Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think I'm just bored with Starfleet and Starfleet-adjacent stuff. I might get back in if they ever do a show about independent operators in this 'verse, along the lines of Firefly or GotG.
    That's basically Picard, but to me that's actually one reason why Picard doesn't really feel like Star Trek, and more like one of the tons of shows that did the rag tag bunch of misfits on a space ship thing.

BANNED

Kurtzman is an effective manager of content, delivering his shows on schedule, and in the corporate views of things that’s all that really matters now. Get a mediocre product out the door and on time and demonstrate you can bring in viewers and grow the product line of content. Content. Content. Content. Remember that word.

All we can hope for now is some quiet corner of the Trekverse where a ‘boldly going’ show or movie might fly under the radar and be allowed to do something of quality. It happened with DS9 when Trek was all over the place in the 90s. It COULD, theoretically, happen again. Fingers crossed.

But Most should not be too upset about this news. If it weren’t Kurtzman, it would be someone else delivering roughly the same quality. This is CBS/Paramount, folks. This might as well be news from the middle management at General Mills. They make the Cheerios of shows there.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-03-2021 at 02:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The thing is that (apart from TOS) the first 2 or so seasons of all of the old Star trek Shows were pretty weak.

Even "Enterprise" got actually better in the later seasons, but by than it had probably already lost to many viewers.
    Season 2 of TNG was actually very good, a huge improvement from season 1. Discovery seems to be getting worse, I watched season 3 and cannot remember most of it even if the story was generic. I do remember some parts though.

Michael arrives in the future, she waits a year for the crew to arrive.

there was an event called the burn

she meets this Book fella and his big cat and they fall in love even if there was no build up to it, then there was a tribute Spock Episode, then her mum appeared again.

Saru was captain, then tilly, then a Orion female villain , who Michael defeats, now she is Captain.

there was a non-binary couple on the show, who don't have any real purpose on the show but to make very liberal left wing political statements. the burn theory is resolved to mediocre reactions from fans.

Captain Georgio aka Space Hitler as fans have called her got a 2 part mirror episode that was terrible and badly acted and that was supposed to set up a Section 31 TV series for her. This is just exhaustingly bad and that is all I can remember from season 3.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-03-2021 at 02:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Season 2 of TNG was actually very good, a huge improvement from season 1.
    Ok I has been a long time since I watched TNG, and it is hard to me to remember what exactly happened in the different seasons. But still all these shows got better in the later seasons, and were pretty bad when they started.

BANNED

Ok I has been a long time since I watched TNG, and it is hard to me to remember what exactly happened in the different seasons. But still all these shows got better in the later seasons, and were pretty bad when they started.
    Even if this was so, Star Trek Discovery does not look as if it can be improved and many fans all point the blame to Kurtzman, who just got a 160 million dollar deal.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

That's basically Picard, but to me that's actually one reason why Picard doesn't really feel like Star Trek, and more like one of the tons of shows that did the rag tag bunch of misfits on a space ship thing.
    Picard is a Starfleet admiral, though, whom we know from TNG and several movies. I'd like a show that has no connections to Starfleet at all. Not necessarily the "rogues with hearts of gold on the run from the law" thing, but just people exploring without the constraints (and story conveniences) of a military connection.

They don't need to be ragtag and they don't need to be misfits... I just want them to be free of ranks, prime directives, and boring-ass uniforms.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Glad I was worth your time! If you are going to climb up onto a high horse try not to fall off. We all have opinions. No need to put words in my mouth.
    ...but he's not really wrong. This is indeed evidence that your opinion is in the minority and there's no arguing that point, it's just an objective point. It doesn't mean you're wrong to dislike the new trek shows, we all have our own subjective tastes but it does mean that your dislike isn't something that's shared by most viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...but he's not really wrong. This is indeed evidence that your opinion is in the minority and there's no arguing that point, it's just an objective point. It doesn't mean you're wrong to dislike the new trek shows, we all have our own subjective tastes but it does mean that your dislike isn't something that's shared by most viewers.
    Evidence? You mean the streaming numbers no one releases? We don't know how many people are watching the show. What matters here is content, content and more content because the average person has said that they only want to pay for three streaming services. It's a test of endurance. That is why in my first post I took the time to say "Don't hate the player, hate the game"

Kurttzman has worked on things like "The Island" "Transformers" "Spider-Man 2" and the The Mummy. Yeah, The Island flopped and he was sued for stealing ideas and settled out of court. The Mummy...let's not talk about the Mummy. Transformers was a hit. Spider-Man 2...Uhh...well...I think Garfield was the best Spider-Man he was just let down by the writing.

Also all the other big name showrunners have been snapped up, even the Game Of Thrones guys still got huge deals even after they ran out of GRRM'S material and screwed the pooch.

Knowing the right people. Have the right resume. Very atypical environment brought on due to the streaming wars. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

I mean I am in the camp of I liked discovery for what it was ( not your normal star trek show that is for sure) And like Picard till they made him a robot. But if these shows are making Paramount money which either they are or paramount is just dumping money, which makes no sense ( but who knows lol), then they must be successful to a degree. If I don't really love them that doesnt mean they are not successful. I accept that.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean I am in the camp of I liked discovery for what it was ( not your normal star trek show that is for sure) And like Picard till they made him a robot. But if these shows are making Paramount money which either they are or paramount is just dumping money, which makes no sense ( but who knows lol),
    Or maybe using Paramount+ to clean money for cartels? Just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    then they must be successful to a degree. If I don't really love them that doesnt mean they are not successful. I accept that.
    Thanks for the comment.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Or maybe using Paramount+ to clean money for cartels? Just kidding

Thanks for the comment.
    I mean I know you were kidding but who the heck knows now a days

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Evidence? You mean the streaming numbers no one releases? We don't know how many people are watching the show. What matters here is content, content and more content because the average person has said that they only want to pay for three streaming services. It's a test of endurance. That is why in my first post I took the time to say "Don't hate the player, hate the game"

Kurttzman has worked on things like "The Island" "Transformers" "Spider-Man 2" and the The Mummy. Yeah, The Island flopped and he was sued for stealing ideas and settled out of court. The Mummy...let's not talk about the Mummy. Transformers was a hit. Spider-Man 2...Uhh...well...I think Garfield was the best Spider-Man he was just let down by the writing.

Also all the other big name showrunners have been snapped up, even the Game Of Thrones guys still got huge deals even after they ran out of GRRM'S material and screwed the pooch.

Knowing the right people. Have the right resume. Very atypical environment brought on due to the streaming wars. Don't hate the player, hate the game.
    I find Occam's razor works best, and in that case the idea that he's getting paid because his bosses are pleased with his performance is by far simpler and thus more likely to be true than the fantasy you've created.

Two had more of the crew finding their proper places-Worf at tactical, Geordi in engineering (TNG S1 had a sort of revolving door of chief engineers), Riker with the beard (Although it also had Pulaski who was pretty much just female McCoy) and the cast seemed generally more comfortable. Also it of course introduced the Borg. It did however have some pretty bad episodes here and there, one episode is a clip show (The season finale, no less!) and another is an unused "Phase II" script, due to the late 80's writers strike
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth