrectionist, which the creators of the character have strongly objected to (and that's putting it mildly!). Ultimately, it seems like a silly attempt to be controversial for...what, exactly? Some stupid pre-mission banter on the chopper? And if, for whatever reason, they had to have an insurrectionist on the mission, why'd they have to turn a character who, while obscure, is very much a hero, into one?

Is it just me or is the Suicide Squad going to a bar/club and getting into a shootout getting really old and formulaic now?

The ending was...interesting...and explains why this needed to be a Black Label book I guess. I felt it was almost a mashup of The Killing Joke and Death in the Family...if you know what I mean. And despite the story being above-average at best, it leaves me wanting to pick up the next issue.
    Straight talk...

That was the very last thing on my mind when I read that ending.

It's interesting that it was where it felt like a lot of folks first impression was.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Insurrectionists thought that they were doing the right thing.

Incredible Member

Yes, and since superheroes are almost always law-breaking vigilantes anyway, it's not that far-fetched. But I'm talking about superheroes in general. I wouldn't be surprised if it's wildly out of character for Wild Dog. I wouldn't trust Azz over his creators.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Yes, and since superheroes are almost always law-breaking vigilantes anyway, it's not that far-fetched. But I'm talking about superheroes in general. I wouldn't be surprised if it's wildly out of character for Wild Dog. I wouldn't trust Azz over his creators.
    Well, most of the Bats are, at least.

Most superheroes simply stop crimes in progress beyond the ability of law enforcement to easily stop.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    The beautiful thing about being an Elseworld is that Azzarello doesn't need to be beholden to previous characterizations of a character, and in fact, he said that it was precisely why he picked characters that didn't have any prominent roles in the past few years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The beautiful thing about being an Elseworld is that Azzarello doesn't need to be beholden to previous characterizations of a character, and in fact, he said that it was precisely why he picked characters that didn't have any prominent roles in the past few years.
    That's certainly true. But then we shouldn't be necessarily praising the characterization of Jason as being on point, either, or if Azz had messed that up, criticizing him for it.

Moreover, when you change a guy from hero to villain, it's a bit more of a drastic change than the typical mischaracterization that can occur in an Elseworlds.