Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Green Lantern #5 discussion

I'm bad with remembering various Lanterns so I'm sure that most of the Lanterns we saw were "names", but I'm not going to try and guess who each one was exactly. Anyway, key things that happened:

- Teen Lantern rushes to confront Sinesto and gets into a major fight against some military forces and 5 Yellow Lanterns. Surprising thing is that she manages to hold her own till mysterious Yellow Lantern (I suppose she is Jessica?) takes her out revealing that Teen Lantern is afraid of being alone.
    - Simon to the rescue. He gets there in a "green ball" and is wearing some Iron Man armour with GL logo on it. Not really a match for our mysterious Yellow Lantern, but she lets them get away before Sinesto arrives.
    - In second part of the story John organizes locals to leave the planet because slavers will return at some point again. They manage to reach the outpost that GLs built before going down.
    - Some female Lantern is mad at John for all this and we get a video message from Kilowog calling for help. Oh and around 1 year has passed for John.

I liked first half of the book better, because John's parts felt a bit like a recap. You know, this happened, then this happened so now he is here without much happening "now". That being said I'm not a fan of Teen Lantern so its not like I loved first part either. Another weird thing to me was that it looks like other Lanterns also decided to go for the same look as John? Is it going to be established as some sort of "classic" GL uniform that they all wore before getting new costumes?

On the very positive side I liked the action. Teen Lantern was shown to be real powerful, but at the same time it never felt like she had any chance of winning since Sinestro never even left his room. So to me it managed to show her as really powerful and at the same time show that you simply don't rush into Korugar without getting your ass kicked.

Most surprising thing about this run for me is that I really like Simon in this, while I never cared about him at all before. I feel like under better artists (sorry!) that panel where he emerges from green ball could become an iconic image for him. It just looks very cool to me, you can immediately see that it is a GL related character, but at the same time he looks very unique compared to other Lanterns. So yeah, if this thing gets cancelled due to low sales and brushed under the carpet I hope that Simon keeps this direction.
    Last edited by HsssH; 08-03-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Yeah that is Jessica Cruz, given how it’s teased she’s on the sinestro corps like future state and is able to recognize Simon that it’s without a doubt 100% Jessica Cruz. I also like seeing that he may he ring less but Simon is not out of the game, ready to jump in with battle armor to fight off sinestro and his corps, that takes some guts if you ask me. I guess it was good to see more of Keli, learn about her and who she is, also that she is extremely dangerous with her gauntlet.

As for the John stuff I think it’s getting into more of the situation that John is dealing with, he in fact has a fleet of ships, weaponry, a few running lantern rings, and a lot of people in his home base. I think this is the part where we start seeing more tactical side of the corps, that rings are a last measure considering how low they are on and that battle tactics will be important. Also hey it’s G’nort
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm not really sure how to feel about Yellow Lantern Jess. Seems like we're at a point where we're destroying the Corps. again and trying to differentiate everybody because there are too many human Earth GL's (even though she hasn't been an Earth GL that long in-universe and only a little more out of universe).

(I kind of wanted to see Sinestro make Keli realize how much she's a little fish in a big pond despite how powerful the gauntlet makes her).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not really sure how to feel about Yellow Lantern Jess. Seems like we're at a point where we're destroying the Corps. again and trying to differentiate everybody because there are too many human Earth GL's (even though she hasn't been an Earth GL that long in-universe and only a little more out of universe).

(I kind of wanted to see Sinestro make Keli realize how much she's a little fish in a big pond despite how powerful the gauntlet makes her).
    See I feel like Sinestro did that by not having to lift a finger. He never personally got up to fight her like he would Hal.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    See I feel like Sinestro did that by not having to lift a finger. He never personally got up to fight her like he would Hal.
    I get that, but I feel like a physical demonstration of how far out of her league she really was would have been kind of poignant after such a massive display of power.

I liked that Keli used her Young Justice teammates (Amethyst, Jinny Hex and Superboy) as constructs, as well as John.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So why was Jo on the cover when she wasn't featured in the issue at all.

The constructs were the highlight of this Issue and I liked how the confrontation with the Yellow Lanterns went. I really wasn't sure who the narrating Latern would be until the end. Very much looking forward to Jessica's story. It was also good to see "big brother "Simon in action.

John's part was very much an epilogue but I still enjoyed the character work. I'm guessing the woman that hit John is Anya? Could she like... not.

I'm also wondering what's up with the GL jackets everyone suddenly has. Maybe another clue that the Guardian's knew that something would happen to the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I feel the same way. It showed how unmoved he was by her presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I liked that Keli used her Young Justice teammates (Amethyst, Jinny Hex and Superboy) as constructs, as well as John.
    I really enjoyed that. While I didn't recognize Superboy right away, it became clearer when the second human construct was Amethyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    So why was Jo on the cover when she wasn't featured in the issue at all.
    Because for some reason editorial believes it's a marketable cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Because for some reason editorial believes it's a marketable cover?
    False advertising is never a good idea, especially with a franchise like GL where this has happened many times before and fans of different Lanterns were left disappointed.

I guess good thing that it is a cover with Jo so not that many fans will be angry.

Yeah but DC has been pushing her so it seems like a bit of an odd decision to leave her out of the issue entirely when she's the sole GL featured on the cover against the entire Sinestro Corps. Then again I guess by having John, her and Keli all in the book must have been them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. It's like "We'll finally have John headline his own book again, but we also want to push this and that character too, so we'll make it a GLC-book just named GL instead".
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-03-2021 at 09:35 AM.

BANNED

DC must have lost their minds to make the Green Lantern title about Teen Lantern. She is probably the worst thing about the book. It needs less of her. Not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    DC must have lost their minds to make the Green Lantern title about Teen Lantern. She is probably the worst thing about the book. It needs less of her. Not more.
    I mean it’s only half of one issue she takes over and it’s for plot reasons, ie she survived the corps explosion and is now on a war path.
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Goblin View Post
    I don't think Teen Lantern is an incredibly fascinating character, but she has a strong energy that helps push the rest of the book. She is like a little girl version of Guy Gardner that lost everything he ever had. Except for the relationship she has with Simon, which gives her a really strong nuance since she thinks he needs her protection more than she needs his.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I like Teen Lantern, so this issue worked great for me. I'm not sure what the plan with Jessica Cruz seems to be, as her whole shtick is overcoming her fears, not obsessing over them. I suspect this is one more editorial mandate that Thorne's been saddled with by editorial. Maybe he can make it work. I don't know. I'm enjoying the ride so far.

And, hell, Thorne's actually managed to make Simon Baz somewhat interesting. I really dug his Iron Man suit, which is a great idea that suits Simon's gearhead background.