Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Legion Suggestion

I think that if Bendis isn’t going to be able to continue his LSH series, maybe it could be continued WITHOUT yet another reboot by a strong writer. Based on rereading Final Crisis, Grant Morrison would be a great selection! And the way his mind works, he could deal with all the various LSH incarnations!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Morrison is the last person I would ever want on Legion. Everybody rags on Johns for being a Silver Age fanboy, but Morrison is just as bad in his worship of the Golden Age. I would much rather see someone younger and fresher like Hickman take over, but not this version Bendis created. There is no saving that mess.

Spectacular Member

Maybe Tom Taylor? He's already writing Jon in Son of El.

Al Ewing or Kieron Gillen could be fun.

The Bendis reboot is the problem. it significantly altered the appearances of so many Legion of Super Hero members that it alienated the entire fanbase.

Unfortunately some of that altering included racial bending of previous characters which will be hard to undo in the present political climate.

(ie, I grew up for decades seeing Garth Ranzz has a pasty haired ginger, you do the racial bend and now he no longer looks like the Garth I grew up with, he is now looks like another guy walking around with the same name.)

In short, the Legion is dead to me, and dead to many fans, because I highly doubt it will be rebooted back to how characters looked like for oh lets say....approximately 50 + years.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I think that if Bendis isn’t going to be able to continue his LSH series, maybe it could be continued WITHOUT yet another reboot by a strong writer. Based on rereading Final Crisis, Grant Morrison would be a great selection! And the way his mind works, he could deal with all the various LSH incarnations!
    Another writer could be a potential solution, but as other poster had said, the Bendis rebott is the problem. Isn't only that, it was the expectative of returning to the Legion only to be delivered another reboot.
    On other side, I don't think than Morrison is willing to return to DC again. There is a lot of other projects than had been left in the back burned and I don't think than Morrison is interesed in the Legion (Or this version of the Legion). At least when he wrote them as the Legion of Adult Super-heroes, he wrote something interesting.

Last, but not least, Bendis doesn't seems very willing to leave his version of the Legion to another writer. He still declares the book as alive and keeps posting teases based in already published art, insisting there is a plan and there is something to come, from him naturally. That could be truth or not, maybe Bendis still is hope on a new volumen of his Legion will be published in the near future, but at the moment doesn't seems like DC is very interested in announce a new series or at least give a hint about something to come. Is more like they are just waiting for the time to pass before restart the Legion again. That doesn't seems the kind of strategy to use on a successful book. The sentence on the title has not yet been declared and many things can change.

But as always, an announcement could drop in any moment, with Bendis still attached to the team. But I give them until december for some news before rate this iteration as failed.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    The Bendis reboot is the problem. it significantly altered the appearances of so many Legion of Super Hero members that it alienated the entire fanbase.

Unfortunately some of that altering included racial bending of previous characters which will be hard to undo in the present political climate.

(ie, I grew up for decades seeing Garth Ranzz has a pasty haired ginger, you do the racial bend and now he no longer looks like the Garth I grew up with, he is now looks like another guy walking around with the same name.)

In short, the Legion is dead to me, and dead to many fans, because I highly doubt it will be rebooted back to how characters looked like for oh lets say....approximately 50 + years.
    I agree.
    The Legion is pretty much dead.
    And that's a shame, as it was once one of DC's top sellers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Another writer could be a potential solution, but as other poster had said, the Bendis rebott is the problem. Isn't only that, it was the expectative of returning to the Legion only to be delivered another reboot.
    On other side, I don't think than Morrison is willing to return to DC again. There is a lot of other projects than had been left in the back burned and I don't think than Morrison is interesed in the Legion (Or this version of the Legion). At least when he wrote them as the Legion of Adult Super-heroes, he wrote something interesting.

Last, but not least, Bendis doesn't seems very willing to leave his version of the Legion to another writer. He still declares the book as alive and keeps posting teases based in already published art, insisting there is a plan and there is something to come, from him naturally. That could be truth or not, maybe Bendis still is hope on a new volumen of his Legion will be published in the near future, but at the moment doesn't seems like DC is very interested in announce a new series or at least give a hint about something to come. Is more like they are just waiting for the time to pass before restart the Legion again. That doesn't seems the kind of strategy to use on a successful book. The sentence on the title has not yet been declared and many things can change.

But as always, an announcement could drop in any moment, with Bendis still attached to the team. But I give them until december for some news before rate this iteration as failed.
    The only 'plan' I would care for is if he did a crossover with the original Legion as he departed that left his team in a pocket universe, ala DnA Legion, and brought back the real Legion.

Mind you, I know the fanboy ideas of 'the real' anything, but in this case, after countless reboots which never measure up, there's no denying that there is really one 'real' Legion.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

Wasn’t one of the threeboot Legions established as being on Earth 2?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The only 'plan' I would care for is if he did a crossover with the original Legion as he departed that left his team in a pocket universe, ala DnA Legion, and brought back the real Legion.

Mind you, I know the fanboy ideas of 'the real' anything, but in this case, after countless reboots which never measure up, there's no denying that there is really one 'real' Legion.
    here here I agree completely I am hoping all of this waking up to the "real" history in Infinite Frontier leads to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That would be wonderful.

I can't refute that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Wasn’t one of the threeboot Legions established as being on Earth 2?
    The nu52 version was stated to be on the Earth 2 book's world. Which had its own questions regarding the conquering and moving of the planet's population. I'm not sure trying to deal with that is worth the problem and quietly ignoring it works for me.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I'd dump the whole mess Bendis made, and go back to a previous version, with another writer. Tom Taylor or Al Ewing would be fine with me. Do I think that'll happen? Hardly. Nowadays, the trend with pop culture seems to be, you destroy something people love, insult the fans a bit, and then, double your bet. As others have said, I guess after all that "Long Live the Legion", the Legion is finally dead.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I don't care as much about all the new appearances, though I'm not fond of several of them (frankly, Element Lad frequently looks like a drunken Bizarro), but I'm inclined to agree about Bendis being the problem, because of the characterization and backstory changes.

The most egregious example is that Cosmic Boy is a one-percenter instead of lower-class and seeking a better life, but also, Ultra Boy is a feudal prince instead of a street gang kid, Mon-El is a serial cheater, and apparently, Kryptonian royalty, and nobody cares about Superman, their big inspiration being Jon instead, I guess, which is just Legacy Jobbing!

I don't know if there's a statute of limitations of reboots. I think overly frequent reboots are one of the big problems with the Legion, over the last twenty or thirty years (they never should have done the threeboot and retroboot to begin with!) but in this case, yeah, I think the new reboot should, itself, be rebooted.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The nu52 version was stated to be on the Earth 2 book's world. Which had its own questions regarding the conquering and moving of the planet's population. I'm not sure trying to deal with that is worth the problem and quietly ignoring it works for me.
    That is a misconception initiated by Bleeding Cool. Paul Levitz explained than the objetive of that panel was to stablish than in the future the Legion had not a precise account of what events had happenend in the past, so they have imprecise data from previous era. I mean, the whole "Superman and the legion of Super-heroes" from Johns was based on that idea, imprecise data from the past.