Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default People hated Heroes in Crisis, has that change?

When Heroes in Crisis hit there was a massive amount of hate thrown its way. Character assassination of Wally being the main point of contention.

But with the revelation of The Price and Other Stories, Tales from the Dark Multiverse, Flash Forward and what I think is particularly exceptional stories in Infinite Crisis 0, 1, 2 and The Secret Files.

Are your opinions changing?

For me Wally coming up as a murder was an exciting plot point that I thought DC could get pretty creative with...

Turns out what they've done is way more exciting and imaginative then I ever thought.

I'm particularly interested...Has anyones views changed from hating the story point to becoming intrigued by the ongoing story or flat out loving the ongoing plot.

I'm interested in some polite discussion!?
    Last edited by Menacer; 08-01-2021 at 10:59 PM.

Yes, it has changed - now some people just loathe it.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I hate it.
    Detest it.
    Loathe it.
    King was in such a hurry to **** all over Wally West he forgot to bother offering a coherent storyline.
    It was originally offered as a murder mystery and a look at superhero PTSD. We got none of it.
    But hey, the art was nice.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I hate it.
    Detest it.
    Loathe it.
    King was in such a hurry to **** all over Wally West he forgot to bother offering a coherent storyline.
    It was originally offered as a murder mystery and a look at superhero PTSD. We got none of it.
    But hey, the art was nice.
    Have you guys been following the stories that I listed that expand on this wally storyline???

Or you only read HiC and just dont want to explore further?

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Have you guys been following the stories that I listed that expand on this wally storyline???
    Clean up of a toxic waste spill doesn’t mean that spill suddenly becomes a good thing.

One could argue that the only good thing to come out of Heroes in Crisis was that the backlash was SO severe that it inadvertently hastened Wally West's return from the lame-ass limbo he'd been wandering in.

I would not make that argument, but one could.

Other than that, well... I don't think you're going to find too many people coming around to the notion of HiC as an "underrated classic." If anything, I'd say that appreciation for HiC has actually diminished over time.

In the spirit of this NOT turning into another "boy howdy, that Heroes In Crisis sure stunk up the joint" thread, allow me to pose a broader question:

Is there a DC story arc/mini-series/whatever that you didn't like initially, and was generally not well-received at the time, that you've come around to thinking "y'know, it wasn't THAT bad?"

Identity Crisis?
    Cry for Justice?
    War of the Gods?
    Genesis?
    Extreme Justice?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Or you only read HiC and just dont want to explore further?
    Mate, I've read every issue of the Flash DC has published.
    Everything that has come AFTER HiC has simply been DC trying to unscrew the pooch.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Everything that has come AFTER HiC has simply been DC trying to unscrew the pooch.
    Youve read Infinite Frontier 0, 1 ,2 ?

I dunno if I'll get to replying to everyone in this thread.

Personally I was really happy to have major story arc surrounding wally west, the flash, and found the issues related to roy in the price really touching.

My general statement to everyone in the thread is I feel sorry that people arent having a good time... I read hundreds and hundreds of issues a year and easily 90% of what I read I find really enjoyable page turning material.

Ultimately hopefully you find materials that excite you to read.

When HiC first came out all I could think was how was DC gonna get out of this, how were they going to spin this controversial story. I couldn't be more happy with how they've been playing it and Infinite Frontier 0 and the limited series 1,2 of 6 out so far and IF Secret Files and Bones investigating has been a lot of fun.

I feel past events have been so focused on superman and then batman with metal and death metal that Infinite Frontier shining a spot light on The Flash really is fun for me.

As I have more time I'll try and respond to more of your posts.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Well, it's totally unscrewed as of the last Flash annual. DC clearly wants to forget the story and move on. Roy Harper is back. There's an easy way to bring back the rest of the dead characters, too. Say that they returned when the multiverse restarted. Have Solstice and Hotspot turn up at Titans Academy, for instance.

DC wanted to do another Identity Crisis and failed. The end.

Let it go already.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes, it has changed - now some people just loathe it.
    Loathe it.
    Wow, the very next post - called it!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wow, the very next post - called it!
    This isnt useful or polite discussion.

This is more along trolling lines.

Do you follow Dc?

The over all series of events and Crisis? Particularly new52, rebirth, metal, no justice, justice League by ss, heroes in Crisis, the price, doom war, hell arisen, death metal, future state, Infinite frontier series's...

Are you following the story or just adding useless hater comments?

I was hoping for more coherent intelligent points...

Have you been reading the books?

What they did after HiC seems more like a reaction to its reactions, then planned fruition. Flash Forward was clearly last minute filler to buy time so that they can try to fit things into Snyder's Metal plans. And pretty much everything was prepping for 5G, which was untimely nixed last minute and they had to quickly come up with alternatives. So honestly my opinion has really changed. I think they liked the idea of the story, but didn't really know where it would it go, and has since been trying to sweep it under the rug and appease who they can.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-01-2021 at 11:47 PM.

This isnt useful or polite discussion.

This is more along trolling lines.

Do you follow Dc?

The over all series of events and Crisis? Particularly new52, rebirth, metal, no justice, justice League by ss, heroes in Crisis, the price, doom war, hell arisen, death metal, future state, Infinite frontier series's...

Are you following the story or just adding useless hater comments?

I was hoping for more coherent intelligent points...

Have you been reading the books?
    I buy several trades a year, some in continuity, some not, following reviews mostly to avoid the stuff I wouldn't like - I've no local comic book shop, and shipping and handling through Amazon is too pricey (I don't order enough to find Prime worthwhile). Limited funds, so I really just get the wow books everyone talks about as good - otherwise I use this forum to keep up on the news and going-ons. However, something I should note - this isn't trolling, nor is this a useless hater comment. It was a useless comment, but trolling and hating it was not - it's humor. Might not have landed with you, but it amused me and no offense was meant. I'm not going to apologize for it either, because it is so harmless and innocent that if it did offend I feel it speaks more to you. Please lighten up, no thread on this forum is 100% useful debate. Sometimes we're going to post trash, or little jokes we think are funny, or just vent our frustrations. And as long as no one is insulting and everyone remains civil, that is fine and expected. You don't have to find my posts funny as I intended them to be, but if you think they were meant as trolling or rude then you really need to check out the rest of the internet where people gladly spew vile at each other for the fun of it. But hey, you called me out - no, I haven't read all these books, I'm not in a position to follow every book and stay current on every new issue's revelation - I guess my opinion and posts are all just **** then.

Edit: Also, I didn't mean anything by my post, but I believe you meant yours - read very much like a "I'm a true DC fan, you're not" slight against me, so I'm bowing out of your thread and you need not worry about me responding to you in any other thread again - clearly we've nothing to say to each other.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-02-2021 at 12:04 AM.

When Heroes in Crisis hit there was a massive amount of hate thrown its way. Character assassination of Wally being the main point of contention.

But with the revelation of The Price and Other Stories, Tales from the Dark Multiverse, Flash Forward and what I think is particularly exceptional stories in Infinite Crisis 0, 1, 2 and The Secret Files.

Are your opinions changing?

For me Wally coming up as a murder was an exciting plot point that I thought DC could get pretty creative with...

Turns out what they've done is way more exciting and imaginative then I ever thought.

I'm particularly interested...Has anyones views changed from hating the story point to becoming intrigued by the ongoing story or flat out loving the ongoing plot.

I'm interested in some polite discussion!?
    Like so very much of that regime's product, HiC had great art.

There endeth any positives to be extolled.