Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why Does Diana Call Superman 'Kal'?

This thought occurred to me today and it's been bugging me.

Has any rational been provided in the comics?

Does she consider 'Kal' Superman's true self?

Does she feel more of a connection with his alien side since she is from a fantastical far off culture herself?

Is it because Superman asked her to?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

When has she called him that ? Because other comics I see her calling him Clark

I think it's an informal name (as opposed to only ever referring to him as "Superman") that doesn't give away his secret identity.

But I think it depends on the writer. Some have her do it to denote their closeness, some have her do it to portray her as pompous.

Think it was popularized because that's what she called him in Kingdom Come. Don't think it's ever been explained why she does it elsewhere.

Like what Guy McNights said seems to range from a sign of friendship (like Bruce calling him Clark) or to portray her as aloof/pompous/formal

Spectacular Member

She did it in Justice League movie too

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The versions that do call him Kal, I always saw it as Diana seeing it as Supermans "true" sense of person...if that makes sense. She saw Clark as a false name and Kal as who he really is.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It lets her be familiar in the field and reminds him of his heritage that some of his other friends (Bruce) downplay.

Everyone calls him Clark and reminds him of Kansas. She's one of the few who reminds him he's loved as an alien too.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It lets her be familiar in the field and reminds him of his heritage that some of his other friends (Bruce) downplay.

Everyone calls him Clark and reminds him of Kansas. She's one of the few who reminds him he's loved as an alien too.
    I could roll with that.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Because Batman already called dibs on "Clark" and she wants to feel special.

Diana is the Goddess of “TRUTH” and with their relationship supposedly being of honesty, she knows the truth and the truth is that Superman is Kal-El. That’s his birth name. He flies around with the family crest, using the powers. Sure he was raised as Clark Kent, the human, but he isn’t just that. It is a reminder of who he actually is and to respect where he actually comes from.
    Superman is never written to question it either, knowing she is right and it does seem to become as a special thing between them.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

This is actually something I wonder myself too, I remember a page on the Superman and Wonder Woman appreciation thread with Diana calling Superman Kal (Earth-1 story). Post-crisis, I think Phil Jimenez had a reason for it. Wonder Woman (1987) #170. I'll update with the page soon.

ETAA: Just re-read the issue. Either my memory is bad or a page was missing. I'll go with bad memory.

So, I'll go with the person who mentioned KC, probably the best explanation.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 03-07-2022 at 12:09 AM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    She did it in Justice League movie too
    Which was the weirdest thing ever, like... He had just learned he was an alien and barely used it or others called him Kal-El. Did you even expect him to respond to that name?

Well, in many continuities it's public knowledge that Superman's birth name is Kal-El. That he's also Clark Kent is the secret. So it doesn't really matter if Diana calls him Kal in public.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Yep that’s my personal head canon. She calls him that to gently remind him of where he came from.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yep that’s my personal head canon. She calls him that to gently remind him of where he came from.
    Yeah, but not in a "you're not from here" way so much as "everyone wants you to only be human, but you're Kryptonian too, and both are what make you the person we love."

Diana's probably the best friend most people have even if she's not their best friend, so to speak.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.