View Poll Results: Which Live-Action Movie Spider-Man Is The Most Faithful To The Comics?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raimi Spider-Man(Tobey Maguire)

32 50.79%
  • Webb Spider-Man(Andrew Garfield)

21 33.33%
  • MCU Spider-Man(Tom Holland)

10 15.87%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who’s The Most Comic Accurate Live-Action Spider-Man?

Happy Spider-Man day Spider-Fans! With rumors circulating that both Andrew Garfield and Maguire will return as Spider-Man in No Way Home I just wanted to know out of all the live-action portrayals of Spider-Man ranging from the mopey Raimi version to the Iron Man fanboy MCU version which out of all them do you think is the most accurate to how we know Peter Parker to be in the comics? I like all the live-action portrayals we’ve gotten with the character even with the standard changes and deviations from the comics but I’m curious who’s in your opinion the most comic accurate cinematic Spider-Man?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-01-2021 at 08:56 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member

Andrew hands down.
    And for anyone saying
    1)He's too cool:-Aside from skateboarding a bit he is a loner who doesn't fit in and can't talk to girls and gets bullied
    2)Too good looking:-Peter in the comics is great looking as well.Even Stan lee said so, the glasses and his fashion sense very early on was what made him "unattractive".

Incredible Member

Garfield has and will probably always be my favorite Peter Parker. He kinda reminded me of a live action version of the 90’s cartoon Spider-Man (but that’s not the only reason why I enjoyed his portrayal of Peter).

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Andrew Garfield for me. I grew up with the Raimi movies but the Webb saga is my favorite adaptation of Spidey.

Looks-wise and Spider-Man personality -> Garfield.

Most believable as a teenager -> Holland

Most believable nerdy Peter -> Maguire

BANNED

Close call but I think Holland edges Tobey. That said they still have to come up with the storyline that fully allows Holland to claim it unequivocally. Marvel/Disney hS yet to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Close call but I think Holland edges Tobey. That said they still have to come up with the storyline that fully allows Holland to claim it unequivocally. Marvel/Disney hS yet to do that.
    I think Holland has definitely been shortchanged in terms of his portrayal because of how his Spider-Man functions in the MCU.

Most comic accurate? Raimi. That's kind of by default, though. And they made a lot of changes.

But just look at some of the villains. Norman Osborn/Green Goblin. Doctor Octopus. Black Costume leading to Eddie Brock leading to Venom.

Big role for J. Jonah Jameson.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 08-02-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Andrew hands down.
    And for anyone saying
    1)He's too cool:-Aside from skateboarding a bit he is a loner who doesn't fit in and can't talk to girls and gets bullied
    2)Too good looking:-Peter in the comics is great looking as well.Even Stan lee said so, the glasses and his fashion sense very early on was what made him "unattractive".
    The problem is the Peter/Gwen relationship as presented in those movies, that got all the emphasis, really wasn't Peter and Gwen. It was more Peter and Ultimate Mary Jane (and even then, MJ was Peter's best friend in Ultimate before he told her that he was Spider-Man. Peter was unsure if Gwen even knew his name the first time he talked to her in the Garfield movies).

The core of the relationship in the comics was the irony of Gwen loving Peter, but hating Spider-Man. It was like an inverse of the old Clark Kent/Superman/Lois Lane triangle where Lois loved Superman and was indifferent to Clark. But those movies basically traded in that drama for foreshadowing Gwen's eventual death.

Harry was also the first Goblin (and dying of Hollywood disease) and immediately went off the deep end (as opposed to his slow eventual fall). Felicia (Hardy) was his personal assistant, and Mary Jane didn't exist (I know they cast someone and then cut her scenes). Peter also seemingly never caught Uncle Ben's killer, which is occasionally a thing with Batman, but had never been a thing before with Spider-Man. Oh, and everything related to the Daily Bugle was off-screen so we have no idea what was there or not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The problem is the Peter/Gwen relationship as presented in those movies, that got all the emphasis, really wasn't Peter and Gwen. It was more Peter and Ultimate Mary Jane (and even then, MJ was Peter's best friend in Ultimate before he told her that he was Spider-Man. Peter was unsure if Gwen even knew his name the first time he talked to her in the Garfield movies).

The core of the relationship in the comics was the irony of Gwen loving Peter, but hating Spider-Man. It was like an inverse of the old Clark Kent/Superman/Lois Lane triangle where Lois loved Superman and was indifferent to Clark. But those movies basically traded in that drama for foreshadowing Gwen's eventual death.

Harry was also the first Goblin (and dying of Hollywood disease) and immediately went off the deep end (as opposed to his slow eventual fall). Felicia (Hardy) was his personal assistant, and Mary Jane didn't exist (I know they cast someone and then cut her scenes). Peter also seemingly never caught Uncle Ben's killer, which is occasionally a thing with Batman, but had never been a thing before with Spider-Man. Oh, and everything related to the Daily Bugle was off-screen so we have no idea what was there or not.
    The question is who is the most comic accurate spider-man.

I agree, but it's the best relationship in both actors and story we have got by far.The chemistry is undeniable.
    MJ is a cheater who cheated multiple times.Nothing wrong with making mistakes but I wish she got an arc where she didn't kiss Harry and learned her lesson.And MJ from comics would never cheat, she despises such actions, her father was a drunk cheater IIRC.
    Michelle is a small and niche character from comics and nothing like in the MCU.The first movie she isn't even the love interest and her interest in peter and vice-versa is abrupt af.

I agree, but it's a nice spin from Raimi which did the secret identity thing.Not defending it but the romance is the best we have from any CBM.Nothing comes close.

Yeah, Harry was a disappointment but it's a movie and it's hard to show a slow fall in the span of one movie packed with so much story.
    Felicia was going to go an as the Black cat if they continued it.The actress was good casting.
    Same with MJ for the casting.Probably the first comic accurate depiction in any adaptation except spectacular.
    Yeah, but that's better than no Uncle Ben at all(cough cough MCU cough cough).
    And May was great in those, and specially for a younger version compared to aunt hotie in the MCU.She had so much heart and the scenes where they worry or argue*chef's kiss*.
    Yeah but they focused on Conner's lab , again Raimi already did it.

And the Web swinging and the fights are the best Spider-man fights in live action period.Heck they are in the top of CBM movies.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Raimi was closest to the comics he was adapting (Ditko/Lee). This IS Spider-man to a lot of people and I can't argue that the core elements were all pretty good. It's my favourite adaptation.

I think Webb did a decent job adapting Peter's character from the Romita/Lee college era where he was a bit more happy-go-lucky and outgoing. Garfield and Stone were very likable. Shame about almost everything else.

I love the villains in the MCU version. This might be heresy but I might prefer Mysterio and Vulture to even Molina's Doc Ock. However, nothing else feels like Spider-man to me and I find Holland equal parts charming and grating. This may be due to my never being an Ultimate Spider-man fan (at least until Miles).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Raimi was closest to the comics he was adapting (Ditko/Lee). This IS Spider-man to a lot of people and I can't argue that the core elements were all pretty good. It's my favourite adaptation.

I think Webb did a decent job adapting Peter's character from the Romita/Lee college era where he was a bit more happy-go-lucky and outgoing. Garfield and Stone were very likable. Shame about almost everything else.

I love the villains in the MCU version. This might be heresy but I might prefer Mysterio and Vulture to even Molina's Doc Ock. However, nothing else feels like Spider-man to me and I find Holland equal parts charming and grating. This may be due to my never being an Ultimate Spider-man fan (at least until Miles).
    I think the best thing about the MCU Spider-Man films is probably the villains.

Nicholas Hammond for grad student Peter.

Astonishing Member

Andrew hands down.
    And for anyone saying
    This.

The skateboarding was admittedly too over-the-top. It came off like the movie thought audiences wouldn't "get" that this character is a loner, so they felt the need to dress him up like a stereotypical 2000s loner in the beginning by giving him a skateboard and hoodie. I will grant the TASM critics that that was over the top and unnecessary.

Still, other than those superficial design choices in some scenes of TASM, Andrew's Peter is more-or-less exactly the Peter of the comics. The Peter in ASM is the angry loner Peter of the Lee/Ditko era dressed like the Ultimate Peter (baggy brown coat and backpack), while the "cool-looking" Peter of ASM2 is the Lee/Romita Peter. Garfield played all three major comic book high school takes on Peter within the span of two films, and performance-wise he nailed it.

He also nailed Spidey's humor the best out of all three, and for that he has my vote.

The question is who is the most comic accurate spider-man.

I agree, but it's the best relationship in both actors and story we have got by far.The chemistry is undeniable.
    MJ is a cheater who cheated multiple times.Nothing wrong with making mistakes but I wish she got an arc where she didn't kiss Harry and learned her lesson.And MJ from comics would never cheat, she despises such actions, her father was a drunk cheater IIRC.
    Michelle is a small and niche character from comics and nothing like in the MCU.The first movie she isn't even the love interest and her interest in peter and vice-versa is abrupt af.

I agree, but it's a nice spin from Raimi which did the secret identity thing.Not defending it but the romance is the best we have from any CBM.Nothing comes close.

Yeah, Harry was a disappointment but it's a movie and it's hard to show a slow fall in the span of one movie packed with so much story.
    Felicia was going to go an as the Black cat if they continued it.The actress was good casting.
    Same with MJ for the casting.Probably the first comic accurate depiction in any adaptation except spectacular.
    Yeah, but that's better than no Uncle Ben at all(cough cough MCU cough cough).
    And May was great in those, and specially for a younger version compared to aunt hotie in the MCU.She had so much heart and the scenes where they worry or argue*chef's kiss*.
    Yeah but they focused on Conner's lab , again Raimi already did it.

And the Web swinging and the fights are the best Spider-man fights in live action period.Heck they are in the top of CBM movies.
    The question is "Who's the most comic accurate" and the huge changes to Gwen and her relationship with Peter are not reflective of their relationship at all. Peter straight up did not tell her that he was Spider-Man. He even thought about how he would keep his identity a secret from her after they were married in the story she ended up dying in.

And this is without getting into Black Cat or anyone else (especially Harry).

(Spider-Man vs. Doctor Octopus is still the high water mark for Spider-Man fights in live-action.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 08-02-2021 at 03:01 PM.