Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    If anything, one of the big story telling complaints is how Wally does something that's stupid and outside of his skillset, the opposite of powerlevel wanking him.

"How'd Wally perform computer programming feats that should frankly be impossible, on an AI created by Bruce Wayne, one of the smartest men in the world?" "He's very fast."

Or, like, how'd Wally trick the world's greatest detective and his uncle Barry, a genius forensics scientist?

well he's very fast and, uh, knows how Batman and Barry look at crime scenes

It was not good writing.
    Yeah.

Murder mysteries require details. Not some broad, sweeping statement like "I know how they think."

Astonishing Member

Should had been published under the Black Label.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What is stopping you?

I mean the title of the thread is asking for opinions.
    Nothing, not the point.

In all my time reading comics, Heroes in Crisis haters have been the most inflammatory, hostile people I've ever seen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Nothing, not the point.

In all my time reading comics, Heroes in Crisis haters have been the most inflammatory, hostile people I've ever seen.
    You must not have been reading long

Also, given the depiction of mental health, a good deal is earned. This isn't people complaining about a female character being stronger than a male character, it's a poor attempt to address mental health issues with little thought applied.

It's really not. Also if you're seriously insinuating that we take a comic book's depiction of "mental health" as some sort of serious commentary on the real world, then that's far more alarming than people hating a book for the wrong reasons.

Ultimate Member

It's really not. Also if you're seriously insinuating that we take a comic book's depiction of "mental health" as some sort of serious commentary on the real world, then that's far more alarming than people hating a book for the wrong reasons.
    Just because it's a comic book doesn't mean it's not attempting to be serious commentary on the real world.

Again, how long have you been reading comics?

Even if it’s attempting to do so, there’s literally zero reason to accept it as such.

Even if it’s attempting to do so, there’s literally zero reason to accept it as such.
    Why not? The comic book medium is as valid as film, tv, etc.

Don’t get me wrong. The same thing goes for film and tv.
    Maybe if it’s a documentary or something, but otherwise.

It's marketed like that and King even said that the other medias has a wrong depiction of PTSD.

https://www.inverse.com/article/4998...talk-interview

Heroes in Crisis has yet to reveal the full extent of how it’s addressing the delicate subject of PTSD, but King notes how pop culture media “gets wrong” with trauma and anxiety. “It’s hard to describe narratively,” he admits, explaining that it’s never “1:1.” A traumatic episode with a helicopter won’t just give any person acrophobia.

“It’s like, you had this experience and it got to that part of your brain you can’t reach,” explains King. “You can’t get to it consciously. It’s almost below your conscious. You’ve had an experience in your life, it latched onto you, it latched onto your parents, onto your childhood. It got all stored somewhere you can’t get at, and the only way to get at that place is to just start rambling. Start talking. Bring it out. That’s what Heroes in Crisis is about.”

DC Comics’ ‘Heroes in Crisis’ Explores the Mental Health of Superheroes

https://www.theringer.com/2019/2/27/...n-wonder-woman
    Last edited by Drako; 08-05-2021 at 06:46 AM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Ultimate Member

I don't think I've seen anyone yet who accepts it as such. It's the dumpster fire ATTEMPT that people dislike

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    There's a vocal minority on the internet that sort of creates this bubble where their opinions are treated as fact.
    Most of the time when you speak to actual people at comic shops or cons they will actually say things like Infinite Crisis, Cry for Justice, or Countdown is what got them into comics
    Obviously those stories are not held with any type of esteem though so you have to take that for what its worth.
    Heroes in Crisis has amazing art and the premise is not a bad one
    The only fault fans can really craft around the story is what happened to Wally in the story

It was the type of fan reaction that I've come to expect from the internet fans and they didn't let me down. I mean in the grand scheme of things Wally was left no worse off than many other DC characters who have been subject to bad writing or status quo changes.
    He was even given his redemption story arc right after the series ended and barely spent any time in jail for his crimes. Then DC preceded to retcon everything away so that Wally was no longer culpable for any of his actions.

All of these types of things ironically serve to make the story worse in my mind and pointless but the Wally fans feel like the story was bad to begin with so this was just DC making a very good looking comic book that meant nothing.
    As a person who defends Cry for Justice to this day, I have to disagree with you. Wally being wildly mischaracterized is just one aspect of the dumpster fire that’s HiC. I won’t derail the thread to break down all the ways it’s terrible, but I also won’t fault anyone else who enjoyed it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    As a person who defends Cry for Justice to this day, I have to disagree with you.
    Now *there's* a potential thread derailer if ever I saw one

But I'll just smile and be on my merry way. Why? Because... JUSTICE!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Now *there's* a potential thread derailer if ever I saw one

But I'll just smile and be on my merry way. Why? Because... JUSTICE!
    It could have been worse; it could have been Amazons Attack!

No, sorry, no one likes that thing, not even the creator's mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It could have been worse; it could have been Amazons Attack!

No, sorry, no one likes that thing, not even the creator's mothers.
    I dunno... aside from the whole "Amazons killing children" thing (which absolutely should NOT be discounted), my memories of Amazons Attack are more along the lines of "dumb and incoherent" rather than "blatantly illogical character-destroying murderfest." I mean, was there any "permanent" damage inflicted by AA that wasn't almost immediately ignored?