Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Legion/Superboy quesiton

Dear friends and associates,

I don't normally post here or in most DC forums, but long ago I was a big fan of most DC comics and of course Legion of Super Heroes.

I am trying to remember a story and panel from maybe around COIE but a Legion story.
    Saturn Girl is giving tribute to Superboy because of his sacrifice.

I think he is the greatest of us all, or some such is said. Possibly a COIE crossover with Time Trapper villain of the old LSH.
    Does anyone remember this/panel or possibly can help me find it?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

That's probably Vol 3 of the Legion of Super-Heroes, issue #38, "The Greatest Hero of them All," in which the pocket universe Superboy, along with the Legion, square off against the Time Trapper. This (I think) is the panel you're thinking of:

legion-v3-38c.jpg

Correct, this is the panel and issue in question.

This is part of an August / September 1987 crossover consisting of Legion (vol 3) # 37, Superman (vol 2) # 8, Action Comisc # 591, and finishing off in Legion # 38.

Though "canonical thinking" and wiki logic tend to call this character the "pocket universe Superboy," in fact he was meant to be read, in a meaningful way (despite some ugly retcon twisting) as... Superboy, the Real Steel Deal who had adventured with the Legion for years - minus his future as Superman.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

These are close, but I'm old and seem to remember a Saturn Girl panel, full face, where she says some incredible words about how he would always go beyond all of them or anyone to be the best hero.

So it may be another panel. For some reason, I feel it was the old Curt Swan drawings. But the time period is close enough to COIE. Thanks, this is helpful.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Astonishing Member

I wonder if that was Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?'. I know the Legion appeared in it, but don't recall the specific panel you are referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I wonder if that was Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?'. I know the Legion appeared in it, but don't recall the specific panel you are referencing.
    That seemed like a good guess (Swan, Legion, Crisis-era), but, as it turns out, Saturn Girl did almost no talking in that scene. It was mostly Superman and Brainiac 5 going back and forth.

I think what you are talking about is Legion of Super-heroes(vol 3) # 49, just before the biggest fight against the Time Trapper in issue 50. There is an scene where Saturn Girl is describing the burial of PU Superboy and the beggining of the Conspiracy. There are several close-up on Saturn girl face.
    Pencils by Pat Broderick:
    00_Legion_49_panels.jpg
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I appreciate the work done here but I'm sure these are not what I'm thinking.

It could be I'm really not remembering it correctly: it was in the mid '80s. I think it was an actual Legion or Legion with Super boy run and Swan. The panel is near the end and Saturn Girl pretty much says that Superboy would never want anyone else to know how hard it was/is (the struggle or the dying) and that thus he was the best of them all.

It was quite poignant which is why I seem to remember it.
    btw, I love Pat Broderick. He was doing Marvel's Captain Marvel somewhere in that era.

Well, I'm supposed to be a librarian/info person, so I'm going to just keep searching too.

Thanks again all.
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    That's probably Vol 3 of the Legion of Super-Heroes, issue #38, "The Greatest Hero of them All," in which the pocket universe Superboy, along with the Legion, square off against the Time Trapper. This (I think) is the panel you're thinking of:

legion-v3-38c.jpg
    Sad, sad issue if you were a fan and read it at the time. Superman had just been revamped and the Superboy stuff had to be retconned out and explained away and what they came up with wasn't a bad sendoff. The shot of Mon El there got to me when I was younger and first saw that page.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Where ever I go in the comic universe (65, reading since the mid '60s and throughout) I have several constants.
    Blonde female characters are my favorities:

Supergirl, Saturn Girl Flamebird

Invisible Woman Carol Danvers/Cap marvel, various others. And I just tend to like female characters or plot-driven stories more.
    But I once bought and read dozens of DC and Marvel every month.
    Along with my wife, ummm, who is blonde, more gray these days.
    Thanks for everyone's help. I do remember this last story/panel, maybe I'll figure out the one I'm looking for some day.
    ~ Oberon ~

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

It could be I'm really not remembering it correctly: it was in the mid '80s. I think it was an actual Legion or Legion with Super boy run and Swan. The panel is near the end and Saturn Girl pretty much says that Superboy would never want anyone else to know how hard it was/is (the struggle or the dying) and that thus he was the best of them all.

btw, I love Pat Broderick. He was doing Marvel's Captain Marvel somewhere in that era.

Well, I'm supposed to be a librarian/info person, so I'm going to just keep searching too.

Thanks again all.
    I think this was in the last issue of Superboy and the Legion as Superboy leaves for good. but I'm not anywhere near my run to check

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    I think this was in the last issue of Superboy and the Legion as Superboy leaves for good. but I'm not anywhere near my run to check
    If you go to this link and scroll down about a quarter of way and you'll see the final page from that issue. Superboy is leaving after Saturn Girl's telepathic hypnotic suggestion. Mon-El says "I think he is the best of us all".

https://www.chrisisoninfiniteearths....-259-1980.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Thanks again all.
    Mid 80's + Swan + Legion + Superboy + Saturn Girl really narrows down the choices considerably. But man, I can't really place it.

I wonder if it's a random Superman/Action issue, or DC Comics Presents?

It's not Swan, but this early 80's page from the end of Legion #259 seems to tick off a number of boxes:

Superboy_259 (481x640).jpg

Congratulations! You found it. It clearly does not seem to be Swan, so my memory is worse than I thought.

I got a little tear in my eye to read that. Thanks so much. It really means a lot to me, because this particular version of Superboy and LSH are my favorite.
    ~ Oberon ~