View Poll Results: Do You Want a Batman Movie That Has A Robin Again?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want it. Batman Should Have A Robin

27 72.97%
  • No. I don’t want it. Batman works best alone cinematically

3 8.11%
  • I’m Good Either Way

7 18.92%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Although hopefully people don't whine about not seeing Bruce's parents getting shot like they did with Uncle Ben and the last Spider-man movies.
    I can agree that we dont need an origin story or if we do, REALLY quick one during the opening. Though I think a lot of people just have a problem with how little Ben seemed to impact this new Spider-Mans journey compared to Tony Stark.

Batman and Robin Live Action?
    No. Robin doesn't really work in the real world. It makes Batman into a child abuser ( pretty much) plus, there's no way a kid can do what robin does in the comics. No matter how well trained he is, a 100 pound kid is not going to be able to beat a room full of grown men in any realistic way.

Batman and Robin animated? Hell yeah.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    No. Robin doesn't really work in the real world. It makes Batman into a child abuser ( pretty much) plus, there's no way a kid can do what robin does in the comics. No matter how well trained he is, a 100 pound kid is not going to be able to beat a room full of grown men in any realistic way.

He wasnt exactly a child in Batman Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Either would be easy to do, you either do a couple solo films and then introduce Dick via cribbing from Dark Victory or Robin Year One or you use Ra's and Talia in the first film and then introduce Damian some point after that.

Either way would be pretty awesome in my eyes.
    Ya id love to see them pull it off that way. You get the right actor to play Damian it could be amazing.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Hit Girl didn't look unrealistic to me, so I don't see why Robin would.

I mean, nothing Batman does, no matter how well trained or armed is realistic either, and nobody bats an eye about him in live action. This is just something you just kind of accept as being part of the fictional world or just move on.

Most superheroes in general don't work in the real world, including Batman. So singling out Robin is an odd choice. If you mean live action, well;

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It can work as long as people remember that Batman and Robin are superheroes and Robin was created for kid and not asking for realism all the time

"but it's not realistic for Batman to use a kid to fight against crime..." Shut up. It's comic. Be a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJustMetMartin View Post
    Of course it can work, anything can if done right. I'd love to see a Batman and Robin film, and I don't really understand why DC and WB seem to want to ruin the IP of Robin.

If you think of superhero sidekicks, you think of Robin. If you see a yellow R, you think of Robin. It's actually amazing how ingrained Robin is with the general public, utilizing that should be a priority for DC but for some reason they won't.
    This is THE answer. Of course it can work if done well. Robin isn't some embarrassing part of the Batman saga that should be ignored. He's all about Batman having something in his life that gives it meaning beyond crime fighting. I'm not saying he has to wear red and be called Robin but he should show up and NOT as someone already full grown or close.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Most superheroes in general don't work in the real world, including Batman. So singling out Robin is an odd choice. If you mean live action, well;

exactly. Batman is not going to beat a dozen opponents and dodge bullets *realistically*.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    But first DC needs to figure out what the **** they're doing with their live action Batmen lol
    They do - Affleck seems to be on his way out (or at least all rumors are Flash will be his last Bat-outing), Keaton will be the mentor to one or more of the younger heroes in the DCEU in a sort of old man Bruce from Batman Beyond role (smart money is on him showing up in Batgirl), and Pattinson will be their solo movie Batman. Just because WB will have more than 1 actor portraying Batman doesn't mean they don't have a plan.

Before we get to Robin, I need them to pick a Batman, pick a continuity, and stick with it. Then after like two movies we can start talking Robins.
    Why should they? Why do we need only 1 Batman or 1 continuity?

For an animated movie, sure. For live action? No. And it has nothing to do with "realism" - nothing about Batman is realistic. But having a kid sidekick would by necessity force them to lighten up the tone of a live action movie more than I want from my Batman movie - we've already got the lighthearted action comedy angle covered by the entire MCU, so I'd like Batman films to be a bit darker and grittier just to provide a balance or counter to that. As much as people like to rag on the "dark and gritty and edgy" crap here, it really composes a too small portion of the superhero film landscape currently - and good/well done darker superhero films comprise an even smaller portion of that pie. And don't tell me that adding Robin doesn't exclude the film from being dark, because we know that's not likely to be true - it may hold in the comics, but trying to do the kid sidekick in a film that dark for a mainstream audience won't fly (and yes I know Hit Girl in Kick-Ass, but it wasn't mainstream really, it wasn't a famous property, it wasn't made by a major studio, and it was before the MCU came to completely dominate and define the genre for most people). And yes, I've seen season one of Titans where Robin got pretty dark and gritty at times - but a streaming show that aired originally on a niche comic book streaming site is far from being mainstream.

Keeping Batman solo allows them to keep his films darker, and there's a lack of good dark superhero films as is. If anything, with Disney acquiring Fox and the rights to X-Men and Deadpool and Blade, that allowance for darker superhero films is only going to shrink even further. I love the MCU as much as the next guy, but I also like variety, there needs to be more than just action comedies in the genre. And I don't see Robin entering the movie and WB not wanting it to go lighter. We can argue over it, but I just don't see it. We need to allow the opportunity for films like The Dark Knight and Logan and Joker and what The Batman looks to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    For an animated movie, sure. For live action? No. And it has nothing to do with "realism" - nothing about Batman is realistic. But having a kid sidekick would by necessity force them to lighten up the tone of a live action movie more than I want from my Batman movie - we've already got the lighthearted action comedy angle covered by the entire MCU, so I'd like Batman films to be a bit darker and grittier just to provide a balance or counter to that. As much as people like to rag on the "dark and gritty and edgy" crap here, it really composes a too small portion of the superhero film landscape currently - and good/well done darker superhero films comprise an even smaller portion of that pie. And don't tell me that adding Robin doesn't exclude the film from being dark, because we know that's not likely to be true - it may hold in the comics, but trying to do the kid sidekick in a film that dark for a mainstream audience won't fly (and yes I know Hit Girl in Kick-Ass, but it wasn't mainstream really, it wasn't a famous property, it wasn't made by a major studio, and it was before the MCU came to completely dominate and define the genre for most people). And yes, I've seen season one of Titans where Robin got pretty dark and gritty at times - but a streaming show that aired originally on a niche comic book streaming site is far from being mainstream.

Keeping Batman solo allows them to keep his films darker, and there's a lack of good dark superhero films as is. If anything, with Disney acquiring Fox and the rights to X-Men and Deadpool and Blade, that allowance for darker superhero films is only going to shrink even further. I love the MCU as much as the next guy, but I also like variety, there needs to be more than just action comedies in the genre. And I don't see Robin entering the movie and WB not wanting it to go lighter. We can argue over it, but I just don't see it. We need to allow the opportunity for films like The Dark Knight and Logan and Joker and what The Batman looks to be.
    I don't think Robin precludes a Batman film from still being serious given the precedent in the Arkham games, cartoons, animated movies, and yeah, Titans because I think that's still valid no matter where it first premiered. Just having one character with a more lighthearted or contrasting viewpoint doesn't necessarily need to take over or derail the tone in my opinion.

Of course I also don't think Batman films need to be kept as quintessentially dark moving forward. If anything I want variety in Batman films.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Robin precludes a Batman film from still being serious given the precedent in the Arkham games, cartoons, animated movies, and yeah, Titans because I think that's still valid no matter where it first premiered. Just having one character with a more lighthearted or contrasting viewpoint doesn't necessarily need to take over or derail the tone in my opinion.
    Sorry, but I disagree - the Arkham games are video games and gamers tend to like darker/more violent anyways, plus again different medium than live action. By cartoons I assume you mean the animated movies aimed at an older niche audience, which again is different - if you mean series, then I really disagree because I don't consider any of the cartoons that dark. And no, I don't consider Titans valid, it's still a very niche series with a relatively small audience, smaller than a CW show I'm gonna guess - never mind that it's post his time as Batman's sidekick. Sure, you're right in that it doesn't necessarily need to take over or derail the tone - but even though it doesn't necessarily need to, odds are that WB execs will disagree. Live action blockbuster movies are much, much bigger deals than everything else you've listed combined, so there's a lot more hands getting in the pie, a lot more chefs in the kitchen - basically the odds of some executive or producer or whoever saying "We can't show a kid in danger and have such a dark tone, it will bother the audience too much! We can only do one or the other, so lighten it up!" goes up tremendously. So yeah, there's no reason it can't be done, but there's every reason to believe that it won't be.

Of course I also don't think Batman films need to be kept as quintessentially dark moving forward. If anything I want variety in Batman films.
    Of course the films don't need to be kept so dark, I'm clearly only speaking of my own preference, my own hopes and desires, yours will clearly differ from mine. However, I disagree with the last bit - you may want variety in Batman films, but I want variety in the superhero genre as a whole, and if Batman becomes lighter we'd lose out on variety, because the vast majority of these films are already lighter. Most superhero films are either part of the MCU, or are trying to copy the MCU, so most follow the quippy action comedy route. The films that differ from that lightness are a super teeny tiny minority to begin with, and it will only shrink further with the loss of Fox getting bought by Disney. That makes Batman and related properties one of the only alternatives to that lighter fare we have. So while you might prefer a lighter take on Batman, and while that might provide variety to Batman films as a whole, it'd just further cement the lack of variety of the genre itself even further. That means if someone wants a darker tone superhero movie, they'd have to look into some really obscure and mostly unknown indie films like Super, Defendor, and...the fact I ran out of list at two kind of illustrates the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Either would be easy to do, you either do a couple solo films and then introduce Dick via cribbing from Dark Victory or Robin Year One or you use Ra's and Talia in the first film and then introduce Damian some point after that.

Either way would be pretty awesome in my eyes.
    The next question is what for horrible fate awaits him...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    For an animated movie, sure. For live action? No. And it has nothing to do with "realism" - nothing about Batman is realistic. But having a kid sidekick would by necessity force them to lighten up the tone of a live action movie more than I want from my Batman movie - we've already got the lighthearted action comedy angle covered by the entire MCU, so I'd like Batman films to be a bit darker and grittier just to provide a balance or counter to that.
    Adding a younger side-kick doesn't immediately give you Batman Forever or a Marvel-style film. I can work but would require a bit more finesse to balance correctly.

Titans has a tone fitting for the Snyder-verse and features a perfectly fine Robin, both the older Dick and then Jason. Dismissing it as a niche streaming property doesn't disprove that it works.

Personally, while I'm very excited for The Batman, I am kind of tired of overly violent and dark Batman movies. It's boring and expected now and I think adding Robin would be a chance to do something different and more complex with the character. Maybe he could even go a whole movie without killing someone.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!