Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Stories are supposed to be plausible given the rules of the world in which they happen, for example, in our world it would be completely crazy to get powers from being bitten by a spider and yet it works in the MU because those kinds of things happen there.

Something like finding out you have a different birth family is not at all implausible in our world or the MU world and in marvel case it can be used to explore the characters and concepts like found family vs blood family, etc.

Narratives don´t have to be always "fun" for the character to be an interesting story to the readers that´s why there are heroic stories, tragic stories, fun stories and they matter in the sense that they are part of the character story so readers interested in the characters can follow their story.
    It all depends on how it's written. If it's written suddenly in the opposite of what's been previously established, even fictional readers can find it hard to believe.

Comics pose this huge problem because they switch writers so frequently. It's often times difficult to get footing on what the current canon even is in them.

Things can easily just not make sense in how they are written. Characters do typically have established personalities and traits. Any transition has to feel organic to still be believed. Especially by those who have long read a certain character or story.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Narratives don´t have to be always "fun" for the character to be an interesting story to the readers, that´s why there are heroic stories, tragic stories, fun stories,etc and they matter in the sense that they are part of the character narrative so readers interested in them can follow their tales.
    Agree. From my point of view, a reader’s point of view, the tragi-comedy that has been Wanda’s life is almost comical, but done in a good way, by authors who liked her (except House of M)… but after all, it’s the daily life of all comic heroes.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Agree. From my point of view, a readerÂ’s point of view, the tragi-comedy that has been WandaÂ’s life is almost comical, but done in a good way, by authors who liked her (except House of M)Â… but after all, itÂ’s the daily life of all comic heroes.
    Yes, I think is one of the problems of being a long time comic character, comics were originally created for children and slowly developed into more mature stories that explored different concepts from a wide range of narratives: the science-fiction type, fantasy, dystopic, Utopic, realist, heroic, etc so this means not all the stories will make sense in the long term, specially with different writers in charge of writting the characters but still can be interesting for readers because there´s something about those characters that keeps readers interested in their long running story and I believe that´s the case of Wanda and it´s also true for a lot of other characters this is why we also get mad a lot when we writers show they don´t know or care about this characters the same way we do.

I actually enjoy most of Wanda´s stories because I like her and I like fantasy themes and even being married to Vision is charming because it worked for them even if it wasn´t a long term thing and still she can handle horror and heroic stories all the same.

I also like tragic and real world stories and that´s why I enjoy reading about the X-men and Magneto but this doesn´t mean I don´t like fun stories with them like when Magneto was the new mutants teacher, some of his fans didn´t like that era because they thought it made him less a menace or less badass but him trying so hard to be a good teacher and actually care about them is a good and fun story for me so yes, I can see not all stories are for all readers but as long as it makes sense inside the world building they can make sense for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It all depends on how it's written. If it's written suddenly in the opposite of what's been previously established, even fictional readers can find it hard to believe.

Comics pose this huge problem because they switch writers so frequently. It's often times difficult to get footing on what the current canon even is in them.

Things can easily just not make sense in how they are written. Characters do typically have established personalities and traits. Any transition has to feel organic to still be believed. Especially by those who have long read a certain character or story.
    Agreed completely this is why writers have to be able to show with their writting the how this change happens and why and what circunstances led to it, not all of them are able to handle this in a way that convinces readers but when they do it can be quite a good story.

I also think an additional obstacle is the fact comics just don´t have enough time to develop characters as they used to and this is why some have to make those changes withing a small period of time, long running stories like the ones Claremont used to tell in which he made all kind of changes to the characters to give them more depth are very hard to write in now, it can be done but it´s a lot harder than it used to be imo.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-02-2021 at 07:58 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Franklin Richards
    Cloak & Dagger
    Bruce Banner (but not the Hulk; PAD hinted at this)
    Echo
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

So, you must have imagined a fun story that comes along with this idea… I mean a fun story for the reader not for the character. Wanda didn’t handle well the “Gosh, my father is Magneto, no it’s not Magneto, could it be Magneto?” Identity crises aren’t supposed to be fun… well, if it’s done realistically.
    Wanda isn’t the only character I or others mentioned, there is more to her than just her relationship with Magneto. Do you have something against fun?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Franklin Richards
    Cloak & Dagger
    Bruce Banner (but not the Hulk; PAD hinted at this)
    Echo
    I'd love to see Cloak & Dagger vome back into the fold.

The Uptopia revelation always left a bitter taste in my mouth because they fit right in with the mutants. The younger mutants even looked to them for guidance.

So many stories could be had plus their powers are just cool.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Wanda isn’t the only character I or others mentioned, there is more to her than just her relationship with Magneto. Do you have something against fun?
    Not at all. But from an author’s point of view, a revelation must have consequences. Just throwing names is a bit short. What changes from being a human with super-powers to a mutant with super-powers? Is it fun the difference? I fail to see it.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There are things even in fiction that don't make sense if they don't add up to what has been written before. That's why world building is so important. Establishing personalities, history and rules. Making the world feel immersive. Comics can sometimes feel the opposite. They feel like modern writers like to just destroy everything. Nothing really matters, but the shock of events to make money.
    Well, if anything good ficiton needs more logic and sense behind it than real life, there are a **** ton of stuff in real life that happened simply due to chance and coincidence. But you cannot tell a story like that, that's why most real life events aren't story worthy(even those that are needs a lot of tweaking and rewriting to make them actually interesting.)

Not at all. But from an author’s point of view, a revelation must have consequences. Just throwing names is a bit short. What changes from being a human with super-powers to a mutant with super-powers? Is it fun the difference? I fail to see it.
    If you can’t see the potential for fun in comics I can’t help.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I didn't find any interactions Wanda had with Mags as fun. It usually meant something bad happening to her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Well, if anything good ficiton needs more logic and sense behind it than real life, there are a **** ton of stuff in real life that happened simply due to chance and coincidence. But you cannot tell a story like that, that's why most real life events aren't story worthy(even those that are needs a lot of tweaking and rewriting to make them actually interesting.)
    In many cases that's a matter of not having the info to fill in the blanks. We know things happened for reasons, but IRL often... the nature of the reasons is unknown. so it's not that things happened at random, but that the reasons WHY are just... not known.

Why would I want any of my favorites defiled in this way?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Every character who was retconned not to be a mutant after House of M.
    My flag is bacon.

Mary Jane Parker. I am proably one of those few people that in certain situations greatly prefer the personality of the female character and root for them over the male. I am more likely to read spiderman if mary jane is a central figure as i would read for her just like i mainly read superman for lois lane (her solo was amaze balls). So i would love if prolonged exposure to all she has endured somehow awakened her latent mutant gene in a moment of desperation and stress. More than anyone i would say MJP.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Mary Jane Parker. I am proably one of those few people that in certain situations greatly prefer the personality of the female character and root for them over the male. I am more likely to read spiderman if mary jane is a central figure as i would read for her just like i mainly read superman for lois lane (her solo was amaze balls). So i would love if prolonged exposure to all she has endured somehow awakened her latent mutant gene in a moment of desperation and stress. More than anyone i would say MJP.
    That would be interesting. Did you happen to enjoy Amazing Mary Jane when it was out?
    The spider is always on the hunt.