Extraordinary Member

Default Power Girl / Firestorm

I don't know why I'm thinking about this now, but did DC ever explore this flirtation Post Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I don't know why I'm thinking about this now, but did DC ever explore this flirtation Post Crisis?
    I don't believe so.
    Conway was the writer that was toying with it in JLA, and he quit writing Firestorm with #53, shortly before Ostrander took over and the Legends crossover which established the post-Crisis DCU.

However, she did appear in Firestorm's book during Invasion when it crossed over with Starman. But I think it was implied that she was more interested in Starman at the time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The two of them had some great chemistry in the JLA/JSA team-ups. I wish they would have officially made them a couple.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The two of them had some great chemistry in the JLA/JSA team-ups. I wish they would have officially made them a couple.
    But don't forget that back then, they were from different worlds.
    (Different Earths, actually.)

That would have been a hell of a "long-distance romance"!

Boisterously Confused

It always felt a little forced to me, and I doubt it would have happened had Firestorm not lost his title. As Willis said to Campbell in Armageddon , it was a lack of options.

As for what happened Post-Crisis, Firestorm's hots were the least of writers' problems with finding a place for Power Girl in DC's world.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But don't forget that back then, they were from different worlds.
    (Different Earths, actually.)

That would have been a hell of a "long-distance romance"!
    Although... the JLA Satellite had a Dimensional Transporter that made going from Earth-1 to Earth-2, and vice versa, as easy as going to the corner market.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Although... the JLA Satellite had a Dimensional Transporter that made going from Earth-1 to Earth-2, and vice versa, as easy as going to the corner market.
    Except when it didn't, and it dumped you into Earth X, or let The Crime Syndicate loose on you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Except when it didn't, and it dumped you into Earth X, or let The Crime Syndicate loose on you.
    Well... true...
    But if PG and Firestorm were to think ahead and both go alone, they could wind up together on a strange planet all by themselves.
    Which could be a nice getaway...
    Unless said place is overflowing with villains and it's just the two of them.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nope. This is kind of a thing with Power Girl. She doesn't stick to anyone for long, partially because no writer can keep a hold of her for very long.

She's shown interest in Ronnie, Hal, Arthur, Carter, Michael Holt and Val-Zod to name a select few. I could swear Jimmy and Amanda were laying groundwork for her and Pieter Cross. Even so, I can't remember a time it lasted more than six issues, some only one.

It could work, but Ronnie is generally treated as an airhead college kid and PG tends to skew her interests a little older.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Nope. This is kind of a thing with Power Girl. She doesn't stick to anyone for long, partially because no writer can keep a hold of her for very long.

She's shown interest in Ronnie, Hal, Arthur, Carter, Michael Holt and Val-Zod to name a select few. I could swear Jimmy and Amanda were laying groundwork for her and Pieter Cross. Even so, I can't remember a time it lasted more than six issues, some only one.

It could work, but Ronnie is generally treated as an airhead college kid and PG tends to skew her interests a little older.
    Except for the nu52 PG, who liked everything male with a pulse. Oh that was terrible...

The worst thing? It was Paul Levitz, who should know better having been her major early writer. Then to do the nu52 PG and get virtually everything about her wrong...

Extraordinary Member

Thanks for all the responses. Especially since this question came out of nowhere.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Except for the nu52 PG, who liked everything male with a pulse. Oh that was terrible...

The worst thing? It was Paul Levitz, who should know better having been her major early writer. Then to do the nu52 PG and get virtually everything about her wrong...
    There's no doubt in my mind they gave Paul a characterization and he did what he could with it. New 52 was notoriously editorial-driven (and reports have come out 5G was going to do much the same). I strongly doubt it was his idea to take Power Girl and have her be simply Supergirl who wasn't allowed to be Supergirl since this universe had one. Everything about New 52 Power Girl was pretty much (like many things in New 52) looking at what came before and saying "NOT THAT!" Hence, Lois and Clark aren't dating and she's not into him at all. Mr. Freeze is some weirdo stalker. Ollie doesn't hate Hawkman and has no relationship whatsoever with Dinah. Power Girl is more of a valley girl and had zero issue being Supergirl, an identity defined by a man.

It felt very much like those '90s "not your daddy's [thing]" commercials. Really reactionary for its own sake. PG didn't escape unscathed, though Maguire's art was fun.

I don't remember her being that bad in New 52 (and nothing's wrong with a character who has that sort of sexual appetite, but it simply isn't Power Girl) but I'm just saying few love interests stick for her.

Real reason? No creative team (save Johns, who wasn't interested) gets to hold on to her for long and everyone wants to pair her up with someone else. Sadly, it usually comes at using her like a prop or prize (Carter, Michael and Val. Likely Hal too but I don't remember much of how that happened.) Of her love interests where she, well, showed interest and they tried to build something I can only really remember Arthur, Ronnie and (as I remind everyone, which I alone seemed to have inferred so it's probably not even there) Jimmy and Amanda did have her and Pieter starting to set something up before they walked since Amanda couldn't keep up on the monthly art grind.

In-universe? She seems to be the type to find not many are worth the long-term attention. She clearly likes dudes (and it seems that she likes ones who are confident), but few seem worth the effort for more than casual interest or are intimidated by how opinionated she can be.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-01-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.