Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Makes me wonder, though... If Kahn knew that Supergirl's sacrifice wouldn't matter anymore once Byrne revamped Superman, would she have let Levitz do it?
    Or would she still veto it to avoid stepping on Byrne's toes?

Granted, she could've let it through and have Levitz explain that Kara was really a construct or other race under the guise of 'Supergirl', with her continuing on as 'Sensor Girl'.
    Which would allow them to keep most of her history with the Legion and her relationship with Brainiac 5.

But then... this was Byrne, one of the powerhouse creators of the early '80s. Probably best to appease him to avoid having him just walk out after a few short months.
    Byrne never was, nor is, the most diplomatic creator. And in his perspective he wanted a more essential Superman, free of baggage. Was it for the best? Maybe not, but marked an era. However, I believe he said in some moment he did regret having erasing Superboy, and at least he was conscious of what erasing Superboy could mean for the Legion. And he was willing to work with Levitz to give the Legion a explanation, with the whole Pocket Universe from the Time Trapper. Maybe that aspect was not something Byrne encouraged but buit it was a path than the editor (Carlin?) choose to follow and stand for.
    I mean, several times we blame certain decisions on creators, when maybe the order or direction came from higher spheres. I even are willing to think than this last reboot was not an initiative of Bendis, but something than DiDio wanted to stablish: a teenage Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Right after Crisis, it made a lot more sense to shed Superman of a lot of baggage. That was supposed to be the point of Crisis. But DC wasn't able to fully commit to to the idea of really starting over.

1986 was a strange year...
    You know, with all the buzz about Tynion leaving Batman, it could be possible for the book being given to Bendis? If so, maybe then he could set free the Legion from his claws and they could be given to another writer who could return them to having personalities of their own.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Right after Crisis, it made a lot more sense to shed Superman of a lot of baggage. That was supposed to be the point of Crisis. But DC wasn't able to fully commit to to the idea of really starting over.
    I think it was more the fact that the writers who took over after Byrne started slipping back in too many of the dumb silver age elements the reboot had worked so hard to shed.