Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Daredevil

Luke Cage

Spider-Woman

Shroud

Captain America

Wasp

Sentry

Hela (since the Asgardians aren't truly gods, but an advanced alien race, why not have at least one mutant in the bunch?)

Sun Girl

Shuri

Doc Samson
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I'm envisioning Cerebro finds Captain America, so Professor X discovers him. He becomes the leader of the X-men. Now the WW2 hero is actually a mutant, so people's attitudes of mutants change.

So yes, boring power, but a great What IF I think.
    Welp... inspiration hit me.... "What if?.... En Sabah Nur never became Apocalypse?"

Oooh boy...

Step one: Apoccy became Apoccy by stealing a bunch of crap from a time-traveler. What if that hadn't happened? What if... instead... Apocalypse became a proper warlord, and the Clan Akkaba were his army? Some sources claim that Apocalypse has already vastly exceeded his own natural lifespan. So... presumably he'd be dead by now... but.... what if Clan Akkaba had gone on to become a full-fledged nation as his legacy?

Oh right... yeah.... time to re-write all of human history... ALL of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So it's a back and forth thing. I guess it's not as bad as changing someone who's been a mutant forever

Frankly, changing the origin because it's not marketable for toys bothers me.
    Well... this was the "drugs are bad" era, and the idea of getting super-powers from something analogous to real world narcotics was a mega-taboo in general. Stuff like "Kick" would have been so controversial back then that it'd be unlikely to pass the editor's desk.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Welp... inspiration hit me.... "What if?.... En Sabah Nur never became Apocalypse?"

Oooh boy...

Step one: Apoccy became Apoccy by stealing a bunch of crap from a time-traveler. What if that hadn't happened? What if... instead... Apocalypse became a proper warlord, and the Clan Akkaba were his army? Some sources claim that Apocalypse has already vastly exceeded his own natural lifespan. So... presumably he'd be dead by now... but.... what if Clan Akkaba had gone on to become a full-fledged nation as his legacy?

Oh right... yeah.... time to re-write all of human history... ALL of it.
    Well... this was the "drugs are bad" era, and the idea of getting super-powers from something analogous to real world narcotics was a mega-taboo in general. Stuff like "Kick" would have been so controversial back then that it'd be unlikely to pass the editor's desk.
    Yeah, but why not oppose it because drugs actually harm people, not because of merchandising?

I agree on many of characters described before (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Clock and Dagger, Franklin Richards, Squirrel Girl, Graydon Creed, Brian Braddock, Julia Carpenter)

I will add all children with super genius intellect (like Valeria Richards and Moon Girl) and two more: Juggernaut and Garrison Kane.

Yeah, but why not oppose it because drugs actually harm people, not because of merchandising?
    It's kinda-sorta seen as the same thing to them. The comics were showing drugs to be bad. Everyone but Cloak and Dagger in that experiment DIED. So they weren't ACTUALLY trying to portray them as good. It's one of those dumb PR things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetoBR View Post
    I agree on many of characters described before (Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, Clock and Dagger, Franklin Richards, Squirrel Girl, Graydon Creed, Brian Braddock, Julia Carpenter)

I will add all children with super genius intellect (like Valeria Richards and Moon Girl) and two more: Juggernaut and Garrison Kane.
    Isn't Juggernaut's whole point he's not a mutant? And Moon Girl already has an origin: she's an inhuman

I don't really disagree with the rest though

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    It's kinda-sorta seen as the same thing to them. The comics were showing drugs to be bad. Everyone but Cloak and Dagger in that experiment DIED. So they weren't ACTUALLY trying to portray them as good. It's one of those dumb PR things.
    I can see that but using these characters to sell merchandise isn't exactly totally ethical either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Daredevil

Luke Cage

Spider-Woman

Shroud

Captain America

Wasp

Sentry

Hela (since the Asgardians aren't truly gods, but an advanced alien race, why not have at least one mutant in the bunch?)

Sun Girl

Shuri

Doc Samson
    Most of those guys origins' are part of their character. Making them mutants would change that too much. Unlike characters with no clear origin to their powers.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-05-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Actually, I kinda agree with Metro here. Most of those guys origins' are part of their character. Making them mutants would change that too much. Unlike characters with no clear origin to their powers.
    I understand that. But again, that's not what the opening question asks. It's which characters would I like to see retconned as a mutant. Whether or not it works convincingly and fluidly with an eye to refreshing the canon is beside the point.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I understand that. But again, that's not what the opening question asks. It's which characters would I like to see retconned as a mutant. Whether or not it works convincingly and fluidly with an eye to refreshing the canon is beside the point.
    I guess so. Personally I'd be ok with anyone as long as their origin isn't too important to their characterization

Sara Grey.

Claremont then proposed to Jim Shooter that when Jean Grey had returned Sara to normal [see Bizarre Adventures #27], that she had also switched on Sara’s latent mutant genes. Sara’s power would be that when she came into close proximity with a latent mutant, that person’s mutant abilities would manifest, allowing X-Factor to locate mutants more easily.
    Source: https://www.comicsbeat.com/alternati...ght-have-been/

Fantastic Member

Cloak and Dagger. The Fantastic Four. Hulk like in the Ultimate universe. Re- Retcon Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into being mutants. Spiderman

Blue Marvel as a mutant

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rdman View Post
    Blue Marvel as a mutant
    What was his origin?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    Cloak and Dagger. The Fantastic Four. Hulk like in the Ultimate universe. Re- Retcon Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver into being mutants. Spiderman
    F4 = Nope

Spiderman = Nope and this is one big No. The radio active Spiderman bite is way too iconic.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are still mutants in likely 98% marvel readers heart. I don't think anyone ever took this retcon seriously in the first place.

Miles Morales or Spider-Girl, to give the spider-team an "official" mutant on the team. So far they've all been altered humans.