Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Yeah, mental illness shown as a struggle and a person who wants to be better but can't is a very real and relatable thing if you've ever dealt with it.

Part of the reason I love Slott-Era Harry so much, it's very real what he's going through, and how much he fights and overcomes it, and his own personal growth as it comes with it.

Oops, left this bit in when I copied all that over from my Harry-related blog to paraphrase it...

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    (There ya go, the secret origin of this blog.) .
    Sorry! But thanks very much to you guys for your words, they're very much appreciated!

If anyone's interested I also whipped up a little look at Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #14, which has quite a lot of relevance to what's happening in the comics right now, tonight...

I've read ASM #74 now and I don't want to put this on the main thread, so since this is about Harry I'll put it here: god, this story is absolutely reprehensible morally. God knows if actual kids still read Spider-Man comics when the have the MCU out there but this sends a terrible message.

...Unfortunately I can't say exactly what it is because, try as I might, I cannot get spoiler tags to work, or even figure out where they are.

Fantastic Member

I've read ASM #74 now and I don't want to put this on the main thread, so since this is about Harry I'll put it here: god, this story is absolutely reprehensible morally. God knows if actual kids still read Spider-Man comics when the have the MCU out there but this sends a terrible message.

...Unfortunately I can't say exactly what it is because, try as I might, I cannot get spoiler tags to work, or even figure out where they are.
    spoilers:
    it seems like that the editorial is just rolling with BND Harry as the real Harry, based on the preview of #75 and the promotional articles on #74. I'm just going to defer to the "try not to think about it too hard" position here and assume editorial is just calling it as: Harry Osborn is dead, moving on. Plus Flash didn't stay dead too long, imagine Harry won't either.
    end of spoilers

(please tell me how you're doing the spoiler tags, I've thrown in the towel)

Primarily I feel like if I was J.M. DeMatteis I'd be SO angry about this story.

PHP Code:
    [spoil]spoiler text[/spoil
    That code results in this:
    spoilers:
    spoiler text
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ahh thank you so much!

So my (biggest) problem with this whole mess:

spoilers:
    Harry (or some version of him at any rate) dies saving Norman. NORMAN. The abusive Gwen-murdering fascist who sold him to the devil. Why? Harry is right to hate him, Norman stole his childhood and his life. It's a complete slap in the face to abuse survivors. Hey kids, you know what you should do with an abusive parent? You should still LOVE them enough to DIE for them because DEEP DOWN THEY LOVE YOU. Retch.
    end of spoilers

Ahh thank you so much!

spoilers:
    Harry (or some version of him at any rate) dies saving Norman. NORMAN. The abusive Gwen-murdering fascist who sold him to the devil. Why? Harry is right to hate him, Norman stole his childhood and his life. It's a complete slap in the face to abuse survivors. Hey kids, you know what you should do with an abusive parent? You should still LOVE them enough to DIE for them because DEEP DOWN THEY LOVE YOU. Retch.
    end of spoilers
    oh i didnt even thought of it this way. Yeah that very mess up when it mention it like that
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Amazing Member

Ahh thank you so much!

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The story was terrible, but I don't think DeMatteis would hate that bit in particular. In one of his stories, Peter was willing to die at the hands of Harry if that helped ending the vicious circle they were in. Undoubtedly part of his motivation was he still loved his, guess what, abusive friend.
    end of spoilers

That's fair, but maybe he would hate this (from his story "A Matter of Trust") being retconned like a slap in the face, cos I know I do.

h.jpg

spoilers:
    How do you fail to retcon OMD but DO retcon about the only thing to come out of it - Harry's return - that people actually more or less liked?!?!
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

That's fair, but maybe he would hate this (from his story "A Matter of Trust") being retconned like a slap in the face, cos I know I do.

h.jpg

spoilers:
    How do you fail to retcon OMD but DO retcon about the only thing to come out of it - Harry's return - that people actually more or less liked?!?!
    end of spoilers
    1)He's still a person, and the friendship is still there.And I liked Pre-OMD Harry, BND not so much.It's weird, don't we need a new appreciation thread for BND Harry now .....
    And for BND Harry fans, he hasn't been retconned.All that still took place.

2)OMD was stealth broken, Strange's monolgue is basically saying that.And Mayday is now a possibility in the future.Sins Past is gone, Peter and MJ as characters are fixed after a decade+ of character assasination, their relationship feels like Pre-OMD.Not to mention little things like Black Cat fixed, Kraven's death thing, etc.
    I'd say all that's a pretty big win.Only thing I'd ask for is Norman's death.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    1)He's still a person, and the friendship is still there.And I liked Pre-OMD Harry, BND not so much.It's weird, don't we need a new appreciation thread for BND Harry now .....
    And for BND Harry fans, he hasn't been retconned.All that still took place.

2)OMD was stealth broken, Strange's monolgue is basically saying that.And Mayday is now a possibility in the future.Sins Past is gone, Peter and MJ as characters are fixed after a decade+ of character assasination, their relationship feels like Pre-OMD.Not to mention little things like Black Cat fixed, Kraven's death thing, etc.
    I'd say all that's a pretty big win.Only thing I'd ask for is Norman's death.
    With the movie coming up doubt it

I'm kind of confused with Clone Harry from #74.
    So... Who cloned him? Norman believed that Harry was alive, because of Mysterio, right?

If it wasn't Norman... Then who?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    I'm kind of confused with Clone Harry from #74.
    So... Who cloned him? Norman believed that Harry was alive, because of Mysterio, right?

If it wasn't Norman... Then who?
    ....That's a very good point. I guess this story officially makes even less sense then.