Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I know I'm in the minority (here at least, I don't think I'm actually in the real minority), but I'm a really big fan of the New Star Trek shows. If my credibility needs to be established, I've been a fan of Star Trek all my life, which works out to first run of The Next Generation. I've seen every episode of every series, multiple times in most cases. That said, I don't think they're perfect and a lot of the Kurtzman-isms are a little annoying. I'm pretty neutral on this news, but this is a good indication they've been successful, which I like.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I know I'm in the minority (here at least, I don't think I'm actually in the real minority), but I'm a really big fan of the New Star Trek shows. If my credibility needs to be established, I've been a fan of Star Trek all my life, which works out to first run of The Next Generation. I've seen every episode of every series, multiple times in most cases. That said, I don't think they're perfect and a lot of the Kurtzman-isms are a little annoying. I'm pretty neutral on this news, but this is a good indication they've been successful, which I like.
    It's very much the other way around, he wouldn't be getting a big pay out if "people who enjoyed the shows" was a minority segment of the viewership.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    What's really funny is that Trek fans are going to watch Trek no matter what. Meanwhile the only non-Trek show this guy did (Clarice) bombed. The Trek show everyone wanted to see (Strange New Worlds) was the one he didn't want to do. He wanted to do a show about Section 31.
    LOL @ the idea that millions of people spend hundreds of millions on something they want to hate-watch.

Are we really that cynical of people liking other things?

Enterprise proved that there's a limit to what Trekkies will watch. Avoid those mistakes and you're already in pretty good shape.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

As a Star Trek fan since the 70s, I lost interest a little ways into Enterprise, and never got it back.

I think I'm just bored with Starfleet and Starfleet-adjacent stuff. I might get back in if they ever do a show about independent operators in this 'verse, along the lines of Firefly or GotG.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    LOL @ the idea that millions of people spend hundreds of millions on something they want to hate-watch.

Are we really that cynical of people liking other things?

Enterprise proved that there's a limit to what Trekkies will watch. Avoid those mistakes and you're already in pretty good shape.
    Bwa-Haha... "It isn't as bad as Enterprise." The funny thing is it used to be "It isn't as bad as Voyager. Pretty soon Discovery and Picard will be competing with eachother. Also, never underestimate the entertainment value one can gain from a good hate watch. Movies like "The Room" are famous for a reason.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

^I think Prodigy might be heading in that direction, although it still has hologram Janeway.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Also, never underestimate the entertainment value one can gain from a good hate watch.
    If you're paying money to watch something you hate, you have no one to blame but yourself when they keep making things you hate.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's very much the other way around, he wouldn't be getting a big pay out if "people who enjoyed the shows" was a minority segment of the viewership.
    You're completely right. To be honest, I know a ton of Trek fans in my personal life and I don't know a single one that doesn't like Picard or Discovery or both. Really the only hate I encounter is on the internet.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Getting a big payout means he's a good business man. It doesn't necessarily has to do with his projects actually being successful. The WWE is making hand over fist in business deals with Fox and NBC but they are bleeding fans and their popularity is at an all time low.

Not to mention that a bunch of new Trek projects have been announced with talent attached to them and all of them amount to nothing. There doesn't seem to be any interest in greenlighting new projects beyond what's already available.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Oh, look a thread by one of those "I'm a true fan, the new stuff is crap" type posters who doesn't realize his screaming minority voice, no matter how hard he types/screams, is still just a minority.
    One not worth the time.
    Go cry while you watch Amok Time, unmastered version.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

This reminds me of the way a certain group of people talk about Kathleen Kennedy. A lot of people often think a piece of media is bad and therefore it failed, but alas, no.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Getting a big payout means he's a good business man. It doesn't necessarily has to do with his projects actually being successful. The WWE is making hand over fist in business deals with Fox and NBC but they are bleeding fans and their popularity is at an all time low.

Not to mention that a bunch of new Trek projects have been announced with talent attached to them and all of them amount to nothing. There doesn't seem to be any interest in greenlighting new projects beyond what's already available.
    Chances are like Kennedy no one else wants the job of trying to fix Star Trek so they don't have much else choice. If others do enjoy Discovery though that's fine to me, I just got tired of the fact they were gushing about how diverse the bridge crew was but the vast majority of them you had no idea what their names and backstories were.

It's likely the fact that everything post Enterprise has been forced to be done under the alternate Star Trek license because of the original Viacom split and how that still isn't able to be rectified since the re-merger that gives some people reason to say how none of it is canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    One not worth the time.
    Glad I was worth your time! If you are going to climb up onto a high horse try not to fall off. We all have opinions. No need to put words in my mouth.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-02-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Bwa-Haha... "It isn't as bad as Enterprise." The funny thing is it used to be "It isn't as bad as Voyager. Pretty soon Discovery and Picard will be competing with eachother.
    And they'll be getting the "they were better than we thought initially" reassessment that stuff almost always gets, in all likelyhood.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Bwa-Haha... "It isn't as bad as Enterprise." The funny thing is it used to be "It isn't as bad as Voyager. Pretty soon Discovery and Picard will be competing with eachother.
    The thing is that (apart from TOS) the first 2 or so seasons of all of the old Star trek Shows were pretty weak.

Even "Enterprise" got actually better in the later seasons, but by than it had probably already lost to many viewers.