small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Immortal Hulk #50

Is anyone else disappointed/discouraged/angry that, in order to finish the story (which some of us have read since issue 1) we are being asked to pay $10 for the final issue?
    Bad enough Marvel's going to $5, even $6 for new issues, generally (as is DC, I know, I know,), but this is the kind of situation that's driven me away from Marvel. Especially when the new issue (#50) is being solicited for $10, while at the same time one can order the collected volume, #4, containing not only issue 50 but the four preceding issues (46-49) as well, for $20: that averages to five issues $4 each (including that old $10 issue 50). Makes me wonder why I'd ever buy singles from Marvel ever again. What about you? Disappointed? Discouraged? Angry? Or am I just an old dinosaur, old, curmudgeonly and in the way?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Is anyone else disappointed/discouraged/angry that, in order to finish the story (which some of us have read since issue 1) we are being asked to pay $10 for the final issue?
    Bad enough Marvel's going to $5, even $6 for new issues, generally (as is DC, I know, I know,), but this is the kind of situation that's driven me away from Marvel. Especially when the new issue (#50) is being solicited for $10, while at the same time one can order the collected volume, #4, containing not only issue 50 but the four preceding issues (46-49) as well, for $20: that averages to five issues $4 each (including that old $10 issue 50). Makes me wonder why I'd ever buy singles from Marvel ever again. What about you? Disappointed? Discouraged? Angry? Or am I just an old dinosaur, old, curmudgeonly and in the way?
    I'm disappointed and Angry in general with prices but I read IM from a friend so I didn't pay a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I'm disappointed and Angry in general with prices but I read IM from a friend so I didn't pay a dollar.
    That’s what I call a good friendship.

uh, $10? How many pages? Is it a foil cover or some similar thing? Poster inserts? other supplemental material?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    That’s what I call a good friendship.
    Yeah it's great.
    I share my ASM,DD etc. with them too.

Honestly would have dropped so many comics if not for them

Not really no. It's going to be 80 pages. Both this and a regular issue work out to about 12 cents per page. Trades are always cheaper per issue than reading in singles, which is why I don't read many singles these days. Immortal Hulk has been the best comic run I've read in real time in a long time, maybe in my life.

If the writers feel they need a triple sized issue to complete their story, then so be it. I have not been disappointed yet.

So immortal hulk will have a giant sixe finale like venom. marvel gonna collect big bucks on this.

At least 10 bucks for a finale for a series that you like is worth it, it will 80 pages 4x more than a regular comic

I would have paid 15, no problem. Different covers too.

Also it's just 7 bucks on TFAW pre-order, it's not like you have no other choice but to spend 10 $. I am pretty sure there are other different deals if you don't want to pay full cover price. That's the only one I know about as foreigner (who also pays for international shipping).

7 bucks for 96 page finale (actual comic is shorter like people said before me, but you get the point). Regular 20-25 p issue costs 4-5 bucks and you get 4 times more content for the price of 2 issues? That's a steal for me. This comic worth every cent. But I am a fanboy, don't listen to me.

Also... trades are meant for reading. It's always cheaper and easier to read the series in trades. Single issues for collectors and people who don't want to wait/don't buy trades. When I was short on money, I've always bought trades- you don't have to pay extra for rare issues and hunt them down.
    Last edited by Dinosaur Hulk; 07-31-2021 at 02:50 PM.

As long as it is a good ending.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Fantastic Member

I’m jumping off the Hulk at the end of this. With no Cap ongoing, and The Avengers driving into #750, I’m done with Marvel for a while. I’m only into 4 titles at DC, Action, Detective, Flash and WW. Once Barry and Diana get to #800, done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jely4me View Post
    I’m jumping off the Hulk at the end of this. With no Cap ongoing, and The Avengers driving into #750, I’m done with Marvel for a while. I’m only into 4 titles at DC, Action, Detective, Flash and WW. Once Barry and Diana get to #800, done.
    Similar for me. After this, I'll just be doing The Marvels by Kurt Busiek and the Blue and Gold 8-issue series at DC. Hopefully the latter spins into an ongoing.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Not really no. It's going to be 80 pages
    Exactly. We have the bigger price tag because it is a bigger book. Other books by Marvel and DC this year that have been that size have also had that price tag -- so this isn't a Marvel-specific thing nor is it something specific to this particular issue.

When you look at the regular price tag for a normal sized issue--which is less than half the size of this issue--I don't think $10 is unreasonable.