Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I haven't read any Hawkman comics, but it seems like JLU has one of the best takes on his origin.
    Their take turned him into a cuckold and a third wheel in a love triangle. I'll take the Post-Crisis mess over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I know Bruce Timm isn't know for his great portrayal of female characters, but why do Wonder Woman fans disapprove of her DCAU version?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    She was often portrayed as aggressive and stuck-up, while the qualities she's known for (compassion, diplomacy, sisterhood with other women) were barely present, her lasso was nerfed for 99% of the show, her villains were treated poorly (especially Cheetah), and her crushing on Batman was obnoxious.
    What Psy-Lock said pretty much. It's kind of embarrassing Timm and co's most long lasting legacy on DC's biggest female hero is giving her a schoolgirl crush on Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Their take turned him into a cuckold and a third wheel in a love triangle. I'll take the Post-Crisis mess over it.
    I was talking about his origin, not about his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    What Psy-Lock said pretty much. It's kind of embarrassing Timm and co's most long lasting legacy on DC's biggest female hero is giving her a schoolgirl crush on Batman.
    They had some of the most weird decisions around Batman in that universe, i absolutely hate the Terry McGinnis retcon for the last episode.

Kinda weird too that Timm makes every woman wanting to bang Bruce, from Batgirl to Wonder Woman.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    They had some of the most weird decisions around Batman in that universe, i absolutely hate the Terry McGinnis retcon for the last episode.

Kinda weird too that Timm makes every woman wanting to bang Bruce, from Batgirl to Wonder Woman.
    Yeah, I'm not even the biggest fan of Beyond but that retcon was so dumb.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Terry being Bruce's biological son was so unnecessary. I'd say that Timm self-inserted as Bruce, but usually self inserts don't wind up like he did in Batman Beyond.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    ...I haven't read any Hawkman comics, but it seems like JLU has one of the best takes on his origin. Apparently Venditti recently "fixed" the character's backstory.
    I doubt you'll find too many Hawkfans that agree with you. There were pluses. I particularly liked how they substituted the absorbascom for endless reincarnation, and had "Joseph Gardner" change his name to an English version of Katar Hol. Past that, one of my faves got shafted pretty hard by Mr. Trimm, et al.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Of late? They bother with civilian supporting casts sometimes, which is more than the source does in recent memory.

Limited budgets force more character moments in television, which is often more memorable than big action scenes (which are cool, but not what stick, at least to this reader/viewer).

The added benefit of actor delivery and sound make it easier to tell jokes that resonate with the audience.

Romance. They don't treat it like a plague that will kill their product. Some go way overboard on it, but you'll find the best moments from most pairings come from their adaptions because they actually bother to do stuff there. That isn't to say there are not great moments in the comics, but you'll see it a lot more often in adaption than you will in comics.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Of late? They bother with civilian supporting casts sometimes, which is more than the source does in recent memory.

Limited budgets force more character moments in television, which is often more memorable than big action scenes (which are cool, but not what stick, at least to this reader/viewer).

The added benefit of actor delivery and sound make it easier to tell jokes that resonate with the audience.

Romance. They don't treat it like a plague that will kill their product. Some go way overboard on it, but you'll find the best moments from most pairings come from their adaptions because they actually bother to do stuff there. That isn't to say there are not great moments in the comics, but you'll see it a lot more often in adaption than you will in comics.
    I dunno if I'd give them credit on that front if only because most DC TV shows end up turning their civilians into Superhero support or other Superheroes...although shows like SM&L have been a little bit better on that front.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno if I'd give them credit on that front if only because most DC TV shows end up turning their civilians into Superhero support or other Superheroes...although shows like SM&L have been a little bit better on that front.
    A show like Stargirl has a harder time developing outside supporting cast, because it's inherently an ensemble show. Still, I get your point.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You are entirely correct, the lategame of CW shows is always a train wreck, but that doesn't change that they're still doing the leg work in the beginning which is more than I can say for most of DC's comics.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Boisterously Confused

You are entirely correct, the lategame of CW shows is always a train wreck, but that doesn't change that they're still doing the leg work in the beginning which is more than I can say for most of DC's comics.
    Nor is it unique to CW. Buffy had a richer, if only occasional, supporting cast in it's first couple of seasons. Alias became a near-completly different show once they dropped Bristo's cover life. You saw the difference between S1and S2 of Agent Carter as well.

Extraordinary Member

I’d say the biggest format advantage that TV shows get, whether in live action or animation, is an ability to pace multiple stories out for a greater fusion of both episodic adventures (quantity) and yet still serialized progression and growth (quality.)

This is mostly because a team of creators work on a set of stories all at once, ensuring greater quality control overall, but also a greater focus on what will work going forward.

It can still get screwy if a bad creator or idea perseveres, mind you, but a good show will inevitably create an excellent amount of adequate adventures and genuinely believable and long lasting change.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Justice League Unlimited showed that the Satellite League could still work with new members.
    I will go one further and say the giant JLU roster is the best version of the Justice League we have seen in decades. Bringing heroes in as needed instead of trying to fit the same characters into each arc just worked so much better. It let them do smaller stories inbetween the big ones.

I'd say romance is frequently used in both the comics and adaptations to varying degrees of success.