Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I don't care as much about all the new appearances, though I'm not fond of several of them (frankly, Element Lad frequently looks like a drunken Bizarro), but I'm inclined to agree about Bendis being the problem, because of the characterization and backstory changes.

The most egregious example is that Cosmic Boy is a one-percenter instead of lower-class and seeking a better life, but also, Ultra Boy is a feudal prince instead of a street gang kid, Mon-El is a serial cheater, and apparently, Kryptonian royalty, and nobody cares about Superman, their big inspiration being Jon instead, I guess, which is just Legacy Jobbing!

I don't know if there's a statute of limitations of reboots. I think overly frequent reboots are one of the big problems with the Legion, over the last twenty or thirty years (they never should have done the threeboot and retroboot to begin with!) but in this case, yeah, I think the new reboot should, itself, be rebooted.
    I agree, you have to reboot the reboot to get Legion fans to starting buying the title again.

To me appearances matter this time around because they did such an overall that many of the heroes became unrecognizable to the fans.

...and the overhaul did feel a little political...

Most people, (myself included) don't really care if a hero your not big on gets altered whether it's for body positivity or racially bending for diversity, but...

when you take someone's favourite character and alter their body significantly it's almost like they are a different character. Both Timber Wolf and Lightning Lad to me feel like different characters now. They are not the Brin and Garth I grew up with, and thus I feel totally alienated from the new Legion.
    Last edited by Captain Nostalgia; 08-04-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

No offense but divisive fan base in the sense of what version they want, low sales, people thinking the old versions having too many white people. I dunno what can be done.

Slam every version of the Legion in 1 book? Cherry pick what works for unified version? Use the 1985 version again and everyone gets rainbow skin, like purple and pink and orange etc separately? Black Label 5YL Legion? Batboy and the Legion? Use the Bikini 70's era again?

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    No offense but divisive fan base in the sense of what version they want, low sales, people thinking the old versions having too many white people. I dunno what can be done.

Slam every version of the Legion in 1 book? Cherry pick what works for unified version? Use the 1985 version again and everyone gets rainbow skin, like purple and pink and orange etc separately? Black Label 5YL Legion? Batboy and the Legion? Use the Bikini 70's era again?
    I liked more the Zero Hour version, but I would prefer a sense of continuity and I am willing to set my personal preferences aside to keep a coherence on the characters and continue with the last iteration previously published.

But most important, keep Bendis away from them.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I liked more the Zero Hour version, but I would prefer a sense of continuity and I am willing to set my personal preferences aside to keep a coherence on the characters and continue with the last iteration previously published.

But most important, keep Bendis away from them.
    The post Zero Hour Legion would also be my personal choice to restart. They're fairly faithful to the original stories, however, they modernized some concepts., and the DnA version was definitively a look to the future. With a 90's take, it's more diversive (Kid Quantum, Karate Kid, the isniuations that Inisible Kid may be gay, the increased number of truely allien members, such as Projectra, gates, Monstress, etc...), which should please some. They all seem to have more distinctive personalities. And, the return to it, might be an oportunity to correct some storylines that didn't work, or that work better in another way (I'd fiix Garth's arm, maybe bring back Leviathan, I'd make Wildfire and Timber Wolf ressemble more their previous versions, have Jan be back, etc...).
    And yes, definitely keep Bendis away from them.

Peace

I really liked Kid Quantum and felt she would've been a perfect member for the Levitz Legion.

Levitz Legion had Tyroc, Invisible Kid II, Karate Kid II, Dawnstar, XS, Dragonwing and Harmonia.
    Element Lad was suspected of being gay, while Light Lass and Shrinking Violet were pretty much all but confirmed to be a couple in the last Levitz run.

I'd add Kid Quantum and Gear from the DnA run. They were good additions to the team (as was Gates, who did make it into the Levitz Legion).
    I liked Shikari also, but she was too obvious of a Dawnstar proxy, so she couldn't fit on the team.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I really liked Kid Quantum and felt she would've been a perfect member for the Levitz Legion.
    Indeed.

Levitz Legion had Tyroc, Invisible Kid II, Karate Kid II, Dawnstar, XS, Dragonwing and Harmonia.
    Element Lad was suspected of being gay, while Light Lass and Shrinking Violet were pretty much all but confirmed to be a couple in the last Levitz run.
    That is a story I would like to see expanded.

I'd add Kid Quantum and Gear from the DnA run. They were good additions to the team (as was Gates, who did make it into the Levitz Legion).
    I liked Shikari also, but she was too obvious of a Dawnstar proxy, so she couldn't fit on the team.
    With a little imagination you can give her some tweeks to make her different. I would like to see Jeckie the serpent again or at least her species.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-06-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

My Legion will always be the original Legion. I also like the Legionnaires that came out of it. If the classic Legion is not coming back perhaps it is tie to relaunch L.E.G.I.O.N. instead. It seems to have worked for Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

And Chemical Kid, Glorith and, IIRC, Danielle Foccault/Computo was foreshadowed to be in the wings, for even more diversity. 'Not enough non-white faces' was *hardly* a problem. At least eight to choose from, and then Reboot added more options, like Kid Quantum II, XS, Catspaw and Dragonmage. I'm not in love with every single one of those diverse characters (I could live without Catspaw, for instance), but there's still no need at all to be racebending any of the old white folk, when there's an entire bench of diverse options just sitting there, waiting to be called onto the field.

I'd also want some focus on Gates and Tellus, two of the more visibly non-humanoid Legionnaires.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And Chemical Kid, Glorith and, IIRC, Danielle Foccault/Computo was foreshadowed to be in the wings, for even more diversity. 'Not enough non-white faces' was *hardly* a problem. At least eight to choose from, and then Reboot added more options, like Kid Quantum II, XS, Catspaw and Dragonmage. I'm not in love with every single one of those diverse characters (I could live without Catspaw, for instance), but there's still no need at all to be racebending any of the old white folk, when there's an entire bench of diverse options just sitting there, waiting to be called onto the field.

I'd also want some focus on Gates and Tellus, two of the more visibly non-humanoid Legionnaires.
    And Quislet! Don't forget Quislet!

(Side note: I always forget Quislet.)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Just don't make Projectra a snake again. Ever.

And don't kill off any members - at least for a while. Waid killed off Dream Girl in the second story arc. And one of the writers killed Colossal Boy fairly quickly too. Stop it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

And don't kill off any members - at least for a while. Waid killed off Dream Girl in the second story arc. And one of the writers killed Colossal Boy fairly quickly too. Stop it.
    Easy enough to just retire the ones you don't want to use. A large number of Legionnaires have built-in stuff they could be doing. Shadow Lass and Dream Girl, for instance, are pretty much already written into future leadership roles on their homeworlds (as Shadow Champion and High Seer, respectively). Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl have kids and have taken several leaves of absence to do the parenting thing. Cosmic Boy had *already* partially retired to operate at the Legion Academy alongside Bouncing Boy and Duplicate Girl. Various other members of the old guard could retire to take up roles on their homeworlds (Star Boy as planetary champion), or get into politics (Phantom Girl or Colossal Boy picking up where their mom's left off), or take on a more business role taking over a family company (Chameleon Boy and Sun Boy have family businesses they could transition into) or whatever, leaving a bunch of open slots for fresher faces and lesser-used members like Tyroc and Tellus, or 'newbies' from various continuities like Kid Quantum 2, Gazelle, Computo, Karate Kid 2, Glorith or Dragonwing.

Given that anyone killed will likely only reappear in the next reboot anyway, it's beyond meaningless to kill off a character at this point. Every character has fans, and nobody who has ever read a comic book in their life thinks that any 'shocking death' is going to last longer than a New Years resolution anyway. It's a lose-lose situation. No gain, and another segment of your already shrinking customerbase annoyed to no benefit.

Un-reboot back to a version of the original Legion that fans want.
    Diversity can easily be added. Bring in a new version of XS and Kid Quantum, establish Vi and Ayla are a couple, Jan is gay and can be with Sean. Use the new Invisible Kid.
    The Bendis Legion needs to be thrown away and forgotten.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I didn't mind the revamped look she got latter on when she was more human like, but yeah the total snake version with the little robot arms is like something a 4th grader would come up and think is "kewl".

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I didn't mind the revamped look she got latter on when she was more human like, but yeah the total snake version with the little robot arms is like something a 4th grader would come up and think is "kewl".

I also liked the revamped look, however, I loved the previous positive outlook of life of her "old self." Much more than the bitter person she became, after becoming "ugly", in her own eyes. Another change I desliked was giving Knetix a monstruous form, with very little personality. This, IMHO, was a downside of DnA's Legion. Though I loved the more "mature" take on the team and its adventures, they relly went out of their way to take out the most upbeat Legionnaries (Element Lad, Monstress, Projectra, Kinetix, etc...).

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    My Legion will always be the original Legion. I also like the Legionnaires that came out of it. If the classic Legion is not coming back perhaps it is tie to relaunch L.E.G.I.O.N. instead. It seems to have worked for Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Big L.E.G.I.O.N. fan here, but, for this to work, you'd have to find the perfect writer, capable of balancing big-screen action, top-notch characterization, political intrigue, etc..., and I can't think lof many that could do it nowadays. L.E.G.I.O.N. worked because they could find an equilibrium between Dox's ambition, the self-intrest of some of his people and the true blue heroism of others. That's hard to do. And the LSH is a completely different team.

Peace