View Poll Results: Which Live-Action Movie Spider-Man Is The Most Faithful To The Comics?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raimi Spider-Man(Tobey Maguire)

32 50.79%
  • Webb Spider-Man(Andrew Garfield)

21 33.33%
  • MCU Spider-Man(Tom Holland)

10 15.87%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Holland. Although in re to the approach to the actual mythology, that would have to go to Raimi as a director.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Spectacular Member

Tom Holland is the best actual spider-man, Andrew Garfield has the best supporting cast and Raimi is the best director.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Tom Holland is the best actual spider-man, Andrew Garfield has the best supporting cast and Raimi is the best director.
    Garfield didn't have Jonah (offscreen appearances do not count). And his Aunt May was not comparable to Rosemary Harris'. (I love Sally Field, but it was clear she wasn't into the material in the slightest.)

Holland's Peter spends too much time trying to impress Tony Stark. It really weakens Spider-Man as a character when he is literally positioned as being in Iron Man's shadow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Garfield didn't have Jonah (offscreen appearances do not count). And his Aunt May was not comparable to Rosemary Harris'. (I love Sally Field, but it was clear she wasn't into the material in the slightest.)

Holland's Peter spends too much time trying to impress Tony Stark. It really weakens Spider-Man as a character when he is literally positioned as being in Iron Man's shadow.
    TASM May was great imo.Still not as good as Raimi but close.Peter and May interactions were *chef's kiss*.

Yeah, homecoming did a good job at ending that but they f*cked it up with FFH.Should have had far less Tony.Just the start should have been it, nothing else.

Sally Field still had better and more emotional material than Marisa Tomei.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sally Field still had better and more emotional material than Marisa Tomei.
    By a mile.
    Both Raimi and TASM May were may's, MCU May is nothing like any May I have seen in any adaptation.
    She not terrible, but nowhere near the other 2

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Holland looks the right age and he has the accent. Raimi has the best overall cast, Willem Dafoe in that mask is almost unforgivable but he is so good he acts through it. I think because of the Uncle Ben and Aunt May story, Tobey wins.

Amazing Member

I think somone said it best when they said Tobey captures the Lee/Ditko era and Andrew captures the Lee/Romita era. I'm not sure what Tom captures tho, coz i don't think it really captures the Ultimate era either, maybe the Miles Ultimate comics sure. Tobey is obviously the best tho. He has the "feel" of the comics, if that makes any sense

Raimi was aiming for Lee/Romita because that was the era he got into Spider-Man.

Holland. He looks, acts and moves like the Spider-Man from the comics but his movies are hampered by being in perpetual cross over with the broader MCU and happening so closely after a previous Spider-Man reboot.

McGuire: Lee/Romita Spider-Man mixed with JM DeMattis and DeFalco versions.

Garfield: Ultimate Spider-Man but with the tone of a Marvel Knights book.

Holland: Ditko/Lee mixed with JMS run when Spidey was living in Avengers Tower and where his idolization of Tony Stark was first brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Holland. He looks, acts and moves like the Spider-Man from the comics but his movies are hampered by being in perpetual cross over with the broader MCU and happening so closely after a previous Spider-Man reboot.

McGuire: Lee/Romita Spider-Man mixed with JM DeMattis and DeFalco versions.

Garfield: Ultimate Spider-Man but with the tone of a Marvel Knights book.

Holland: Ditko/Lee mixed with JMS run when Spidey was living in Avengers Tower and where his idolization of Tony Stark was first brought up.
    I can give looks because of the suit (even though he's gone through so many) and how he moves depending on the movie (Russo's and FFH more than Homecoming), although as far as acts...he only occasionally quips and exhibits much of a personality as Spider-Man, so I think Garfield's got him there.

I think Holland is Ultimate Peter without the neurotic personality (in before someone says that's just Miles).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, not really. Peter spent those days constantly disagreeing with Tony or ignoring his wishes, and also being quippy to him. Even tells him "I call you boss because I know it bugs you, don't let that get to your head." Peter did appreciate what Tony did for him, it's correct to say they had a decent working relationship, but the admiration was always one-sided on Tony's part.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-04-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I mean, not really. Peter spent those days constantly disagreeing with Tony or ignoring his wishes, and also being quippy to him. Even tells him "I call it boss because I know it bugs you, don't let that get to your head." Peter did appreciate what Tony did for him, it's correct to say they had a decent working relationship, but the admiration was always one-sided on Tony's part.
    Thank you.
    Never understood why people think Spidey Iron Man relationship was like in the comics even during Civil War era.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Thank you.
    Never understood why people think Spidey Iron Man relationship was like in the comics even during Civil War era.
    Exactly. It was literally the opposite of the MCU. Even before he broke off, Peter just never vibed with Tony. At best Peter was no more fond of him than your average Avenger, and at worst he would sass and go against him as if he was Hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I mean, not really. Peter spent those days constantly disagreeing with Tony or ignoring his wishes, and also being quippy to him. Even tells him "I call it boss because I know it bugs you, don't let that get to your head." Peter did appreciate what Tony did for him, it's correct to say they had a decent working relationship, but the admiration was always one-sided on Tony's part.
    Yeah, it's a very different relationship with a functioning, experienced, adult and peer rather than how it's depicted in the MCU.