Ultimate Member

Default Is A24 the best studio in Hollywood?

A24 is on a roll. Their latest movie- Green Knight is getting excellent reviews. I can't think of any other independent studio that's been producing so much great stuff.

Basically, when you see a trailer and the A24 logo in the front, you know you're in for something brilliant, original and sometimes harrowing.

Their movies have won a load of Academy awards in recent years and garnered immense acclaim.

I think an argument can easily be made that they are probably the studio churning out the most consistently critically acclaimed movies in the last 5 years or so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    A24 is on a roll. Their latest movie- Green Knight is getting excellent reviews. I can't think of any other independent studio that's been producing so much great stuff.

Basically, when you see a trailer and the A24 logo in the front, you know you're in for something brilliant, original and sometimes harrowing.

Their movies have won a load of Academy awards in recent years and garnered immense acclaim.

I think an argument can easily be made that they are probably the studio churning out the most consistently critically acclaimed movies in the last 5 years or so.
    You could have said the same for Fox Searchlight but funny and ironic, many did not care when others who were more on the creative side of things, said, if fox was bought by Disney, we would loose fox searchlight and that would be a huge loss of many art house style films. This cry went on ignored ears because all people and the media included cared about was getting X-MEN AND F4 in the MCU that they failed to think about what will happen on a bigger scale with Fox Searchlight that has made some of the best Oscar winning films. from Spotlight, The Favourite, The Shape of Water, 12 years a slave, The Black Swan to name a few.

That been said, I dont really think there is truly anything as the best studio in Hollywood because at the end of the day, great films are artistically born off by directors, writers and the cast. the work they all contributed to make that film is what counts what studio needs to do is to just back off and let the cast do what they were hired to do and I think every studio in Hollywood both big and small apart from Disney and their owned studios understands this.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

A friend of mine told me that Green Knight is Dark Souls adapted to film. I'm curious to know how they made that work.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A friend of mine told me that Green Knight is Dark Souls adapted to film. I'm curious to know how they made that work.
    From the first trailer of Green Knight, I was hooked.

Knowing this was A24, i expected something different than the original poem.

But from what I've read, the movie is more of a slow-burn character study. I don't mind that at all though, so far it's not boring.

Ultimate Member

You could have said the same for Fox Searchlight but funny and ironic, many did not care when others who were more on the creative side of things, said, if fox was bought by Disney, we would loose fox searchlight and that would be a huge loss of many art house style films. This cry went on ignored ears because all people and the media included cared about was getting X-MEN AND F4 in the MCU that they failed to think about what will happen on a bigger scale with Fox Searchlight that has made some of the best Oscar winning films. from Spotlight, The Favourite, The Shape of Water, 12 years a slave, The Black Swan to name a few.
    Searchlight Pictures is still releasing movies.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I certainly like them a great deal, if a film catches my attention and I see it's an A24 film I generally give it a shot.

I plan on seeing Green Knight, and I loved the Witch, the Lighthouse, Hereditary, Midsommar and Saint Maud.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Searchlight Pictures is still releasing movies.
    yes searchlight not fox searchlight. the fear in the indie world is that once Disney got it, their quality will drop and with time, there was even a rumor that disney would not even keep the company but they did in some form. However, even many of the films from searchlight now went into production before the deal officially closed between fox/disney.

Would the future of searchlight match the greatness of fox searchlight? that is yet to be seen in the long run because Searchlight only even exists more out of obligation than any artistic real standing point of why the studio still needs to be there and as we have seen with Disney, they do only seem to really invest in movies and tv shows, they can put their branding on. Fox Searchlight was just very different even at 21st fox it was still its own separate thing. it just does not belong in the same selling narrative as Lucas film movies, marvel, pixar and disney animation.

I think fox searchlight should have gone to Comcast not Disney. Rupert Mudorch should have split his film assets between other studios instead of selling everything to one company alone.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-31-2021 at 01:00 PM.